Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2011, 16:02   #61
Armchair Bucketeer

re: Thinking Outside the Medical Box: Seizure & Diabetic

Loosen all her clothing - then maybe start a heart massage

Apart from that I would be looking for any sort of Medical Alert bracelet / necklace - and failing that a rummage through her handbag (or equivalent onboard squirrel hole ).......might give some clues as to WTF is going on(and maybe even some meds?) - even if I couldn't fix her, would at least satisfy my curiosity / stop wasting my time.

To be honest, on my boat she'd highly likely (99%?) end up dead. But with a concealed medicial condition - as far as I am concerned that's down to her / her tough luck.
Old 16-08-2011, 16:43   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in mexico one is able to purchase antibiotix over the counter. i like to have
cipro0500 mg tabs
bactrim tabs
flagyl 250 mg tabs
levaquin 500 mg tabs
cipro for generalized infections of skin
flagyl for monty's revenges
bactrim as is good for bladder infections
levaquin is also good for infections and particularly for lung ones.
i try to keep bottle of each on board.

if onion is so good for seizure activity, then why is it not administered in an emergency room or in ambulances. we gave valium iv. stopped it cold.
low blood sugar can and does cause seizure activity --sugar in the cheek/sublingual is given in field. can and will save a life.
is better to give sugar than wait until death to find out the sugar level is so low that the sugar is necessary. it will not kill the individual in trouble. withholding it can. that is taught in basic life saving 101.
if she has seizures per history and hasnt said anything to the boat owner /captain, then she will die. she needs to speak up about special needs. also needs to have a routine written out for treatment of her seizures.
Old 16-08-2011, 17:02   #63

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Lessons to take on your boat......
  • KNOW your crew's history
  • Download to hard drive or have a book listing what medications do (PDR is excellent)
  • Download or get a book that has a LOT of emergency medical info... not all mishaps at sea are trauma!
  • Be a detective! Look around and see what you have to work with. "Paging Dr. Mac Giver"
  • If you plan to make passages outside the coverage of modern medicine, take a course in emergency medicine (or if you're well heeled, HIRE crew that has the training)

Once again, this scenario is TOTALLY outside normal medical protocol, BUT you have to make due.
Great thread Geo. What exactly is the PDR? Sounds like something to have aboard. I spent 12 years as a full time ski patrolman for NYS and have dealt with all sorts of medical emergencies in conditions almost as remote from help as on a boat. Getting someone seriously injured/sick off a mountain can take hours. It's amazing what you can come up with from what is available. I'm really not up to date on identifying meds at all. Would like to add this reference to the books on boat.
Old 16-08-2011, 17:09   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Great thread Geo. What exactly is the PDR? Sounds like something to have aboard.
This is one of the acronyms I actually understood... Physicians Desk Reference, and basically outlines various drugs and their use. Here is an online consumers free version.
Old 16-08-2011, 17:25   #65

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Thanks avb3. Nice site but without internet on boat, not practical. There must be somewhere to download a Pdf or ebook for a reasonable price. The $99 they want for the CD is a bit steep.
Old 16-08-2011, 17:35   #66

one may purchase used physicians desk references in many places. there is even a copy in th e exchange library in mazatlan's marina mazatlan. go to thrift shops--good will, etc--i have seen them there. i have given mine to those places when i was done with em.
Old 16-08-2011, 17:45   #67

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Good thread to start "what does your off shore med kit contain" I want to know why my stainless staple gun is beginning to pit, next will it rust?

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
Old 16-08-2011, 17:52   #68

pitting first, rusting next. if you use it for stapling skin, best invest in tetanus antitoxin, after all, you do have a horse barn.
Old 16-08-2011, 18:12   #69

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Oh I have that too. But the stapler on the farm was more expensive but been in use for probably 15 years....no problems but that's used on horses not humans so it has to be good..LMAO I'm use sutures more..

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
Old 16-08-2011, 18:27   #70

as people said about keeping the airway clear and....put some sugar under her tongue?

Old 16-08-2011, 18:37   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Onion Juice? Never heard of that (nor does it seem Google either) you have any reference on that?

PDR is also available as an app for iphones

Don’t worry about sutures OR staples, carry crazy glue!
Old 16-08-2011, 18:43   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Onion juice for Valium withdrawal, well I'll be. Cheech, how you going to get the sugar into her mouth while she is in seizure? Bye, bye fingers.
Old 16-08-2011, 18:50   #73

I may have misunderstood what was meant by "outside the box" so please help me understand what was intended by that phrase. I interpreted this to mean what might one do in the given situation with what is on hand on hand. Sometimes a preferred treatment is not available.

Quote:
if onion is so good for seizure activity, then why is it not administered in an emergency room or in ambulances. we gave valium iv. stopped it cold.
zeehag, if you have an equipped ambulance/emergency room available, then by all means use it. What if you don't have that option? What if you don't have the pharma items available that were mentioned in prior posts? Do you recommend we do nothing other than clearing airways, rolling on side etc? Please advise.

Onion juice in the nostril has been used for seizures in a number of rural areas and/or developing countries (India & Nigeria come to mind). When you have nothing else on hand, this may help. It is mentioned in the classical medical texts of Ayurveda, Unani and QiGong medical systems as a treatment for seizures (one of many possible treatments). I have actually seen it used in rural areas by doctors of these tradtional medicine systems when people went unexpectedly into a seizure, thrashing and drooling/frothing at the mouth. The onion juice stopped the thrashing and brought them round to consciousness very quickly.

We swab honey or sugar behind the lip or under the tongue if someone has passed out from low blood sugar.
Old 16-08-2011, 18:52   #74

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Some FREE online medical books:
“Where There is No Doctor” ~ by David Werner
Where There Is No Doctor By David Werner
“Where There Is No Dentist” ~ by Murray Dickson
http://www.hesperian.info/assets/den...t_06_web_0.pdf
“Ship Captain's Medical Guide”
Ships Captain's Medical Guide
The first two books and others can be obtained from the Hesperian Foundation. I have some of their titles on my boat and they make great reading and resource books for when you are out there on the fringes.
Hesperian Foundation

- - Also the "Merck Manual" is available on CD and is good for much of the same things and looking up drugs. Amazon.com: The Merck Manual on CD-ROM (9781889185033): Merck, Co.: Books

- - Also for snorkeling/marine/diving injuries and problems DAN has some good books. See:
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/s...ome.aspx?id=80
Old 16-08-2011, 18:56   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMuse View Post
I may have misunderstood what was meant by "outside the box" so please help me understand what was intended by that phrase. I interpreted this to mean what might one do in the given situation with what is on hand on hand. Sometimes a preferred treatment is not available.

zeehag, if you have an equipped ambulance/emergency room available, then by all means use it. What if you don't have that option? What if you don't have the pharma items available that were mentioned in prior posts? Do you recommend we do nothing other than clearing airways, rolling on side etc? Please advise.

Onion juice in the nostril has been used for seizures in a number of rural areas and/or developing countries (India & Nigeria come to mind). When you have nothing else on hand, this may help. It is mentioned in the classical medical texts of Ayurveda, Unani and QiGong medical systems as a treatment for seizures (one of many possible treatments). I have actually seen it used in rural areas by doctors of these tradtional medicine systems when people went unexpectedly into a seizure, thrashing and drooling/frothing at the mouth. The onion juice stopped the thrashing and brought them round to consciousness very quickly.

We swab honey or sugar behind the lip or under the tongue if someone has passed out from low blood sugar.
You are 100% on what it meant, and if the Onion thing works, then yes it is certainly outside the box! I could not find any reference to it in a Google search. I would like to know WHY it works (inquiring minds and all)

Tags
medical