Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2020, 04:44   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 38,409
Images: 241
How much do you know about science topics?

There’s a science quiz from Pew Research Center.
Test your knowledge of science facts and applications of scientific principles by taking our 11-question quiz. When you finish, you will be able to compare your scores with the average American and compare responses across demographic groups. Our nationally representative poll of 4,464 randomly selected U.S. adults was conducted on Pew Research Center's American Trends Panel between Jan. 7 and Jan. 21, 2019. The analysis of the findings from the poll can be found in the full report, “What Americans Know About Science.”
Quizhttps://www.pewresearch.org/science/...nowledge-quiz/
Reporthttps://www.pewresearch.org/science/...about-science/

FWIW: I did as well as 16% of participants.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 04:57   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
tkeithlu's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carrabelle, Florida
Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Posts: 2,361
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

.............wait for it...........


Welcome to the forum, Gord.


Nice quiz. Being a retired scientist, I would have been embarrassed to not get 11/11. Ditto to your score, but I think you meant that you did better than 84%. The question about deforestration bordered on tricky.

Gord wins the prize for the widest range of detailed, specific answers to posts.
__________________
Never let anything mechanical know that you are in a hurry.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:01   #3
Registered User
 
S/V Illusion's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FLORIDA
Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 2,468
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

If I can score 100%, anyone can
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 8,138
Images: 1
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
...
FWIW: I did as well as 16% of participants.
I'm with you, but science instruction was my life's vocation. 'fun, thanks for sharing.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:06   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: I can’t use epoxy. Please don’t suggest it. It can kill me. 50’ performance cat
Posts: 3,142
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

Also same as 16% of participants.

It's unfortunate it wasn't a bit more difficult so the 16% could be teased out a bit.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:06   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,633
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

The quiz is a joke but the report needs a politically correct re-write.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:07   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 38,409
Images: 241
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If I can score 100%, anyone can
And yet, sadly, 84% of respondents didn't/couldn't.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:08   #8
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 4,068
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
There’s a science quiz from Pew Research Center.
Test your knowledge of science facts and applications of scientific principles by taking our 11-question quiz. When you finish, you will be able to compare your scores with the average American and compare responses across demographic groups. Our nationally representative poll of 4,464 randomly selected U.S. adults was conducted on Pew Research Center's American Trends Panel between Jan. 7 and Jan. 21, 2019. The analysis of the findings from the poll can be found in the full report, “What Americans Know About Science.”
Quizhttps://www.pewresearch.org/science/...nowledge-quiz/
Reporthttps://www.pewresearch.org/science/...about-science/

FWIW: I did as well as 16% of participants.

Right On!


Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:21   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 38,409
Images: 241
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
...It's unfortunate it wasn't a bit more difficult so the 16% could be teased out a bit.
Are You a Science Genius?
With the popularity of Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye and Chris Hadfield, science geniuses are becoming well-known icons. Are you smart enough to hang with these science superstars? Take this test to find out – only 5% of people have passed!
https://grizly.com/quizzes/this-is-t...ill-take-today

FWIW: I (barely) passed.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:37   #10
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 1,986
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

One observation from long experience giving exams to adult learners who've long since forgotten the techniques of taking them:

I wonder how many people knew the right answer but (1) didn't read the entire question, or (2) didn't click on the answer before clicking "next."

For the vast majority of wrong answers I've seen, when the student sees the question, they slap their forehead and say "I knew that! I just messed up answering because..."

I'll admit, however, it's scary the number of people I know who would struggle with the content of this exam, not just the mechanics.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:53   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
tkeithlu's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carrabelle, Florida
Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Posts: 2,361
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

Regarding the test being easy.

OK, I'm an experimental psycholgist with at least teaching experience in survey design.

This is a very well designed test. It does not have virtually everyone scoring 100% (16% did) nor everyone failing. It is centered on 50% correct. Whoever designed it did very good work. She (today, women dominate experimental psychology PhDs) probably tested the test against a small sample population before going to the for real population.
__________________
Never let anything mechanical know that you are in a hurry.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 05:56   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Ont
Posts: 5,924
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
One observation from long experience giving exams to adult learners who've long since forgotten the techniques of taking them:

I wonder how many people knew the right answer but (1) didn't read the entire question, or (2) didn't click on the answer before clicking "next."

For the vast majority of wrong answers I've seen, when the student sees the question, they slap their forehead and say "I knew that! I just messed up answering because..."

That's a very good point! There's a technique to taking different types of tests, and it's surprising how well you can do by remaining calm, reading carefully, saying the answers almost out loud as you ponder them...


My approach to multiple choice tests is:
  1. Read the instructions carefully
  2. Read them again, and strategize what areas could give you the most value, and how you plan on allocating your time
  3. I like starting with the easiest section if there is one
  4. Read a question:
    • if you are certain of the answer, mark it and move on
    • if you are uncertain
      1. stroke out the answers that are obviously wrong
      2. ponder the remaining, try to find the best fitting answer
      3. if you're stuck after a minute, note the question number and plan to come back to it (if the test mechanism allows)
  5. After going through the exam once, go back to the ones you were stuck on. Chances are, you will now be unstuck, or the rest of the exam gave you some hints or reminders to help
Having said all that... no I'm not taking those tests and posting results. In my mind I'm a genius; I don't need any counterfactuals to mess that up.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 06:03   #13
Registered User
 
Eigenvector's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mostly Texas
Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI
Posts: 406
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

I scraped by, Biology type stuff isn't my strong suit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	87
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	210971  
__________________
==========================
Don't Tell My Mom I Work In the Oilfield,
She Thinks
I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse.
Eigenvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 06:37   #14
Registered User
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 8,027
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

Well, I got them all correct. And I’d by no stretch consider myself a genius.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 06:41   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto area when not travelling
Boat: Catalina 36 Mk II
Posts: 1,159
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
That's a very good point! There's a technique to taking different types of tests, and it's surprising how well you can do by remaining calm, reading carefully, saying the answers almost out loud as you ponder them...


My approach to multiple choice tests is:
  1. Read the instructions carefully
  2. Read them again, and strategize what areas could give you the most value, and how you plan on allocating your time
  3. I like starting with the easiest section if there is one
  4. Read a question:
    • if you are certain of the answer, mark it and move on
    • if you are uncertain
      1. stroke out the answers that are obviously wrong
      2. ponder the remaining, try to find the best fitting answer
      3. if you're stuck after a minute, note the question number and plan to come back to it (if the test mechanism allows)
  5. After going through the exam once, go back to the ones you were stuck on. Chances are, you will now be unstuck, or the rest of the exam gave you some hints or reminders to help
Having said all that... no I'm not taking those tests and posting results. In my mind I'm a genius; I don't need any counterfactuals to mess that up.
A few things come to mind from my teaching experience. If a test has not been developed very carefully - choose the longest answer. Test creators tend to be more exact in wording for right answers than wrong answers. If a random number generator has not been used c) tends to be the most common correct answer. Do not change an answer you have chosen unless you have a really compelling reason to do so. First reactions to a question tend to be correct.

BTW, I did well with both tests. If I could have gotten a job writing tests and doing trivia contests I would be much richer today.
__________________
Back to Great Lakes sailing on our Catalina 36 MkII after many years ocean sailing on a Bristol 45.5, which was just too big for the yacht clubs on Lake Ontario.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HEY ALL YOU SCIENCE GEEKS!.. knot smart General Sailing Forum 38 31-05-2019 20:46
You Don't Know What You Don't KNow-Preventative Maintenance Kerry1 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 19 21-02-2018 12:39
MOST TIRED CF THREAD TOPICS POLL Keegan General Sailing Forum 49 01-10-2008 11:30
Revamping topics NoTies Forum Tech Support & Site Help 1 10-01-2006 19:24

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.