Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2014, 07:57   #1

Mast noise from wiring--loose PVC

Help--I have a Freya 39 with a very annoying problem that I need help with. When at anchor it is almost impossible to sleep because the PVC pipe that goes down the mast has become detached and slaps against the inside of the mast. I thought I had solved the problem as I could get to and strap the pipe below decks however....when I looked inside the mast yesterday with flashlight I saw that there is actually another PVC piper (3/4")running down the center of the mast and that must be the real offender. Any ideas on how to fix it in place so this annoying clanking will stop? I do have access in two spots below decks with wiring holes that are about 1" in diameter but where to from there?
Thanks for any ideas short of unstepping the mast.
zuckerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 08:38   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Mast noise from wiring--loose PVC

noise cancelling headphones for sleeping - Bing

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 08:52   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

What steve suggested until you can pull the mast and do a proper repair. I feel your pain. We had the same issue and had to live with it for about a year.
Old 23-04-2014, 10:18   #4

Boat: Niagara Nautilus 36

There's always the trusty old

pull-hardware-and-shoot-some-expanding-foam-in-the-mast trick!

Btw, actually did work for me on one boat that the VHF antenna wire just wouldn't shut up.

Hell, I'd drill holes in the mast just to get some peace from that kind of thing.

Good luck,
Les
Niagara Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 20:59   #5

Thanks for the replies....I think I got really lucky, however, I won't know until I take her out and anchor up or just roll around outside the harbor. I drilled a couple of really small holes in the mast and fished some stainless wire around the PVC pipes and made a small hook on the end of another piece of stainless wire and pulled it back through the hole in the mast that was drilled for the wires to pass out of the mast below decks. I actually couldn't believe that I was able to see inside the mast enough to do this delicate operation but I managed to do it six times and then twisted the ends of the stainless wire together to tighten everything up inside the mast and pull the PVC up against the side. Definitely just a temporary fix but might save some money on earplugs!
zuckerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 21:31   #6

Boat: O'Day 302

Your macgeyver rig is almost how it's done at the factory. 2 holes are drilled next to each other at regular intervals along the mast. One of the pair is used for sticking a metal hook in to pull the PVC tight to the mast wall. The other hole then gets drilled through the PVC and riveted. Fill the empty hole for your hook with another rivet.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:04   #7

Boat: Aloha 28 "Gypsy"

If you are dropping the mast, pull out the pipe and put three good sized tie-wraps, 120 deg apart, every 3-4'. Cinch them tight and leave the tails on. When you reinstall the pipe, the tie-wraps keep the pipe ( or wire bundle) from moving around and slapping against the mast. Did this three years ago and still no problem. The tie-wraps are flexible enough to not interfere with any internal halyards.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckerfish View Post
Thanks for the replies....I think I got really lucky, however, I won't know until I take her out and anchor up or just roll around outside the harbor. I drilled a couple of really small holes in the mast and fished some stainless wire around the PVC pipes and made a small hook on the end of another piece of stainless wire and pulled it back through the hole in the mast that was drilled for the wires to pass out of the mast below decks. I actually couldn't believe that I was able to see inside the mast enough to do this delicate operation but I managed to do it six times and then twisted the ends of the stainless wire together to tighten everything up inside the mast and pull the PVC up against the side. Definitely just a temporary fix but might save some money on earplugs!
This is how they are often installed, similar to what you did:
*Drill a hole adjacent to where the conduit will sit against/inside the mast.
*Using a coat hanger with a hook shape on the end fish it in the hole and pull the conduit against the inside of the mast.
* While holding the conduit drill a hole thru the mast and into the conduit.
*Now pop rivet the conduit in place.
* Do this as many places as you see fit. Maybe every 2-4 ft.
* fill the coathanger holes with another pop rivet.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:56   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
This is how they are often installed, similar to what you did:
*Drill a hole adjacent to where the conduit will sit against/inside the mast.
*Using a coat hanger with a hook shape on the end fish it in the hole and pull the conduit against the inside of the mast.
* While holding the conduit drill a hole thru the mast and into the conduit.
*Now pop rivet the conduit in place.
* Do this as many places as you see fit. Maybe every 2-4 ft.
* fill the coathanger holes with another pop rivet.
I'm certain all the folks that have suggested this mean to do it after you've unstepped the mast. I'd not try this until your mast is down and there are no wires in the conduit. It's pretty easy to drill into a wire or snag a halyard.
Old 24-07-2014, 11:59   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Foam in the mast will collect moisture and start corroding the mast from inside. Wire tie wraps work very well but, again, you'll have to install them after unstepping the mast. Also, the wire tie will rub on the interior wall of your mast over years and wear away the annodizing.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I'm certain all the folks that have suggested this mean to do it after you've unstepped the mast. I'd not try this until your mast is down and there are no wires in the conduit. It's pretty easy to drill into a wire or snag a halyard.
One would have to be careful and not be a newbie on the end of a drill for sure! Be a PITA on a bosun's chair also.
I'm assuming this boat has internal halyards as most do... so the foam isn't going to work.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, noise, wiring