Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 08:18   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T
Re: No see um hatch covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Those are easy to remove when the 0300 rain squall necessitates closing the hatch. They are also much easier to stow away than anything with a frame.
This works well for the small hatches over the galley and Pullman berth; not too sure how it would be for a large opening.
Old 22-11-2016, 09:17   #17

The best silicone adhesive, by far, is "Shoe Goo" available in the shoe department at Wal-Mart. It is made for affixing soles of shoes and is unbelievably tough and adherent. We keep several tubes aboard for any flexible bond we need, including velco strips around screens.
suenodelmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 10:35   #18

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Surround the hatch opening inside on your headliner with velcro. Seam Velcro to the edges of your oversized screens sized to the interior Velcro. They stay in place at all times. To open, close or secure the hatch just pull open one corner to put your hand thru. Easy!
Old 22-11-2016, 10:55   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You can probably find more ideas in places like Cruising World, & Sail magazine. Books in the same style as The Sailor's Sketch Book via Amazon.com recommendations, etc. And said publications also have hundreds of other trick projects with which to customize your boat. Great for winter reading, & workshop fiddling.

If you're not sure how to build such items. First sketch them out on paper, & work though building them inside of your head. Do dry runs in cardboard, or with door skins, & then give the real thing a try. The materials aren't expensive, & are easy to work with. So you can refine your designs a few times along the way to building something that you love, & others drool over.

Most of making things gorgeous has to do with the finish that goes on them. Be it paint, varnish, epoxy, or other. Though a well executed design that shows off the material's natural beauty surely helps.
Let the kids/teenagers run wild with things, they have inventive minds. And then you can show them the little tricks that go with making a nice design look professional. Makes for good family time.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 11:12   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
You can probably find more ideas in places like Cruising World, & Sail magazine. Books in the same style as The Sailor's Sketch Book via Amazon.com recommendations, etc. And said publications also have hundreds of other trick projects with which to customize your boat. Great for winter reading, & workshop fiddling.

If you're not sure how to build such items. First sketch them out on paper, & work though building them inside of your head. Do dry runs in cardboard, or with door skins, & then give the real thing a try. The materials aren't expensive, & are easy to work with. So you can refine your designs a few times along the way to building something that you love, & others drool over.

Most of making things gorgeous has to do with the finish that goes on them. Be it paint, varnish, epoxy, or other. Though a well executed design that shows off the material's natural beauty surely helps.
Let the kids/teenagers run wild with things, they have inventive minds. And then you can show them the little tricks that go with making a nice design look professional. Makes for good family time.
All good suggestions here and from others. I'm leaning heavily towards the Velcro and silicone method. I especially like just tearing loose one end of the screen to open and close the hatch allowing the screen to stay in place instead of storing. My other take away is that no see um screen is too dense to allow air flow and may just carry a roll of no see um screen to throw over the mosquito netting in the event of an attack. I'd rather sweat a night or two versus giving blood the the bugs red cross.
I'll be back on "Joli Elle" and sailing in January. I will post pictures of the final product...CS
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 11:20   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Celestial Sailor:

As Jim wrote, we have regular fly screen. If no-see-ums are a problem, I then take generic cockroach surface spray and spray the outside of the screens with that. That discourages the midges, no-see-ums, and sand flies. It also, generally speaking, does stay effective for up to 2 months. I use newspaper to catch the overspray, and dispose of it ashore. I am certain permethrins would work as well, but having it already in a spray makes application much easier.

I'm glad to see you're addressing the issue. Getting serious about insect prophylaxis is a health issue, as well as comfort.

Ann
Old 22-11-2016, 11:23   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREX View Post
Tried screens and Velcro. Best solution, and lasted 8 years before selling boat so still might be working, is a simple line of silicone and then apply velcro, preferably 1.5" minimum width. Never ever had a problem. All that time lived aboard and in Fl.

As previously mentioned air doesn't like to pass. Good luck.

That's interesting. We never tried more than 1" wide velcro, and were unable to get it to stick for a long enough time. However, the glue was never silicone based, either.

Ann
Old 22-11-2016, 17:23   #23

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

When putting up the velcro screens don't press them tightly to the velcro other half. Only touch them enough to keep out the bugs.
Pressing them tightly makes it more likely that when you pull the screen off you will weaken or destroy the bond that attaches the other half to the overhead/hatch/whatever you attached it to.

I have proved that by peer reviewed research lol.
Old 22-11-2016, 17:45   #24

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

On Velcro, & it wanting to tear itself free from what it's bonded to when you pull the 2 halves apart. There are several different grades of the stuff, & with each the tenacity of the hook & loop fasteners is different. So that for use in an application where little strength is required like this one, it could be worth finding some which is of the type which sticks to itself with less force required for removal.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 15:49   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

So ended up buying 75ft. of 1/2" hook and loop from ULINE. Believe it or not it was cheaper to buy 75ft. through them than going to a fabric store and buying 3 ft. It is not the self stick type as i want to control the adhesion strength and longevity. So I am using silicone seal and silicone glue.
In a few months I'll take some pictures and post them here.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 16:01   #26

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So ended up buying 75ft. of 1/2" hook and loop from ULINE. Believe it or not it was cheaper to buy 75ft. through them than going to a fabric store and buying 3 ft. It is not the self stick type as i want to control the adhesion strength and longevity. So I am using silicone seal and silicone glue.
In a few months I'll take some pictures and post them here.
It's amazing the markup on small quantities. I bought 100' of shrink tubing for less than the commercial cut and poly packaged high priced stuff.

I am also making new screens for my hatches and will us my U-Line connection now. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:10   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

throttle cable and transmission cable-- short lengths make excellent holders for mosqito netting screens. i use the mil spec type as i have a source.
removable and stowable and replaceable when holed. yes they will hole.
i have so far, nothing permanently made for my ports and hatches but i get no no seeums in my boat.
win win .
i also have skeeter netting, same mil spec, under home depot netting for my companionway and hatch. it works. no frame as yet-- works well with clamps and clothespins so when destroyed , which it will be by season's end, i replace with new. no issue. no insects.
i win here also.
neighbors with traditional screens complain and itch a lot.
i have yet to get dengue or zika or chikingunya or malaria or other skeeterborne diseases-- neighbors are sick. oops. one across the dock neighbor just finished his third round of dengue fever. yes he has traditional screens affixed in place.
we each deal with this as we are able to avoid the issues brought on by mosquitos and jejenes.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch