Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2017, 07:00   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coastal cruising and getting older

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
I sailed a full month with my son, 42years older than me..
Damn..!!!
That's what I call an early start to your sex life..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 08:16   #77

Re: Coastal cruising and getting older

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn..!!!
That's what I call an early start to your sex life..
God Boatie your on a roll, too funny!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 09:12   #78

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Honestly, sailing is great, but floating is more important than ever.

So, i dont disagree at considering pottering in the European internal waters, one day

The Dutch have excellent boats for that.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 11:51   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddave View Post
Haha, we must all come out of the same mould 👍🍻
yup!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 13:32   #80

A sailboat is as close to a "fountain of youth" as I've ever come across. The constant core muscle activity underway, steps/ladders everywhere, balancing against a heel, ropes to pull, "one hand for you, one hand for the boat"...

And, of course, boat maintenance stretches the joints in ways never imagined in a Pilates class - such as hanging upside down in the bilge trying to reach a dropped screwdriver.

There's also a lot of evidence that the mind is kept sharp by a intellectual problem solving - be it calculating drift to decide if you'll clear the point or tracing the air leak in the fuel line.

Go to any marina and notice how healthy and spry 60+ cruising sailors are. Now, part of this is "self selection" - the sick ones have gone ashore - but that doesn't explain it all.

If you can't do sail then a trawler gets many of the same benefits - certainly it's a lot better than sitting on a rocker at "Del Boca Vista - Phase III"

But if you can, get a sailboat - you'll live longer
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 13:40   #81

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
A sailboat is as close to a "fountain of youth" as I've ever come across. The constant core muscle activity underway, steps/ladders everywhere, balancing against a heel, ropes to pull, "one hand for you, one hand for the boat"...

And, of course, boat maintenance stretches the joints in ways never imagined in a Pilates class - such as hanging upside down in the bilge trying to reach a dropped screwdriver.

There's also a lot of evidence that the mind is kept sharp by a intellectual problems - be it calculating drift to decide if you'll clear the point or tracing the air leak in the fuel line.

Go to any marina and notice how healthy and spry 60+ cruising sailors are. Now, part of this is "self selection" - the sick ones have gone ashore - but that doesn't explain it all.

Get a sailboat - you'll live longer
I totally agree...I've been saying this for years. Joshua Slocum came home 10 years younger when he completed his epic circumnavigation. The more I sail, the younger/healthier I feel. Sailing is the fountain of youth!

When I was younger I wore glasses (near sighted). After a few years of sailing, staring at distant horizons instead of a computer screen, I was delighted to find that I no longer needed glasses. What a miracle...thanks to sailing!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 08:27   #82

Boat: Bénéteau First 25.7

I have no advice to provide, just telling you what suits me best:
I am 75 years old,
a modern GRP boat 8 years old (I have a Beneteau First 25.7 - 8 meters) with
a thin keel, light weight, twin rudders and double-skin hull (no condensation)
a furling headsail
double line slab reefing with halyard and reefing lines led back to the cockpit
two 2 speed self-tailing winches of decent size (one-up on the boat's spec)
all the control lines led aft (to the cockpit)
autopilot
electronic windvane, log and depth, chart plotter.
good shelter (boat hood)
lazy jacks and lazy bag for main
decent auxiliary power (14 HP Yanmar diesel)
Size of the interior is just fine for short period coastal cruising, full headroom in main cabin

I single-hand 80 % of the time, the rest with ''a nice girl'', my young wife.
Delafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 15:32   #83

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

There's also a lot of evidence that the mind is kept sharp by a intellectual problem solving - be it calculating drift to decide if you'll clear the point or tracing the air leak in the fuel line.

If you can't do sail then a trawler gets many of the same benefits - certainly it's a lot better than sitting on a rocker at "Del Boca Vista - Phase III"

But if you can, get a sailboat - you'll live longer
Very nice summary that rings true with us also.

Back here in Australia, I spend enough time on my road bike to do 500 - 1000km per month, and ride with guys up to 40 years my junior, so am not exactly unfit.
However on our boat, it is a different story - the up and down companionway countless times per day, the bending, flexing, in and out of the forepeak or the lazarettes, here, there and everywhere, the sailing, the mental exercise, the clean, fresh air .... we both come back feeling fitter, and definitely leaner.

Then there is the food. My wife commented the first time that we had been living on board in France for a few weeks, that she felt better than since she had cancer (some 7 years past at that stage).

We noticed the food tasted better, and obviously was better for us. We figure a big part is that the fruit especially, (we are both vegetarian), is picked ripe over there, rather than weeks before it should be, as is often the case back here in Aus.

There is a lot going for living on a yacht and sailing around the Med - just need to get to the stage where we can do it more than a couple of months a year max.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 17:40   #84

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

David B
Have a bite of italy
Much less butter, and cream
Better wine :-)

Much better bread
And tens of different pasta :-)

GO FRESH
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 17:46   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post

We noticed the food tasted better, and obviously was better for us. We figure a big part is that the fruit especially, (we are both vegetarian), is picked ripe over there, rather than weeks before it should be, as is often the case back here in Aus.

There is a lot going for living on a yacht and sailing around the Med - just need to get to the stage where we can do it more than a couple of months a year max.
Absolutely agree about the fruit and vegetables in the Med. However we just can't let go of a lunchtime pita gyros! We sail May, June in the Ionian and just love it. So much so that we're looking at buying a small place in Old Corfu town and, over the years, make the move to the land as a break from Adelaide's winter. We don't often get the Mistral or, the Meltemi type of winds howling through the shrouds and often get a nice afternoon sea breeze. Come on over and have a look!
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 18:20   #86

Quote:
David B
Have a bite of italy
Much less butter, and cream
Better wine :-)

Much better bread
And tens of different pasta :-)

GO FRESH
Yes, enjoy Italy too, but more expensive marina-wise. Bread - not sure of that. Our favourite for bread is Germany - now they know how to make decent bread !
Old 17-01-2017, 18:28   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Absolutely agree about the fruit and vegetables in the Med. However we just can't let go of a lunchtime pita gyros! We sail May, June in the Ionian and just love it. So much so that we're looking at buying a small place in Old Corfu town and, over the years, make the move to the land as a break from Adelaide's winter. We don't often get the Mistral or, the Meltemi type of winds howling through the shrouds and often get a nice afternoon sea breeze. Come on over and have a look!
Sounds good. We are returning to Sicily in late April (returning early July), and slowly heading east. First the Adriatic, then the Ionian. Would be good to catch up. PM me if you would like to meet up here or there.
Old 17-01-2017, 20:20   #88
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian W. View Post
Thanks Jim, you got it one -I'm in it for the sailing!

I should have posted this earlier, I was also at the Cygnet Folk Festival, now back on moorings in Oyster Cove. I have enjoyed your's and Anne's posts for a long time.

I will keep an eye out for Insatiable II.

Christian 'Beatrice'
Christian.....Jim usually gets it in one.[emoji106]

Perhaps something to try first is to advertise and interview for a young volunteer crew that can take some of the physical load off that a solo sailor has.

Plenty of people want to sail but are unemployed and don't have the coin.

Take care of the room and board and find someone who loves sailing as much as you do.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 03:46   #89

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
David B Have a bite of italy Much less butter, and cream Better wine :-) Much better bread And tens of different pasta :-) GO FRESH
The cholesterol medication mafia doesn't want you to discover that Mediterranean people have higher cholesterol levels & far less heart related deaths all because of their use of olive oil instead of animal fat (Butter... etc).
If you speak French or German have a look at Arte: "Le Grand Bluff":
ARTE+7 | Cholestérol : le grand bluff
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 07:39   #90

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I will soon be 36 and am dyslexic. (hope you got that one). I know my time is coming after two MCI and other challenges. For me, it's not so much about just sailing. It's more about adventure in my life and challenges not everyone is capable of trying. I am exhilarated by adventure, so I have as much of a good time in my Whitehall 14 footer, with my Border Collie as I have with my little ship.
I have recently allowed a Alajuela 38 to tug at my heart strings but I know in my inner most self that it would be a bad move physically. I call working in tight places on a boat, "Boat Yoga". It actually hurts me these days. I have a few more goals to accomplish with "Joli Elle", my Hallberg Rassy. I have learned to be ok with the way things are and not what I want them to be.,
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising