Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 09:47   #1

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Midships galley

Looking for a "new to me" sailboat. Having had three previously, I find myself getting more and more stuck in my ways as to what I want.
Recently I have been looking at a s/v with a mid ships galley on the starboard side of the cabin, dinette on the port. I am used to aft ships galleys, either port or starboard where your a bit tucked in and things can be pretty secured.. My initial concern is the overall security of a midships galley, both underway and just getting fore and aft underway. Any of you out there have opinions on this layout. I know several models of s/v offer this design, but what is your experience as to the actuality functionality of such a set up ?
I appreciate your input.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 09:52   #2

Re: Midships galley

I agree. I think they are a disaster in the making.

One of the other drawbacks is the space they consume, and how, for exactly the same boat, the saloon appears much smaller.

A perfect example is the Catalina 42. On the mdiships galley, the dinette is substantially smaller. You can view this on the Catalina Yachts website under Archived Brochures.

The port aft galley on that boat is so far superior. It provides a safer galley, more storage and a much larger saloon and seating area.

I don't like them at all.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 10:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The midship galley has the least motion at sea because it is at the center of rotation. Still have side forces to deal with but not fore and aft as much. Usually you get two quarter berths with a midship galley which makes for two sea berths that don't take yoga skills to get into. The quarter berths make for good child staterooms if you are a family or storage for bulky items if you don't need them for sleeping. Definitely need a seat belt to use safely on the wrong tack.

Having said the above, still prefer an aft galley.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 16:18   #4

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Thank you, you folks pretty much confirm my thinking here. Appreciate your help.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 09:29   #5

I quite enjoyed using a midships galley, with a securing safety rope to lean against, it was quite comfortable and efficient.

Let's just say it would never put me off buying a boat with one if I liked everything else about the boat, but I do prefer an aft, 'U' shaped galley (much more convenient for passing mugs of OXO up through the companionway for example).
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley