Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 10:11   #1

Flamingo of rye

Hi there, does any of you know how to tackle this one: I am planning to go for sailing courses and hopefully sail from Uk to France cross the channel twice this year (for now), problem is my wife doesn’t know how to swim, any of you know if non swimming people can enjoy sailing and what should I keep in mind before doing it?
Flamingo of rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:05   #2

Re: Flamingo of rye

In case you haven't noticed, the entire objective of good seamanship and good sailing is to NOT go swimming!

I have been sailing keelboats for 30 years. Never once have I, or anyone on any boat I was in charge of, ever gone swimming except by choice.

If she wears a lifejacket, she will be safer than anybody who CAN swim and eschews the safety gear.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
In case you haven't noticed, the entire objective of good seamanship and good sailing is to NOT go swimming!

I have been sailing keelboats for 30 years. Never once have I, or anyone on any boat I was in charge of, ever gone swimming except by choice.

If she wears a lifejacket, she will be safer than anybody who CAN swim and eschews the safety gear.

Fair point, never looked at it that way, always looked at it through my wife’s eyes: “I can’t even swim, how am I gonna sail, as nice as it is?” glad I asked this today. Thank you, hope all this can give her some confidence.
Old 21-01-2019, 11:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have you thought about swimming lessons? My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter is taking lessons so I'll bet your wife could do it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 12:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have you thought about swimming lessons? My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter is taking lessons so I'll bet your wife could do it.

I did but never got her to start, she’s quite shy and going for swimming lessons with the kids at our local swimming pool will be a bit hard, will try to persuade her a bit more.
We live in London, never enough time!!
Old 21-01-2019, 14:34   #6

Boat: Mirage 35

OT but can’t resist telling the story. My wife (before we met) didn’t learn to swim until an adult; after she completed her first lessons a friend gave her a challenge - now take a sailing course.

I was the instructor on her first live aboard course, and we’re still sailing (and occasionally swimming) together 30-some years later.
Old 21-01-2019, 14:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo of rye View Post
I did but never got her to start, she’s quite shy and going for swimming lessons with the kids at our local swimming pool will be a bit hard, will try to persuade her a bit more.
We live in London, never enough time!!
Should be some kind of health club or pool somewhere in London where she could get lessons without a crowd of kids. What about teaching her yourself? Basic treading water is as simple as it can get. Back stroke is also very easy and she wouldn't have to put her head under water, same with a breast stroke. She doesn't need to swim like Michael Phelps, just enough to paddle around a gain a bit of confidence on the water.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 15:30   #8

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

You might try taking lessons together, making it a “date” thing, then go out for a cocktail after each lesson, could be great fun. Just a thought...
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 16:35   #9

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

If she doesn't want to do lessons with all the kids, ask about private lessons. Typically (at least where I live) private lessons are relatively cheap.
Our kids weren't doing well in group lessons, so we looked into one on one. Once you factored in that they could learn so much quicker, the overall cost was about the same.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 17:02   #10

Until then, Flamingo,

Get her an auto-inflate life jacket and harness so she can put it on over her boating gear before putting one toe on the dock and/or boat.

You might also set up Jack lines, bow to stern, so she can clip on and move freely up and down the boat, should she so choose.

These new auto-inflate jackets are not cumbersome at all and do provide much-enhanced peace of mind!

I have used the Crewsaver brand for 20 years and it actually did save my life once. Here's a link to a UK retailer that sells them:

https://www.force4.co.uk/department/...e-jackets.html

Fair winds,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 06:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Until then, Flamingo,

Get her an auto-inflate life jacket and harness so she can put it on over her boating gear before putting one toe on the dock and/or boat.

You might also set up Jack lines, bow to stern, so she can clip on and move freely up and down the boat, should she so choose.

These new auto-inflate jackets are not cumbersome at all and do provide much-enhanced peace of mind!

I have used the Crewsaver brand for 20 years and it actually did save my life once. Here's a link to a UK retailer that sells them:

https://www.force4.co.uk/department/...e-jackets.html

Fair winds,
LittleWing

Thank you very much, we have the vests already will need to change the cartridges, will invest in a harness.
Old 22-01-2019, 06:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
If she doesn't want to do lessons with all the kids, ask about private lessons. Typically (at least where I live) private lessons are relatively cheap.
Our kids weren't doing well in group lessons, so we looked into one on one. Once you factored in that they could learn so much quicker, the overall cost was about the same.

Thanks will check with the local swimming pool.
Old 22-01-2019, 06:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
You might try taking lessons together, making it a “date” thing, then go out for a cocktail after each lesson, could be great fun. Just a thought...

Quite romantic, I like that.
Old 22-01-2019, 06:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
OT but can’t resist telling the story. My wife (before we met) didn’t learn to swim until an adult; after she completed her first lessons a friend gave her a challenge - now take a sailing course.

I was the instructor on her first live aboard course, and we’re still sailing (and occasionally swimming) together 30-some years later.

That is a great story, really building confidence now.
Old 22-01-2019, 08:23   #15
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

I can swim well, but even I wear an inflatable life jacket all the time when underway above decks. I've never fallen overboard, but even good swimmers can easily drown when encountering very cold water, and encumbered by heavy clothing or debris...

The main thing to focus on is floating. Swimming is sometimes overrated as a means of self-rescue in deep water.

Since you are in relatively cool climate, "float coat" type waterproof gear that fishermen use around here would keep her warm, dry and safe.

We were once in a sailing course in the Virgin Islands. One of the instructors jumped overboard while the boat was at full speed to allow us to practice man-overboard drill. We weren't very good and it took a long time to get him back on board. He was very cold by the time we did. Silly sod.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote