Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2012, 11:51   #106

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
We're doing the above and it must be the hardest part of going cruising.

I made the decision not to put anything into storage as we're not planning on coming back to Sydney and we're not sure where we'll end up eventually.

Everything is getting split into "piles": stuff for relatives, stuff going to charity, stuff going onto the boat (not more than a carload!).

Questions: Other than photos and personal mementos (I never dreamed I'd have so many!) is there any item that yous feel you should have kept but didn't?

And: We're in Oz so it might be different here but the idea of letting strangers come into our home to look at what might be worthless junk really doesn't appeal. Is it worth the few dollars that I might get to sell a few things or are they better given to charity?
In the end we did not keep much stuff, what we did went to my sister-in-laws garage. We also do not believe we will return to the place we started from, Utah.

So far there is nothing that we got rid of that I think we should have kept. I did end up with about two boxes of stuff I decided I did not need on the boat and mailed it back to my sister-in-law.

There was so little value to our stuff, after the kids picked through it, that nearly all of it went to charity. It was easier, they would come pick it up! And now I can claim it on next years taxes -- I hope.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 12:02   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor
Has anyone else notice that keys breed when you are ashore?
LOL, you should have seen how many keys I threw away. My husband would never throw old keys away, convinced he would find something locked he had forgotten about!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 27-10-2012, 18:02   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Is This Normal? Getting Rid of Our Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
................... Has anyone else notice that keys breed when you are ashore?....................................
Interesting idea,- so I took a careful accounting. I have some combination locks and cables, but only one key and that's for the ignition on my Yanmar. No! One more,- my diesel generator starts with a key, but I never carry these keys anywhere or keep them on a ring or in my pocket. Before I retired I had car keys and a ring at work with about a dozen keys. Maybe there's an index that measures freedom inversely proportional to the number of keys!
Old 27-10-2012, 20:18   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I have piles of keys and a fairly large rollaway toolbox in storage in Ohio - Last July I attempted to visit the storage and get some tools out - I locked that box 7 years ago and for the life of me can't find that set of keys.

Plenty of others, though...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 20:54   #110

Ha, but every supermarket we go to, in every new city as we travel up and down the coast, we end up applying for those stupid customer loyalty accounts to get the discounts, and they all come with a plastic barcode tag that conveniently fits on your keychain...so we have all these plastic tags, even if we have no keys.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 04:52   #111

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
I think you guys are onto something.. The key to a good life.

It's gotta be here somewhere...............
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 07:39   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Ha, but every supermarket we go to, in every new city as we travel up and down the coast, we end up applying for those stupid customer loyalty accounts to get the discounts, and they all come with a plastic barcode tag that conveniently fits on your keychain...so we have all these plastic tags, even if we have no keys.
Ah, you're right! These little plastic discount cards are our new "set of keys". Fortunately most all will take your phone number; however, since my wife obtained the card, when I give our phone number I have to present myself as "Nancie"!
Old 29-01-2013, 06:27   #113

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Jaye (wingNwing) just put together a GREAT collection of posts from more than a dozen cruisers about moving aboard and the practical and emotional considerations that are involved in the transition - if you're interested in reading more, AND if you have a link to a relevant blog post that you want to contribute, please check out the post: Moving Aboard: Transitions.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:44   #114

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
LOL, you should have seen how many keys I threw away. My husband would never throw old keys away, convinced he would find something locked he had forgotten about!
I've moved back and forth from land to boat and back again several times, and I love that moment when I get rid of every key on my key ring. There are a few keys I use onboard for locking various things up, but I hide those so I am not dependent on carrying around keys. Between that, and emptying my wallet of all the land stuff I can walk around safely with a bathing suit on and no belt!
Old 01-02-2013, 19:09   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post

I've moved back and forth from land to boat and back again several times, and I love that moment when I get rid of every key on my key ring. There are a few keys I use onboard for locking various things up, but I hide those so I am not dependent on carrying around keys. Between that, and emptying my wallet of all the land stuff I can walk around safely with a bathing suit on and no belt!
Keys are a thing of the past. Although, occasionally a wallet is necessary -- but more times than not he forgets that now too!