Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2018, 06:52   #1

Insurance for antartica

Hi everyone,

So I am ready to embark for my second round of the world. New boat, new ideas and new destination.

Last trip was with an Albin Vega 27’ . Now totally upgraded to a Great Dane 37. Removed the mizzen mast for single mast setup (more place for wind vane, solars, wind generator etc etc.

So the plans are to go from Europe to the canaries but instead of joining everyone else I go to Gambia and later guinea Bissau. From there Brazil and further south to round the cape.

But I was also thinking about taking it a step further and go to Antarctica (when in the neighborhood!)

The boat is equipped and complete refitted for the hardest condition I expect to meet during the sail.

However, I see it is very (very very) difficult finding insurance companies willing to insure boats to meet new regulations of visiting this land.

The boat is registered in Norway which mean I can use Norwegian regulations (needs to have insurance covering health and safety of an insane amount) or I can use my citizenship of Swedish. Then I only need to use insurance covering any natural disasters I may cause (oil spill etc - still at a crazy amount).

Every insurance company I speak to are either not doing it or “just” stopping providing this service.

I’ve tried so many insurance companies it is insane. If anyone have any pointers please let me know.

(Or for that matter have any ideas if possible fines for not being allowed visiting this land of, what it seem, everyone’s claim but none that controls...)

Thanks!
wArp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 07:13   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: Insurance for antartica

You don't need insurance. All you need is common sense and a strong will to keep your boat afloat.
Old 21-05-2018, 01:24   #3
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
You don't need insurance. All you need is common sense and a strong will to keep your boat afloat.
Actually that is incorrect to visit Antarctic waters legally. If you are a citizen of an Antarctic treaty nation then you must abide by the conditions of the treaty and if you don't you will be prosecuted in your country of citizenship. This was tested a few years ago by some mad Norwegian hell bent on having an adventure. I'm not sure how the vessel registration thing goes but as wArp is Swedish and Sweden is a signatory to the Antarctic Treaty then he will be able to be charged and prosecuted more easily than for an offence on the high seas. All the treaty nations will support the Swedish prosecution and will provide what evidence they can.
As for the high cost of insurance. Do you have any idea what the environmental clean up costs or search and rescue cost would be in what is a very high risk venture? I've been by boat and plane and lived down there, I have no desire to see it turn into a playground and feel its sanctity as a living science laboratory should be preserved. I know, easy for me to say because I have been fortunate enough to spend some time there but that doesn't change my opinion.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 01:26   #4
cruiser

Also, AFAIK, Chile is insisting on SAR insurance for any recreational vessel clearing out of any of its ports to round the bottom. As for insuring your boat, Northern Reef might be your only hope to secure the necessary paperwork.
Old 21-05-2018, 01:51   #5

Boat: Boatless

Northern Reef are very dubious which will be proven if they insure you!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 02:02   #6

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

No Ties is correct.

If you are a citizen of a signatory to the treaty you must abide or you will be prosecuted, and they seem to be getting stricter and stricter.

The bezerker guy really made a mess of it for others.

i know one couple who are currently n the process of obtaining permission from the Norwegian polar institute ( the Norwegian gate keeper). You must apply one year in advance.

Evacuation insurance is doable; all the participants on sailing expedition charters have to have it and they all use the same few companies. do little google research.

Boat insurance is tough. I am lucky and my underwriter is ok with it, I pay an extra 100 dollars a month as a rider anytime i am further south than 50.
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 02:19   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Northern Reef are very dubious which will be proven if they insure you!
Would be helpful if you could back up that definitive statement with evidence.
Old 21-05-2018, 08:48   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Would be helpful if you could back up that definitive statement with evidence.
A Google search will turn up numerous stories of nonpayment.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 11:42   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
A Google search will turn up numerous stories of nonpayment.
An that denotes evidence in your book? My God, the internet has really got to you. I'll meet your Google search and raise you 2 anecdotal stories of people who have had successful claims and one actual claim by myself.
Old 21-05-2018, 13:06   #10

Quote:
An that denotes evidence in your book? My God, the internet has really got to you. I'll meet your Google search and raise you 2 anecdotal stories of people who have had successful claims and one actual claim by myself.
Yea, I'd say I would be leery of a company that gets multiple reports like these. Did you see the reports where their insurance is no longer accepted in some Queensland marinas? Wanna guess why?
I spoke with a guy on and off for a few weeks, and helped him understand the terms of his contract, while he tried to get a payment from them for his effective totaled boat that was damaged while on the hard from a windstorm. It was clear that they were just going to continue to throw nonsense excuses and not make any payment. This included trying out the excuse that he was not covered because he wasn't onboard at the time - while on the hard!
So if all you want from insurance is a piece of paper you can show authorities, then this might be your company.
Old 21-05-2018, 13:19   #11
cruiser

Gootta love the internet
Google + anecdote = evidence.
Old 21-05-2018, 13:27   #12

Quote:
Gootta love the internet
Google + anecdote = evidence.
No, you clearly misunderstand the equation. It is not an equality but more an approximation. Something like
Google plus anecdotes ~ reputation.
Old 21-05-2018, 13:45   #13

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post

Boat insurance is tough. I am lucky and my underwriter is ok with it, I pay an extra 100 dollars a month as a rider anytime i am further south than 50.
Please can you tell me who you insure with. That seems a good price (depending on underlying premium) and might also solve my problem for northern latitudes

Thanks in anticipation
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 00:36   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
No, you clearly misunderstand the equation. It is not an equality but more an approximation. Something like
Google plus anecdotes ~ reputation.
I notice facts aren't included so I will give firsthand experience with Northern Reef from my own policy with a claim. I have a professional liability policy with them and several year ago lost the mast of a boat when restepping it (owner's fault, he was a know nothing but insisted on being involved). Northern Reef took on one of the "trusted" big insurance companies who was trying to railroad us into accepting liability and won. They didn't even charge me a deductible for their fees.
And here's an anecdotal one (or three). A yacht agent here I had to quote a job for (on his own boat) had his third claim paid out in part as they wrote down the value of his rig. His previous 2 claims with Northern Reef had been settled no problem.
But I know everyone likes to get hysterical and wet their panties over Northern Reef with their "extensive" internet study on the subject so I will not hold my breath until someone changes their opinion.
Old 22-05-2018, 08:16   #15

Quote:
But I know everyone likes to get hysterical and wet their panties over Northern Reef with their "extensive" internet study on the subject so I will not hold my breath until someone changes their opinion.
Maybe they can use your wet panties quote on their website to help boost their stellar reputation.

Tags
insurance