Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2011, 18:53   #16

Re: LA NOCHE DE LOS BANDITOS

Isn't that part of Mexico infamous for it's nasty gangland wars and corrupt officials? I and others applaud you for standing up for yourself, a job well done. Although this makes for great reading, do you not think that it is a little fool hearty to write about your exploits and describing your defence in detail? Given the notorious reputation that this area has.
spiritbaer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 21:38   #17

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Zee,
Glad to hear you're alright! But Ensenada is still in the danger zone of being close to the border with the US with to many disperate, ceZY, bad folks hanging around.
Grab a three or four day weather window and get the heck out of Dodge!!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 21:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbaer View Post
Isn't that part of Mexico infamous for it's nasty gangland wars and corrupt officials? I and others applaud you for standing up for yourself, a job well done. Although this makes for great reading, do you not think that it is a little fool hearty to write about your exploits and describing your defence in detail? Given the notorious reputation that this area has.
Ensenada is NOT in the middle of GANGLAND WARS....

I had my boat worked on at BAJA NAVAL, and at first was expecting all the horrible street gun fights and all... In the end I was riding a motorcycle to Ensenada from San Diego. No Problem.

I was told by the locals, that if I am NOT USING or BUYING drugs, and if I am not DRUNK and unaware... then Ensinada is a SAFE and LOVELY place....

and it was.. (My last trip down there was in Jan, and I have friends who are there at all times.....)

Theft? Theft happens all the time in all places... Every country in the world has prisons.... and they are not just for foreigners........

I was lucky and did not have an issue..

A good source of information in Ensenada for Cruisers is Ensenada Cruisers... They have a morning Net "The Cruisers Net operates weekly -Monday thru Saturday and begins at 8.00 AM
on VHF Radio -69 ( 9.00 AM Saturday ) After the Cruisers Net listen for detailed marine weather, world news and announcements of local events "
where they do look out for one another... I would suggest to get on it ASAP and insure that you do not have any issues, as well as finding out if they are aware of any issues.

Best of luck.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 22:36   #19

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I really don't want to belabor the point about conditions in Ensanada but it sits on a major route for illegals that runs from Costr Rico to SD. People arrive with no money and need cash to get coyotes ti get them acrossed the border. A single lady is a very easy target.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 22-04-2011, 11:55   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

from what i have seen of ensenada, the alleged gangland violence is not here-- i dont get into anyones way unless they try to take from me or other souls. i believe i did right thing-- i was advised by my friend and helper, juan, that i did, and that the guys wouldnt return. so far, so good.
i am awaiting info regarding the repair of my simrad otto von pilote..... needs a wire or connection repaired--- when that is done, i will leave for maz--- hopefully to get there on payday so i can pay helpers and buy fuel and such. i am looking forward to having a good otto with me-is our lifesaving non human crew.....
the guys who came around in the night are workers for an internationaal energy corp who seem to be supplementing their income and not into real violence---just lifting that which is easily lifted at the expense of the gringo yachtie, who , of course, is super rich and able to swallow the loss... so far, so good--i am now known as someone not easily stolen from, so is a good thing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 22-04-2011, 15:28   #21
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Im sure i'll catch hell for this but i'd rather be on the offense than defense.
If I can ward off boarders with light, noise, my dog and a big stick I would prefer that to the hell I would catch for being armed like this in a Mexican port.

Or any port for that matter...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 22-04-2011, 16:28   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Unfortunately the violent world that is around us cruisers is more, and more a part of our life. It should be able to be discussed. Zee you did good, and BEST WISHES in continuing on........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 22-04-2011, 16:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Unfortunately the violent world that is around us cruisers is more, and more a part of our life. It should be able to be discussed. Zee you did good, and BEST WISHES in continuing on........i2f
thankyou!! i must have done gud, as the boys are remaining away frommy boat!! i also now have my otto von helme fixed soi have an exra crewman for me--lol.... is simrad and awesomest thing i ever met in auto piloting--cannot change course by hand with it engaged--HAVE to use the control head-- wonderfully strong..... makes autohelmbrand look like a baby toy....i am soo jazzed!!! now to sew mizzen tear ....LOL....

as for the violence in this world-- so much and so many--- is not improving--i am glad my method actually does work--was simple and easy , and i got to see wherefrom the guys come and go ...hopefully will help others in the future...

and is sooeasy to act crazy enough for folks to give wide berth..LOL....as long as one doesnt attract the attention of the psych folks, is alll good..LOL
Old 22-04-2011, 18:46   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

I would:

1) invest into a good dictionary,
2) change my place on Earth, asap,

Fighting off is only good if you are a) trained to fight, b) have a way disappear as soon as you win, and c) are ready to die.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-04-2011, 07:24   #25

Sorry you had to go through that! When we were there last year we had no problems. We did have one incident you should be on look out since u r heading south. We were 50 miles off shore past Mag Bay when we were approached by a panga with 3 guys. Really odd that far out. They asked how deep- we said 300 ft (all in Spanish) They looked at each other & went off. Our friends from Mexico said they were probably looking for drug pick up boat that looked like us in that area. It was weird & kinda scary as it was my husband & me against 3 of them and I don't have the bat OR wasp spray. We will when we go again next year!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-04-2011, 11:41   #26

now, THAT sounds scary--
mine was mostly a scare em and watch em thing-- worked so far, and the desirable items are hidden well, now, inside boat...i allowed juan to tell folks they were stolen, and i havent anyhting more to steal..LOL.... so far, so good....
Old 23-04-2011, 12:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
now, THAT sounds scary--
mine was mostly a scare em and watch em thing-- worked so far, and the desirable items are hidden well, now, inside boat...i allowed juan to tell folks they were stolen, and i havent anyhting more to steal..LOL.... so far, so good....
That's a good idea. Can't steal what is already stolen. We were a bit confused by the whole deal. I just wanted to let others know so they could be on the lookout. Otherwise we had a wonderful time in Mexico. I hope u have a great time there too!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-04-2011, 12:12   #28

aside from being a border town, this isnt a too bad place-- priciness of marinas is a killer for low budget sailors, but the food is cheap and lots of partying here-- donot need to use the radio for music..LOL is everywhere. folks who arent banditos are good folks and helpful. the water front is always alive.. is fun to watch...
Old 23-04-2011, 16:21   #29

Boat: grampian 26

I think the word has gotten out. "Don't go near that gringo lady, she crazy".
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-04-2011, 16:24   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: LA NOCHE DE LOS BANDITOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
I think the word has gotten out. "Don't go near that gringo lady, she crazy".
Obviously not CF readers or they'd have known better.....
Good to know your still truckin Zee... been offline again this week...
next delivery please... make it a good un... these little hops are worse than day sailing....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply