Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: LA NOCHE DE LOS BANDITOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would:
2) change my place on Earth, asap,

b.
OK Barny, where exactly is this place on earth that you would relocate to?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-04-2011, 20:48   #32

Marinas aren't as bad as here in the States. I am working to save $ to get back down there. I loved taking the small buses around Ensenada & out to Costco and Walmart. Then back to town for fresh tortillas & Soriana's. If u have a chance -go to Papagayo Cantina out near Marina Coral for karaoke. It can be crazy!! And of course Hussongs! Our favorite taqueria was Las Brisas. Norma is great. Enjoy your time there.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 24-04-2011, 09:39   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Obviously not CF readers or they'd have known better.....
Good to know your still truckin Zee... been offline again this week...
next delivery please... make it a good un... these little hops are worse than day sailing....
I think he was speaking from the Banditos' perspective. Positive note to Zee.
Caribbean53 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 24-04-2011, 10:35   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: La Noche de los Banditos

this isnt bad place to suffer a wait--is a lil pricy in marinas, but thye cheap food kind makes up for it----i just have to remember to buy cream for my coffee---lol----no one hs approached at all nor made loud comments in darkness any more--is great!!!!
i dont go out much--trying to conserve as many duckets as possible-- this extra length of stay is killing my wallet bad....SOOOOON i will be going--now otto is back into working condition and alladat, i just need a new battery bank to support him...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-04-2011, 15:46   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
How about a couple of locally produced bottle rockets shot over their bow and an M80 blasted on the water. All followed up immediately with a long range blast of pepper spray or wasp spray.

Im sure i'll catch hell for this but i'd rather be on the offense than defense.
You won't get any flak from me.Stealing someone's "car" is leaving them without a way to get ashore. No Americans are not made of money, in fact some of us have very little. We just try to live within our means.

Good Job Zee.
Nusailr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-04-2011, 17:43   #36

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
... We were 50 miles off shore past Mag Bay when we were approached by a panga with 3 guys. Really odd that far out. They asked how deep- we said 300 ft (all in Spanish) They looked at each other & went off. Our friends from Mexico said they were probably looking for drug pick up boat that looked like us in that area. It was weird & kinda scary as it was my husband & me against 3 of them and I don't have the bat OR wasp spray. We will when we go again next year!
Had a similar encounter also off Mag Bay, maybe thirty miles out, sailing along when a panga came from out of the west and fell in behind me. Turned out they wanted to trade lobster for cookies or fruit. Still have no idea where they came from...
Off shore of Columbia and Ecuador you encounter pangas fishing 100 miles (not a typo) out. Open boat, outboard motor, 100 miles from shore for days on end...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-04-2011, 17:56   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
Turned out they wanted to trade lobster for cookies or fruit.
That happened to me once, miles from nowhere, except the pangeros wanted to trade lobster for Budweiser. Unfortunately, the only beer I had aboard was Modelo Especial, which didn't interest them in the least.

Ever since then, when I head down south, I carry a bit of Bud for trading purposes.
Old 25-04-2011, 18:15   #38

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
Had a similar encounter also off Mag Bay, maybe thirty miles out, sailing along when a panga came from out of the west and fell in behind me. Turned out they wanted to trade lobster for cookies or fruit. Still have no idea where they came from...
Off shore of Columbia and Ecuador you encounter pangas fishing 100 miles (not a typo) out. Open boat, outboard motor, 100 miles from shore for days on end...

Michael
Keep a sharp lookout when sailing at night down the west side of Mexico and Central America! The fisherman are using nets 200 feet in length or single lines that are longer.
If/When you see someone in the distance waving a flashlight, immediately do a 90* turn as you're in danger of crossing their net or line. If they continue to wave a light, take further evaisive action.
Singlehandlers DO NOT sleep. nap, or spent very much time below deck at night!!! If ever their is a place you need crew, this is it.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-04-2011, 14:19   #39

thankyou for the advice on the nets and long lines. we will make cabo our first stop, then i will solo to mazatlan after i drop juan off .... just need a bit mor efuel and some other stuff for trip and mend mizzen and go.... kinda looking for a replacement mizzensail as a backup....
Old 27-04-2011, 17:21   #40

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
If I can ward off boarders with light, noise, my dog and a big stick I would prefer that to the hell I would catch for being armed like this in a Mexican port.

Or any port for that matter...
I agree that diffusing a potential "situation" is always better than escalating a situation. Always. But I also believe there's no better defensive tactic than the element of surprise. And what I said, I think, is similar to Sarafina's comment. Her "light" = my "bottle rocket". Her "noise" = my "m80". And bottle rockets and m80s are not illegal in Mexico (at least not during the last 100x I have been there) so I would not consider myself to be "armed" if I had them in my possession. I would never condone illegal course of action. Bottom Line: I'm very glad Zeehag is safe.
Old 27-04-2011, 18:51   #41

Boat: Islander 37 'Taku Wind'

Ever think of using your air horn?
Old 28-04-2011, 12:21   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrsn View Post
Ever think of using your air horn?

i dont have an airhorn, but i DO have a good loud whistle not approved by uscg, as the cork allegedly swells in water-- now , the one i have is more than 30 yrs old, and was used successfully in alerting sports car racing officials and team workers to situations during the course of a racing event while on track --even louder than nascar noises..LOl....has been left in all kindsa situations with water and seawater and never swells..LOL uscg arent always on top of things......i LOVE my whistle..and my bright headlamp!!!!! and mylouisville slugger with the huge ss hook on it..LOL..... scary thing, that gaff....
Old 28-04-2011, 13:42   #43

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

I was shuffling through some stuff in the shop the other day to see what I might keep and/or get rid of when I came upon an old 12v alarm horn.
I touched the wires across a battery and it jus' about scared me out my shoes. Digging a little deeper I found an old motion detector. I believe I'll mount the horn on the cabin roof with the motion detector aimed aft (no animals allowed on board) and also add a panic button inside. That horn would scare Godzilla away and attract the eyes of many witnesses nearby.
Sorry it scared you Zee.
I saw a State Dept. map the other day and the only place that wasn't marked as a place to avoid was baja and the very southern end of the country.
Stay thirsty my friend-
Kenny
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-04-2011, 17:52   #44

isnt dangerous from death here--is only dangerous from theft ....i seem now to be protected... or i am so loco i am safe....i like to think loca....LOL
Old 28-04-2011, 18:01   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Noche de los Banditos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
I was shuffling through some stuff in the shop the other day to see what I might keep and/or get rid of when I came upon an old 12v alarm horn.
I touched the wires across a battery and it jus' about scared me out my shoes. Digging a little deeper I found an old motion detector. I believe I'll mount the horn on the cabin roof with the motion detector aimed aft (no animals allowed on board) and also add a panic button inside. That horn would scare Godzilla away and attract the eyes of many witnesses nearby.
Sorry it scared you Zee.
I saw a State Dept. map the other day and the only place that wasn't marked as a place to avoid was baja and the very southern end of the country.
Stay thirsty my friend-
Kenny
Why has this become a "HOT TOPIC".... are we anti 'Louisville Slugger' as well now....
Kenny.... I'm disappointed mate... with the 'Chaos' bit I'da thought you'd have a sign hangin saying "Owners Ashore"... just so's you could wreak 'Chaos'...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply