Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 18:54   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40
Re: Electric Sailboat . . . On The Cheap ?

I bailed on my EP project for my 40', 20,000 lb sailboat and installed new Yanmar. I was working with ASMO, but after 2 yrs and not getting delivery, I gave up on them. I'd be careful of ASMO. Having said that, I did receive the drive motor, a Lynch PM motor, 17kw @ 96VDC, fully stainless steel, with mounting rails. Would like to get sell it if someone wants to EP their boat. Contact me pm
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 18:58   #47

Boat: too many

How do tell a Lynch from a Lemco, or are they the same?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 19:27   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

They are the same. See attached website: LEMCO (Lynch)
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 20:41   #49

Boat: Mao Ta 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris07732
I bailed on my EP project for my 40', 20,000 lb sailboat and installed new Yanmar. I was working with ASMO, but after 2 yrs and not getting delivery, I gave up on them. I'd be careful of ASMO. Having said that, I did receive the drive motor, a Lynch PM motor, 17kw @ 96VDC, fully stainless steel, with mounting rails. Would like to get sell it if someone wants to EP their boat. Contact me pm
Pm sent
Sovereigndreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 21:52   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Moody376 37'10"

Sovereigndreams - Very sorry to hear of your earlier problems with the former ASMO distributor. NGC is no longer in business. We have been distributing the Thoosa systems for two years now. We have been working hard to overcome some of the bad press created by problems that occurred with that distributor.

ASMO Marine is based in Denmark and has grown and is now called Clean eŻ Marine. The North American importer/distributor is Clean eŻ Marine Americas. We, Annapolis Hybrid Marine, are the East coast dealer/distributor. The websites are listed below for anyone who would like to take a look. The current Thoosa systems range from 5kW up to 12kW. A new line of AC brushless motor systems will be out this summer that will go up to 22kW. They also do custom designs which go up to and beyond 100kW.

There are a wide range of electric propulsion systems and products available these days. It's good to see that this technology is gaining favor as a viable option. Diesel will always be needed in many installations, but keeping an open mind about electric propulsion will allow many people to get away from the fumes, the vibration, the noise and the maintenance associated with a diesel or gas inboard motor. Thanks to everyone on this forum for keeping the interest going and spreading the knowledge.

Sally Reuther
Annapolis Hybrid Marine
SReuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 18:05   #51

Boat: Mao Ta 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SReuther
Sovereigndreams - Very sorry to hear of your earlier problems with the former ASMO distributor. NGC is no longer in business. We have been distributing the Thoosa systems for two years now. We have been working hard to overcome some of the bad press created by problems that occurred with that distributor.

ASMO Marine is based in Denmark and has grown and is now called Clean eŻ Marine. The North American importer/distributor is Clean eŻ Marine Americas. We, Annapolis Hybrid Marine, are the East coast dealer/distributor. The websites are listed below for anyone who would like to take a look. The current Thoosa systems range from 5kW up to 12kW. A new line of AC brushless motor systems will be out this summer that will go up to 22kW. They also do custom designs which go up to and beyond 100kW.

There are a wide range of electric propulsion systems and products available these days. It's good to see that this technology is gaining favor as a viable option. Diesel will always be needed in many installations, but keeping an open mind about electric propulsion will allow many people to get away from the fumes, the vibration, the noise and the maintenance associated with a diesel or gas inboard motor. Thanks to everyone on this forum for keeping the interest going and spreading the knowledge.

Sally Reuther
Annapolis Hybrid Marine
Sally,

That was not me. It was another person on this forum I am thinking about buying his lynch motor.
Sovereigndreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 18:44   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SReuther View Post

Sally Reuther
Annapolis Hybrid Marine
Might be me, I'm avid and rabid about EP. For the boat and dinghy, and one step further, a fully electric galley right down to the 1500 watt BBQ on the railing. Were your ratings 5~12Kw up to the 22Kw continuous or peak?

I'm collecting commercial links for marine EP and hybrid here http://tbuckets.lefora.com/2012/03/1...ystems/#post10

Your more than welcome (in fact invited) to leave links and posts on EP
Old 16-03-2012, 04:39   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post
My apology to the OP. But can one of you 'mech heads' point me in the right direction for a book that will show me some 'beginners' info on 12V? As you all have me really interested in this topic, I looked at the library for a book......but there was nothing to be found. So I will purchase...but I would like something that will teach a noob but would prefer it not be for 'idiots' or 'dummies' as I am neither!
Gelfling:

There are two books I carry on board:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ON BIANKA'S BOOKSHELF: Books of an electric sailor
I had Calder's book on board even in my diesel days. I bought Charlie Wings book more recently but, both IMO are worthy of the space they take up on board.
Old 16-03-2012, 05:16   #54

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Gelfling:

There are two books I carry on board:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ON BIANKA'S BOOKSHELF: Books of an electric sailor
I had Calder's book on board even in my diesel days. I bought Charlie Wings book more recently but, both IMO are worthy of the space they take up on board.
Thanks Mike. I was actually looking at both of these yesterday while deciding which one to get. Looks like I will be getting both of them!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 07:43   #55

I've been following this thread with interest. Part of the reason we are drawn to sailboats is the ability to harness "free" power and the silence it provides over running the engine. EP could provide a laudable means to this end. A question comes to mind for those with experience in this field. Mention has been made of the electric galley and total elimination of flammable gases and fluids on board. Here on the coast of BC we need to heat our boats for a large percentage of the year. How will a battery based system handle heating needs? Unless there is a system I'm unaware of, electric heating is resistive and would be a big power draw. I guess there's always wood heat but if you're offshore in cooler latitudes you'll be towing a woodshed.
knots2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 07:53   #56

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
pirate Re: Electric Sailboat . . . On The Cheap ?

Personally i have no experience with marine heating systems, but heating systems in general all follow the same principles.
I have acquaintances with live-aboard s in B.C. and they all say the same thing: insulation,insulation,insulation,electric heat in our homes is very wasteful without an air circulation system to go with it.
So i would say in colder climates like ours (i live in the Fraser Valley..Brrrr) i would say diesel heat or mini wood burner would be the cats meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knots2u View Post
I've been following this thread with interest. Part of the reason we are drawn to sailboats is the ability to harness "free" power and the silence it provides over running the engine. EP could provide a laudable means to this end. A question comes to mind for those with experience in this field. Mention has been made of the electric galley and total elimination of flammable gases and fluids on board. Here on the coast of BC we need to heat our boats for a large percentage of the year. How will a battery based system handle heating needs? Unless there is a system I'm unaware of, electric heating is resistive and would be a big power draw. I guess there's always wood heat but if you're offshore in cooler latitudes you'll be towing a woodshed.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 08:36   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by knots2u View Post
I'm the guilty one of wanting an electric galley, but will have a DC diesel gen-set on board, so a diesel fired heater. On most catamarans there is no reason you can't fit 1 Kw worth of solar atop the davits that should handle your electrical needs short of heat/AC. Many marine AC units are heat pumps but a better conversion of diesel to heat would be a air injected, diesel fueled, heat box for hotter and more complete combustion (less smoke out the stack). Air added to any combustion process assures a more complete process, such as the pellet stove I use at home.
Old 16-03-2012, 08:42   #58

Boat: Colin Archer RS-22 46' LOD

Why not go with something like a Baldor "Washdown" motor and an off the shelf inverter drive? One would need to figure out how to power the inverter (I know they all convert the input AC to DC and then back to AC, so one would need to feed the correct voltage of DC into the unit.), but I don't think that would be to hard. One would need the following:

Inverter Drive

Brushless Baldor Washdown 10HP Motor

and then of course one would need to figure out what batteries they wanted to use. To control the motor you would need a DPDT switch for forward/reverse and a potentiometer for RPM

Other than batteries the parts would cost around $2000 not too bad for electric drive. To me it seems like a easy solution and should provide years of service.

Your thoughts?
Old 16-03-2012, 08:49   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadejda View Post
Why not go with something like a Baldor "Washdown" motor and an off the shelf inverter drive? One would need to figure out how to power the inverter (I know they all convert the input AC to DC and then back to AC, so one would need to feed the correct voltage of DC into the unit.), but I don't think that would be to hard. One would need the following:

Inverter Drive

Brushless Baldor Washdown 10HP Motor

and then of course one would need to figure out what batteries they wanted to use. To control the motor you would need a DPDT switch for forward/reverse and a potentiometer for RPM

Other than batteries the parts would cost around $2000 not too bad for electric drive. To me it seems like a easy solution and should provide years of service.

Your thoughts?

That would be one huge potentiometer. Speed control, if using DC, should be PWM (pulse width modulated). That would also handle reverse because trying to change polarity with a DPDT would require a switch with a 300 amp DC rating. Plus, a motor designed to do this work, rated at 13Kw cont, 30Kw peak, can be purchased for $700.

http://www.cloudelectric.com/product_p/mo-me-0913.htm

http://www.cloudelectric.com/product_p/co-kbl72401b.htm
Old 16-03-2012, 09:28   #60

Boat: Colin Archer RS-22 46' LOD

Bob,

The switch and pot are only used to control the inverter drive so no real current needs to be carried by either to perform their function. I have installed dozen of these drives on machine tools and they work great.

Looked at the links, you are right the DC components are inexpensive.

Peter

Tags
cheap, electric, sailboat