Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2020, 13:05   #91

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: How much do you know about science topics?

It was not that difficult, and I’m a biologist.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 15:30   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Consider asking them this:
"What term do we give for 9 with respect to the average of numbers 1, 14, and 15?"

Insist on a single-word answer...

Close?
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 15:37   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
The reason that 9 is important in the given problem is precisely because it neutralizes probability.

Another load of psychobabble.

(From your comments, I'm guessing you have a worthless PhD in some esoteric soft discipline)

Still waiting for a sensible answer.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 16:24   #94

Well I am a retired biologist and I missed one, according to them. However, I believe my answer to the antacid question was correct. I definitely know that a base works to counteract acid, but you would normally not want to add a base to acid to neutralize it, as rapid swings in pH would eventually occur. (You would not want a very basic pH in the stomach either).

I figured that an antacid tablet would more likely have a buffer in it, which tend to bring pH from extremes towards a neutral 7.0. Sure enough, I looked up ingredients of antacid tablets, and they tend to be salts, i.e. buffers. More neutral than strong base. Admittedly they have pH higher than 7 though, so could be considered a weak base.

"Antacids are a combination of various compounds with various salts of calcium, magnesium, and aluminum as the active ingredients."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK526049/

Go ahead and call me a sore loser, but I actually knew all of this and I said neutral, although I suspected the quiz makers might say that base was correct.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 16:59   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Well I am a retired biologist and I missed one, according to them. However, I believe my answer to the antacid question was correct. I definitely know that a base works to counteract acid, but you would normally not want to add a base to acid to neutralize it, as rapid swings in pH would eventually occur. (You would not want a very basic pH in the stomach either).

I figured that an antacid tablet would more likely have a buffer in it, which tend to bring pH from extremes towards a neutral 7.0. Sure enough, I looked up ingredients of antacid tablets, and they tend to be salts, i.e. buffers. More neutral than strong base. Admittedly they have pH higher than 7 though, so could be considered a weak base.

"Antacids are a combination of various compounds with various salts of calcium, magnesium, and aluminum as the active ingredients."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK526049/

Go ahead and call me a sore loser, but I actually knew all of this and I said neutral, although I suspected the quiz makers might say that base was correct.
You're nailed it...an appropriate salt for this application will only dissociate...showing it's base properties...once in solution. And an appropriate salt for this application will only go into solution enough so as to soak up surplus protons...and not to excess so as to result in a non-physiologic basic pH.

But overall the quiz was itself a litmus test, such that they weren't looking for the finer details.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 18:03   #96
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Originally Posted by Singularity:
Consider asking them this:
"What term do we give for 9 with respect to the average of numbers 1, 14, and 15?"

Inconsequential
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 18:25   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Another load of psychobabble.

(From your comments, I'm guessing you have a worthless PhD in some esoteric soft discipline)

Still waiting for a sensible answer.
From your comment, I'm guessing that you're either petulant, or you are suffering from the problem that some guy got a Nobel for in 2002. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

When you engage in intense System 2 thinking, Kahneman says, something happens to your body. Your pupils dilate. Your heart rate increases. Your blood glucose level drops. You become irritable if someone or something interrupts your focus. You become partially deaf and partially blind to stimuli that ordinarily command your attention. Kahneman writes that “intense focusing on a task can make people effectively blind."

https://www.businessinsider.com/nobel-prize-winner-this-is-the-difference-between-thinking-fast-and-slow-2012-6
Old 24-03-2020, 18:52   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
From your comment, I'm guessing that you're either petulant, or you are suffering from the problem that some guy got a Nobel for in 2002. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

When you engage in intense System 2 thinking, Kahneman says, something happens to your body. Your pupils dilate. Your heart rate increases. Your blood glucose level drops. You become irritable if someone or something interrupts your focus. You become partially deaf and partially blind to stimuli that ordinarily command your attention. Kahneman writes that “intense focusing on a task can make people effectively blind."

https://www.businessinsider.com/nobel-prize-winner-this-is-the-difference-between-thinking-fast-and-slow-2012-6

Still waiting for a sensible answer
Old 24-03-2020, 19:09   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

More pyschobabble from a "behavioural economist"?

Calling "The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel" "a Nobel" is a stretch.

"The interest is to be divided into five equal parts and distributed as follows: one part to the person who made the most important discovery or invention in the field of physics; one part to the person who made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who, in the field of literature, produced the most outstanding work in an idealistic direction; and one part to the person who has done the most or best to advance fellowship among nations, the abolition or reduction of standing armies, and the establishment and promotion of peace congresses. The prizes for physics and chemistry are to be awarded by the Swedish Academy of Sciences; that for physiological or medical achievements by the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm; that for literature by the Academy in Stockholm; and that for champions of peace by a committee of five persons to be selected by the Norwegian Storting."
Old 24-03-2020, 19:34   #100

Quote:
More pyschobabble from a "behavioural economist"?

Calling "The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel" "a Nobel" is a stretch.

"The interest is to be divided into five equal parts and distributed as follows: one part to the person who made the most important discovery or invention in the field of physics; one part to the person who made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who, in the field of literature, produced the most outstanding work in an idealistic direction; and one part to the person who has done the most or best to advance fellowship among nations, the abolition or reduction of standing armies, and the establishment and promotion of peace congresses. The prizes for physics and chemistry are to be awarded by the Swedish Academy of Sciences; that for physiological or medical achievements by the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm; that for literature by the Academy in Stockholm; and that for champions of peace by a committee of five persons to be selected by the Norwegian Storting."

So you think you know a thing or two about physics?
Old 24-03-2020, 19:53   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So you think you know a thing or two about physics?

still waiting for a sensible answer

Just as a reminder:

Old 24-03-2020, 22:58   #102

Quote:

Just as a reminder:

1, 9, 10, 14, 15 <what the heck does 9 have to do with this number set?

This problem exploits a brain wiring problem of people who think linearly. If this sounds like "psychobabble" now, I can understand. But when the answer is clear, really clear, it ought to be apparent why someone should get a Nobel for pointing this out. But...upon further investigation...one can find that at least in Western civilization Heraclitus pointed out this problem around ~2,500BC. He's the guy who came up with the idea of "logic" (logos) supposedly in the first place. I wouldn't call a fundamental logic problem (owing to Aristotle) that defines most of the conflict in Western civilization's thought "psychobabble."

It also explains why smart people who know all the answers to a test don't get 100 on tests.

Painting is of Heraclitus...as if he was praying back then that someone would understand him...but the "flux" works out mathematically in the Fourier transform, uncertainty principle....so called "wave collapse" aspect of consciousness. Not psychobabble...fascinating I'd say.
Attached Images

Old 24-03-2020, 23:43   #103

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

Just as a reminder:

precedent?

Heck I am just glad I got 'em all, I guess they'll let me keep my job as a science teacher
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 00:09   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
1, 9, 10, 14, 15 <what the heck does 9 have to do with this number set?

...but the "flux" works out mathematically in the Fourier transform, uncertainty principle....so called "wave collapse" aspect of consciousness. Not psychobabble...fascinating I'd say.
Why have you completely changed the framing of the original question?
Presumably your addition of "10" is meant to refer to "the average"?
But neither 9 nor 10 are part of the original "number set".

To answer your new question:
9 is the second member of that number set.

Apart from that, just more psychobabble, this time with an addition of a semantically null string of scientific terms.
STILL waiting for a sensible answer to your original question, but I'm starting to suspect that you don't have one.
Old 25-03-2020, 01:45   #105
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I dunno about the psychobabble one way or the other but it's pretty clear that Sing hasn't come even close to a giving us one word answer so far. In fact, the posts have been very wordy...

Perhaps it's time to put up or shut up i.e. post a one word answer or move on (IMHO); heck it was Sing's idea to have the answer short, very short coupled with a suggestion that a wordy answer suggested lower intelligence or some such.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc