Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2023, 13:32   #1

Boat: Helia 44, Fountaine Pajot
Mooring line diameter

I need to replace all the mooring lines on my newly acquired Helia 44. I’m planning to run with 2 x 20M and 3 x 13M. What diameter and type of rope do you recommend? And do you agree with my length suggestions?
gezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 14:38   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Mooring line diameter

You probably displace more than we do, at 9 tonnes, and we're shaped with less windage as well, but the Marina Sud in Noumea demanded that we have 4 16 mm nylon twisted three strand lines for tying up there during cyclone season. I would not want to use cheap, slippery, light, floating silver line to tie up our boat during cyclone season.

Ann
Old 20-03-2023, 15:38   #3

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Lengths and quantity looks good. 2 nice springs and one for each corner plus one extra.

My V42 (') Tayana is heavy at 33000lbs. I use 3/4"/19mm double braid and as they wear out I am changing to 19mm New England Ropes Brait which is 8 strand. easy to splice, very supple, stores a lot better than three strand and very strong. No idea if they have it in Oz. You want something with give but high strength. Stowing them should be considered also. I have nothing against three strand other than it doesn't store as nicely as double braid or Brait.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 16:07   #4

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

On our 22,000 lb 43 ft boat, our traveling lines are 1/2" Megabraid by New England Ropes. We love how supple they are and how light they are, making it easy to use and store. Some would consider them to be one size too small, but as traveling lines that are constantly seeing chafe at different locations and are "inspected" (i.e, coiled) every two or three days, we find them quite adequate. Note that the Megabraid is considerably stretchier than double braid, and almost as stretchy as three strand. Several of our lines are about 30 ft long, which which often is insufficient (but when they are sufficient, it makes them lighter and easier to handle). We then have a selection of other lines that go up to about 60 ft. We also have, but very rarely use, 5/8 and 3/4 three strand in the 100-150' range.

It is worth noting that longer lines reduce shock loading by stretching more, but often times when traveling you are constrained with where you can put the lines. If you only have a six or eight foot (or less!) stern line, the half inch line is considerably more gentle on your cleats than a three-quarter inch line that long would be.

For our permanent lines at our home dock, we use a mix of 5/8 and 3/4.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 16:33   #5

Boat: Hylas 46

It depends on how you use the boat.

I recommend having six (five minimum) on the boat all the time. We have that, but then we also have five lines in the slip that we leave there when we go sailing - L-shaped slip with the usual springs x2, bow and stern to main pier plus additional stern going to the other side. Obviously a little more cost having additional lines but makes docking easier. The six on the boat live in the locker with little use so far (newish boat).

As for length: two at least as long as the boat (so about 15m min. for your boat, proposed 20m is good), two short (half length of long ones, so 10m) and two intermediate (15m). For ones that stay with the slip they could be customized to the application and potentially much shorter (to save a bit of dough).

If you mostly sail in and out of your slip (like we have so far) the boat lines can be more basic. The more you dock in other locations it's nice to have more quantity and variety.

I didn't look up your boat specifics so won't comment on diameter. I know its a cat, but not weight.

edit: Harry got there first. And yeah, longer is usually better.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 16:35   #6

Sounds right to me. As for type of line; as mentioned, three strand twisted. This allows an easy large spliced eye at one end. By throwing an eye to someone on the dock, and instructing them to drop it over a bollard takes control out their hands and enables you as captain, to maneuver your vessel as you want.
Liza Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 16:39   #7

Boat: Hullmaster 27

For length I like to make the bow and midship lines not quite long enough to reach the prop if/when they are dropped in the water while docking ... once was enough.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 16:52   #8

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
For length I like to make the bow and midship lines not quite long enough to reach the prop if/when they are dropped in the water while docking ... once was enough.

I really like this idea!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2023, 22:55   #9

Boat: Helia 44, Fountaine Pajot

thanks for all the replies. I now have a full set of brand new mooring lines.
gezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 01:50   #10

I highly recommend one very long line in the 100‘ to 150‘ range. That is good for anchoring with land-line or in case you have a difficult approach to a rocky shore or a quay with high waves. In some cases you like to throw a thin line and follow up with one mooring line as the first fix to shore. Two boat length would be minimum for that purpose in my view and provide important help for a first connection and hold in unexpected difficult situations.
jo_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 06:14   #11

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_sail View Post
I highly recommend one very long line in the 100‘ to 150‘ range. That is good for anchoring with land-line or in case you have a difficult approach to a rocky shore or a quay with high waves. In some cases you like to throw a thin line and follow up with one mooring line as the first fix to shore. Two boat length would be minimum for that purpose in my view and provide important help for a first connection and hold in unexpected difficult situations.
And also useful for the reverse. I used a 75 or 100 foot one once when I was in a tight position along a bulkhead with a boat directly behind me, and a fairly strong wind pushing me against the bulkhead. I took a stern line to a far pier and had a helper pull on that until my stern was clear of the boat behind me. Then powerful backing as the helper dropped the stern line and my wife pulled it in.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 18:52   #12

Boat: Oyster 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza Lee View Post
Sounds right to me. As for type of line; as mentioned, three strand twisted. This allows an easy large spliced eye at one end. By throwing an eye to someone on the dock, and instructing them to drop it over a bollard takes control out their hands and enables you as captain, to maneuver your vessel as you want.
I agree with Liza. This is the best way, if you have crew, to do it. Otherwise you get the new dock boy at the marina tying you off too early before you've straightened up and slamming your hull into the dock.

Sew in a 6' piece of firehose after the splice.

IMHO mooring lines and working lines are 2 different things. Mooring lines should be made to fit at a reasonable length for most situations. Say 40' or so, depending on your length and freeboard.

Having 600'+ of extra line is smart. Those aren't mooring lines, but you should have one out when mooring in case you need it.
Old 25-08-2023, 07:13   #13

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Don’t have a diameter recommendation but make sure it’s a line that can stretch. Also make sure the legs on the bridle are at least the same length as the width of your catamaran. That way you get a reduced load at the connection points and it helps prevent you from sailing at anchor.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring