Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2010, 11:54   #1

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Challenge: Transporting a Catamaran

Can anyone tell me the feasibility of transporting a catamaran from Phoenix to either Puerto Penasco Mexico or San Diego or ?? I've checked out some boat hauler websites but most don't specifically mention Cats. have not called any of them. Because I am landlocked for the foreseeable future I am contemplating constructing a +/- 50' x 28' catamaran. Weight = +/- 29,000LBS. This may not even be possible. Just checking. Thanks.
Old 27-06-2010, 12:11   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Because I am landlocked for the foreseeable future I am contemplating constructing a +/- 50' x 28' catamaran. Weight = +/- 29,000LBS. This may not even be possible. Just checking.
It can't really be done feasibly. If you flip it on the side you are hampered by bridges and the fact no shipper will want to be responsible for the condition of the hull. You can't go flat because it's way too wide, even with lead and trail vehicles.

Sorry about that.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 14:13   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
As Maren said. Unfortunately, not a chance.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 15:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Boatdesign.net has a designer's forum that thrives on this kind of off the wall stuff. Ask them how you would go about building a cat in two 14' wide halves, or building it whole with the intent to cut it in half for the trip. The latter might insure a better fit when you get to the put it back together stage. They might decide it's two easy, and start talking about squeezing in into four shipping containers.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 15:22   #5

cuttin' it in half...now that's thinking outside the box sandy! Thanks. I'll check out your recommendation.
Old 27-06-2010, 16:26   #6

there was this guy Blair Gringols who built a cat that was 47+ feet long. He named it Capricorn Cat. During the construction he hauled it from calif to washington state to complete it. He did exactly what Sandy suggested. He cut it in two and trucked it up. I do not know at what stage this was done.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 16:56   #7

Thank you Stacy thats very interesting info. Any info from the cruisin forum world about Blair Gringols and his project will be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 27-06-2010, 16:59   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
Where the heck is Phoenix? Cannot sail?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 17:06   #9

Capricorn Cat is a very fine cat. You'd do well to copy anything or everything about her. I can put you in touch with the present owner if you PM me. He knows Blair and the boat well.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 17:09   #10

i know barnakiel. you are absolutely correct though. phoenix and sailing dont exactly gp together but dont get me started. i WILL someday be off the hard as it were. but not right now... right now im examining all the options i have to make it happen
Old 20-07-2010, 19:39   #11

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
Transporting a catamaran

Once you get wider than 16' or so it becomes a problem. I had my boat shipped from Anacortes, WA to Baltimore, MD.

There are a lot of unscrupulous shippers out there, so when you are ready to ship do your homework.

There was a thread on the Cruisers forum earlier this year:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tle-37736.html

Several forum members suggested shippers they had good results with and some suggested shippers to stay away from.

I used Associated Boat Transport after getting ripped off by Global Yacht Hauling, Inc. and owner Ed Perrin. Contract called for 50% deposit, which would confirm a date.

Kept getting a runaround when I asked for a firm date as specified in the contract and finally used Associated. They don't even require a deposit! As Jack, the owner said, "I have your boat."

I posted a page about the perils of shipping:
Beware of Global Yacht Hauling Inc.: How to Avoid the Pitfalls of Hiring a Transporter to Haul Your Boat
Old 20-07-2010, 20:47   #12

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I also live in Phoenix where I am earning my Freedom Chips. I think the only way you can build a boat in Phoenix is to cut it in half for shipment. I don't see that as a problem. Just another step in the construction process. After all, my Privilege 39 catamaran was built in four pieces - two hulls, one bridgedeck, and one deck. The four pieces were fiberglassed together to create a massively powerful bond of all four parts.

That being said, if I wanted to build a catamaran, I would not do it in Phoenix. Four or five months a year, it is too hot to do building unless you are in an airconditioned building. There are lots of places around the world that are better adapted to the home builder. When I was in Monty's boatyard in Caboolture, Australia, there were boats underconstruction all of the time.

It's easier to move the builder than it is to move the boat.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 05:36   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Why not buile her in 3 pieces? Later add the hulls to the house? That is how Imagine was built.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 05:41   #14

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
If you are building it from scratch, plan for cutting it in half, this is not really outside the box , just practical thinking. Many years ago Gils Catamarans in california did just that when building a big CSK cat for a Chicago customer,they are still in business so you may want to give them a call.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 21:23   #15

maxingout Dave,
im slowly beginning to face the realization that building a cat of any size in Phoenix is not a good idea unless you want to moor it in your back yard. (Wow now thats an idea. How about an entire trailer park for the snowbirds with no trailers-just catamarans on the hard.) Building it as difficult as that will be is actually the easy part compared to getting it to the water.