Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 18:44   #16

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Is This Normal? Getting Rid of Our Life

When you've got family there are some history type things they might appreciate later in life but not now while they busy with kids. We bundled family momento's and other items into an insulated container which is parked on a son's property.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 19:02   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad
When you've got family there are some history type things they might appreciate later in life but not now while they busy with kids. We bundled family momento's and other items into an insulated container which is parked on a son's property.
I agree, my sister-in-laws extra garage is housing all of that stuff. Thank you.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 19:03   #18

Packing up the sentimental things, the souvenirs of our travels, reminders of our grandparents, 10 years ago when we sold the house and moved aboard ... Hard doesn't begin to describe it, it was disorienting, weird. "Freeing," but not in the sense you think, more like drifting, rootless. This was our history and it was like we were giving away our identities. We took photos of everything, and the best of the best was stored with special friends.

But getting rid of those things, meant there was room for new memories to come into our lives. So yes, what you've got going is normal, and painfully necessary ... and temporary. And, worth it - we are loving our life afloat.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 19:07   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

after 30 years of roaming,a few circumnavigations,visiting 110 countries,belive me moving off the boat and into a house is way way harder..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 20:13   #20

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

We never had a house until we completed our circumnavigation. I still don't want a house as it is an expensive anchor. But it is a necessary evil when you need a place to live while earning Freedom Chips.

Getting rid of stuff is a liberating experience most of the time. Storage is not that expensive if you want to keep some of the stuff that has an emotional attachment. But once it is in storage or out of sight, you quickly forget about it.

Turning a business over to children or selling a business that you spent your life creating is really a challenge. You invested yourself so much into the business, and watching them change everything is better done at a distance rather than up close. Otherwise it may drive you crazy to see them make all the changes.

I am taking my stuff with me on my next adventure in the form of websites. I will be able to work on them anywhere in the world. That is a very convenient way to carry some of the old life with me into the new.

I have to admit that when I started our circumnavigation, it didn't bother me to put stuff into storage because we had been living overseas for 28 years, and we didn't have that much stuff. It would have been different if we had been living in the USA.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 20:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
after 30 years of roaming,a few circumnavigations,visiting 110 countries,belive me moving off the boat and into a house is way way harder..............
Kinda the same but reverse. I am looking forward to giving/telling my grandchildren the stories you already know.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 25-05-2012, 20:42   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh to day ya got it made !! Digital Pictures make all the differents in the world ya can store them on these fancy discs thingies they have now !! Pics of kids and grand kids, pics of friends and the relatives ya can stand to see LOL Also nice to have pics of the old house so ya can show others what you left and then pics of the Happiness you will have cruising the wonderful world out there!! When we started we were bilding a boat, and living in a 28 ft trailor! 4 of us LOL so we really gained some room when we moved aboard!! It's gonna be much harder this time!! we have a huge home we have been filling for these 8 yrs we have been ashore!! but we have the dig cam this time and hope to get a real bunch of pics so we can remember that when we get to old to cruise anymore !! Your gonna love it !! have fun we sure have !!!
Old 25-05-2012, 20:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout
Turning a business over to children or selling a business that you spent your life creating is really a challenge. You invested yourself so much into the business, and watching them change everything is better done at a distance rather than up close. Otherwise it may drive you crazy to see them make all the changes.
Agreed, we need to get out of here soon. Why is it that children cannot see the wisdom you have gained throughout the 30 years you built the firm?!?
Old 25-05-2012, 20:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing
Packing up the sentimental things, the souvenirs of our travels, reminders of our grandparents, 10 years ago when we sold the house and moved aboard ... Hard doesn't begin to describe it, it was disorienting, weird. "Freeing," but not in the sense you think, more like drifting, rootless. This was our history and it was like we were giving away our identities. We took photos of everything, and the best of the best was stored with special friends.

But getting rid of those things, meant there was room for new memories to come into our lives. So yes, what you've got going is normal, and painfully necessary ... and temporary. And, worth it - we are loving our life afloat.
Thank you, this is exactly how I'm feeling but could not find the words to describe it.

I can say that absolutely no one understands our dream and the most kind thing we have heard is 'Oh, you are the adventurers'. May be it is because we are in Utah, but the kids get it.
Old 25-05-2012, 22:11   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Major life changes can be very difficult if not traumatic. Even ones that are planned carefully. There are many important memories associated with our collected objects.

One suggestion I have for those going through this and not doing very well at it, is to talk with a therapist. You are not mentally ill, quite the opposite, especially to those of us who understand what it means to take to the water.

A therapist will help you through the tough hump of change. The cost is reasonable, and possibly covered if you have health insurance. An hour or two might be all you need.
Old 25-05-2012, 22:27   #26

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

When I was feeling like you are, like there's no end in sight, I posted something here and you guys helped. We made it. We're in Mexico today, it's great and it's cheap. You know what I had to do today? Nothing. We chose to go out and get some tacos ($10.00 dinner for 3, best tacos on earth) and some ice cream. We also walked past Papas & Beer and Hussong's Cantina to witness the madness of memorial day weekend in Baja. Other than that I socialized over coffee this morning, had some breakfast, read for awhile, watched a movie, took a nap, that's about it. You'll get here and it will all be worth it.
NO STRESS! I love this.
Old 25-05-2012, 22:31   #27

Boat: 45ft Ketch

CF is a great therapist. Where else does one find such a heap of practical experience and at the same time convincing arguments that we are not alone in our particular form of sanity.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 22:57   #28

Boat: Oyster 45

"If you spend your life looking back you are going to miss all the good things ahead of you"

We went through similar just over a couple of years ago where we got rid of everything to live this life. Sure, we had doubts about what we were doing and if it was the right thing.
Only a couple of days ago we were sat in a new country, the sun was shining, the view was amazing, and we enjoy being together. My wife actually turned to me and said "Do you know what I really miss about our old life.... nothing.. I just love the way things are now"
It does take some letting go but you will and when you do I know you will ask yourself "Why didn't we do this sooner"?
You will also find out that what matters most in life is not yesterday, not tomorrow, but today.
Old 26-05-2012, 00:49   #29

Boat: Hanse 385

Digitalise as much as you can.
Coming from a life where I've been moving around every few years I've never been able to keep much but you'd be amazed that the connection is rarely to the actual object it's more the meaning behind it.

We scanned all of photos, etc, years ago and actually now enjoy them more than the real objects, which are long gone. Flipping through memories on an iPad, etc is a wonderful experience.

Think about converting your memories. You don't need to lose them.

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 20:57   #30

The last few days have been so much better. Thank you everyone for you kind words and encouragement.

Robyn