Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 16:07   #1

Boat: O’Day 34
Improving Sailing Skills

Howdy folks!

So COVID has put both work and cruising plans on hold for a while, unsurprisingly. My boat is in the FL Keys and I plan to move her somewhere a little safer for hurricane season once I can get down there (maybe June or later when Monroe County opens).

I am with family in Minnesota for the summer and want to use the summer to get better at sailing while I’m up here working. Does anyone have any suggestions that helped them?

I am looking at small monohulls, dinghies, hobie cats, etc just to get out on the water and keep playing and practicing. Excited to hear if anyone has any ideas!
SeaplaneDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 16:15   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Improving Sailing Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaplaneDriver View Post
Howdy folks!

So COVID has put both work and cruising plans on hold for a while, unsurprisingly. My boat is in the FL Keys and I plan to move her somewhere a little safer for hurricane season once I can get down there (maybe June or later when Monroe County opens).

I am with family in Minnesota for the summer and want to use the summer to get better at sailing while I’m up here working. Does anyone have any suggestions that helped them?

I am looking at small monohulls, dinghies, hobie cats, etc just to get out on the water and keep playing and practicing. Excited to hear if anyone has any ideas!
I have a standard answer for this question, "get on a racing crew" but it might be problematic this year with social distancing.

Normally, by joining a racing crew you get exposed to all sorts of sailing situations and free "training" by the other crew members and skipper. A 20's something keel boat is ideal.

Since there might not be any racing then I suggest you find access to a small keelboat and sail it regularly, rain or shine, and push yourself a bit in trying new things, sail changes, trim, sail combinations, etc.

Good luck.

Tags
sail, sailing