Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 18:54   #16

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrap View Post
anotherT34C,

I was told by my phone-a-friend that the Talented Mr Ripley sailboat is a Hinckley. Looks about 40ft. That would explain the classic lines.
Thanks for the lead. I did a google search and found some pics to drool over.

Boats in Film (1) The Talented Mr. Ripley | Never Sea Land

Based on the relative size of the folks aboard, I'd guess she's somewhere in the 30-35 foot length? Definitely looks S&S.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 19:26   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Someone on the site to which you provided a link, T34C, opines that it is an S&S New York 32, and provides the following link:

Sparkman & Stephens New York 32. Yacht for sale from classic yacht broker in Poole..

Whether or not that is the one, it's a beautiful vessel.

TaoJones
Old 12-01-2009, 19:26   #18

I really love the yacht in Open Water 2 (Godspeed). Nice marriage of old classic lines with the latest in hull and equipment! I've been trying to find more information on this yacht. I could be a custom.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 19:42   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
I really love the yacht in Open Water 2 (Godspeed). Nice marriage of old classic lines with the latest in hull and equipment!
Here's some video of Godspeed in action, starting at about 08:45 to about 09:20 of the ten minute clip:

TaoJones
Old 12-01-2009, 22:17   #20

Trust me Tao, I watch that beginning nearly 3 times a week just to clear my mind and get my spirits up!! I own it and watch it up to the part where he grabs the girl and jumps in without having "safety first and checks" done..

Love that Yacht!! Any idea what make or model that is or do you think it is a custom??
Old 13-01-2009, 07:18   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
OKAY TAO,

So Geraldo might actually be able to sail. His sensationalism to sail into a storm for the thrill is the kind of things that bug me about this man......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 08:28   #22

shadow,

Very beautiful boat. I'm unfamiliar with the model, but that's unsurprising since I'll probably never own a million dollar yacht.

Despite the claim of the character, I doubt it's a "new" boat. Those CCA era lines tell me early seventies or older.

As for Geraldo, did the author say that G actually DID sail into a storm "just because" or that he SEEMED to the author to be the type to do something like that?

I'm too lazy to go back and look. But from what I read, G gets +10 points for sailing, +20 for owning an S&S. I won't tell what my aggregate opinion of him is. WFB also got +10 points for sailing, and +50 for owning Suzy Wong.
Old 13-01-2009, 08:35   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Suzy Wong?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 09:03   #24

Yeah, I think that was the name of his wooden Nevins 40 yawl. Very drool-worthy.
Old 13-01-2009, 14:28   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are correct, T34C. Bill Buckley owned and sailed Suzy Wong for sixteen years. He purchased her with the insurance proceeds from the loss of The Panic, a "Dutch-built, forty-two foot steel cutter." The Panic was a victim of a 1961 hurricane which tore her from her marina dock, and tossed her on the breakwater at the harbor's entrance.

Suzy was indeed a Nevins 40 from S&S. She had an interesting beginning, as you can read in the link I'll provide below. Mr. Buckley happily sailed her for sixteen years. He sold her for $30,000 and bought the famous Cyrano, "...a sixty-foot schooner with an eighteen-foot bowsprit..." for that same $30k. He owned Cyrano for nine years, and had tried unsuccessfully to charter her, then finally decided to sell her to be rid of the burdensome expense that came with her ownership.

After Cyrano came Patito, a 36' fiberglass vessel that his son Christopher, and Christo's lifelong friend Danny Merritt, had found and obtained for Mr. Buckley. She was the last boat owned by this dedicated sailor, and you can read all about his decision to sell Patito and give up sailing at this link:

Aweigh - The Atlantic (July/August 2004)

The many books William F. Buckley has written detailing his experiences at sea are a delight. He and I may have diametrically opposite political views, but I have great respect for him both as a talented wordsmith and a sailor, and who cares about all that political stuff when you're happily at sea or deep in the pages of a book about sailing?

TaoJones
Old 13-01-2009, 20:02   #26

Thanks again, for the interesting read. I have to wonder though about Mr Buckley's aging memory. I had read Atlantic High, and in it he recounts owning Suzy Wong before, during, and for a short time after owning Cyrano. He couldn't have sold SW to buy Cyrano, as he writes in the article.

As for the man, I find him an interesting subject to study (how smart people come to believe weird things).

BTW, I also remember reading in AH that he planned and filmed footage for a documentary. Does anyone know if one was ever made?
Old 29-12-2010, 14:11   #27

Boat: Le Comte Ocean 52 - Avatar
Yacht godspeed

Hi,

not sure if you are still looking for the boat but the yacht in the movie "Adrift" called Godspeed is actually the Dutch yacht Annegine, a Bestevaer 76 designed by Dutch naval architect Gerry Dijkstra & Partners and built by K&M yachtbuilders In Makkum Holland.

Beautiful boat indeed!

Cheers
jeroen
jeropo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 15:56   #28

Thanks Jeroen!! I truly love that yacht, the lines, everything!! After an exhaustive search, I found an exact sistership selling for 1.8M Euros. It sold quickly, within a week. The shots were mouth watering, from inside/out!! That is definitely a dream boat of mine, or at least one of several that I have seen. Most of the other ones were in the range of 8M to 80M.. Crazy money, but gorgeous nontheless!!
Old 29-12-2010, 16:22   #29

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Nice for sure but really could do with a bathing platform........
Old 18-07-2014, 23:32   #30

Re: Challenge: What Movie Sailboat Is that ?

Ray,
My wife and I took a trip to Oxford MD today and happened upon Cutts & Case Boatyard. They make amazing wooden boats and one of the guys offered to show us around. He took us thru his shop and pointed to a boat tied up in the water and asked if we had seen Failure to Launch. There was your boat. His father Cutts Sr., designed it and they built it. The thing was incredible and he said that they didn't use any glue building it. I'm not a boat guy, we were just walking around town, but some of the boats they had were really works of art.

Its been years since we'd seen the movie so when we got home we tried to look it up and that's where I ran across your question. You may have found it in the years since posting this, but the name of the boat is the Spellbound.

Luke
lukew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie