Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2018, 08:18   #16

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Insurance for antartica

Perhaps the Norwegian Polar Institute can direct you to insurance, as I see it they can't make rules which are impossible to obey and if they cannot point an insurer they should drop the insurance demand..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 08:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
This was tested a few years ago by some mad Norwegian hell bent on having an adventure.
What a coincidence, with an Albin Vega

Quote:
... and Sweden is a signatory to the Antarctic Treaty then he will be able to be charged and prosecuted more easily than for an offence on the high seas.
I see no Swedish signature here. (as opposed to Norwegian) However, flying a Norwegian flag means the boat has to comply with Norwegian rules as well, meaning the OP still have to find an insurer. A simple "wreck removal and 3rd party" insurance might be sufficient, but I understand this is a very high liability issue down there.
Old 22-05-2018, 08:46   #18

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Perhaps the Norwegian Polar Institute can direct you to insurance, as I see it they can't make rules which are impossible to obey and if they cannot point an insurer they should drop the insurance demand..
You've never dealt with the US State Department, the EPA or the NSF have you .... lol
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 08:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post

I see [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Treaty_System#Parties"]no Swedish signature here.
There are only 12 signatories to the treaty, but a total of 53 parties

Sweden not only makes a territorial claim but has consulting status and voting rights..

you need permission
Old 22-05-2018, 11:41   #20

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
You've never dealt with the US State Department, the EPA or the NSF have you .... lol
Fortunately on this side of the pond it's just the TaxMan Gidding. But seriously, getting unreasonable bureaucrats in order the process through the courts takes years, first domestic ones and then in the EU-court thou that doesn't help with Norway. Mebbe with Sweden and who knows if their Insurance rules are more flexible?

In the OP's shoes I'd get a cheap "east-European" insurance knowing they cover nothing but on paper just to be complient for the NPI..

Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 12:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Tried it. They could not advice. Neither the Norwegian nor the Swedish could provide any pointers. Which is making me stuck at the moment.
wArp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 12:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post

I see no Swedish signature here. (as opposed to Norwegian) However, flying a Norwegian flag means the boat has to comply with Norwegian rules as well, meaning the OP still have to find an insurer. A simple "wreck removal and 3rd party" insurance might be sufficient, but I understand this is a very high liability issue down there.

Well. To be honest. Either if I fly the Swedish or Norwegian flag for me this is fine and just a matter or re registration. Easy compared to finding insurance company. Problem is also that I would approx only need the insurance for the duration of the trip from, let’s say, ushaia and back again. Which is what? 1-2months. Tops. So the rate are not really the issue. I mean it could be a years worth of “normal insurance” for all I care. Just seem like every insurance company are shooting it down as they do not offer it at all...
wArp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 13:23   #23

Boat: Valiant 40

I assume you've called everyone that comes up on Google when you search on "yacht insurance antarctica". There are a few (after you skip down from the ads, which are just keying on "yacht insurance". Topsail Insurance is one (Antartica is listed in coverage areas on their home page).
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 14:46   #24

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Find the cheapest 'rescue' and other insurance you can that doesn't specify latitude and present them with that policy. The treaty countries that insist on insurance are on shakey ground legally and they know it. They are supposed to be issuing an environmental permit based on possible impacts. Friends in australia got away with $150 rescue insurance per individual. All the beaurocrat needs is a box to tick. I didn't have any insurance at all but that was 10 years ago. Another friend running a government trip was charged $40000 for about two weeks of cover. He invoiced the government for that bill.
Old 22-05-2018, 15:04   #25

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Also, AFAIK, Chile is insisting on SAR insurance for any recreational vessel clearing out of any of its ports to round the bottom. As for insuring your boat, Northern Reef might be your only hope to secure the necessary paperwork.
Ah.... the 'Armada requiring SAR insurance' issue.

That popped up over 10 years ago and is now part of regional folklore along with 'you can't store ship in Williams' and 'the fuel in Puerto Eden is dirty'..... all rollocks...

I think it emerged in Montt and may have been a result of one yacht owner telling porkies 'post incident'. It burnt and sank -in shallow water - at Millabu after a propane explosion. Rescued after about a month on the beach the owner said he had insurance... some sucker salvaged it and got it to Chacabuco... and guess what... no insurance and no assets but the boat..... a beat up burnt out POS.

Anywayz that Port Captain is long gone. I've had something on the high side of 3 dozen zarpes.... only twice ( in Montt )had a 'safety inspection' in which they didn't even come aboard the yacht and at one of those was asked... 'do you have insurance'...'yes'... 'OK'.

Current policy in Williams ( 3 zarpes over the last year both domestic and Falklands) is to give you a checklist which you simply tick the boxes on....

Liferaft .. tick..
Fuel .. tick
Food .. tick
Rum .. tick
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 00:04   #26

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

^^Shhh Ping, we don't want everybody heading down there!
Old 23-05-2018, 00:26   #27

Geeze Ping, you must have made it as Eden; dont buy fuel , its dirty.

...... hows the rum and wine stock holding out?

As far as Topsail... not a chance, they are full of it.

They said they would in sure me for south of 40 S. Sent me a quote and then Every-time i got the " sign this" there were more and more restrictions, finally saying they can not insure any yachts in Antartica and anyone one S of 40 needs minimum of 4 crew on the vessel. It was crazy.

i just remembered there is a Dutch company that will insure EU yachts for S Georgia, Falklands and Antarctica; US flag nope.

www.marine-insurance.nl
www.yacht-insurance.nl

hjope that helps.
Old 23-05-2018, 09:10   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
i just remembered there is a Dutch company that will insure EU yachts for S Georgia, Falklands and Antarctica; US flag nope.

www.marine-insurance.nl
www.yacht-insurance.nl
Might be useful for the OP. Norway is not EU, but still EFTA, might be relevant for them.
Old 23-05-2018, 13:25   #29

About...So the plans are to go from Europe to the canaries but instead of joining everyone else I go to Gambia and later guinea Bissau. From there Brazil and further south to round the cape.
Then you will go through Uruguay and my country, Argentina.
I remind you that the local authorities request a nautical license according to the voyage, an unexpired liferaft, and other security elements.
Many sailors are stranded here for these simple reasons.
Anything you need from Brazil, Uruguay or Argentina: let me know.
Omar Wetdoc, Buenos Aires
Wetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 14:30   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdoc View Post
the local authorities request a nautical license according to the voyage, an unexpired liferaft, and other security elements.
Is that a skipper certification (yachtmaster level I guess)?

Tags
insurance