Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2010, 15:17   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hi Jay... they look ok for the price..
I would recommend getting a 3rd reef in the main tho, and and a No2 jib and storm jib if needed... if you stick to hank ons.. or set up a good quality single line furler system that'll use the existing sails... theyre pretty cheap at that size and easy to maintain... done that on my Corribee and Hurley 22, it works well and stood up to strong blows... just sew slides on where the hanks are...that 3rd reef is a must as 2 reefs leaves to much up in a real blow when you cant run for shelter... thats my experience anyway..
for what its worth...
I know there's gonna be those that say a furler does not set so well..points like crap.. but believe me .. the fewer times you have to struggle forward on a little boat bouncing about miles from land the better of you'll be... your not going round the bouy... your rounding countries...lol
Saves valuable energy and cuts down the risks of getting knocked over the side.. furlings got more plus points than negatives for long distance sailing...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 15:27   #77

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
See if you have enough time to look at this 27' Coronado before the auction closes tomorrow:

LOVELY 27' Coronado Sloop, 1973. Sail this summer! : eBay Motors (item 160416632549 end time Mar-30-10 10:15:54 PDT)
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 15:45   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Not meaning to knock it...it looks nice but is that battered looking steel plating at the bow standard... dont recall seeing it on other Coronado's that size... also, I've heard they're a bit lightweight compared to other makes in that range.
The only one I've ever seriously looked at was the centre cockpit 35 and I walked away.. cheap alloys on steering gear corroding etc...
But worth the look if in easy travelling distance I guess...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 28-03-2010, 16:00   #79

i have heard also that coronados aren't the best choice for bluewater
jbosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 16:41   #80
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosborn View Post
Thanks for all the encouragement and advice! Please keep the posts coming if you have more to say. I will continue to follow this thread, start new ones, and read old ones. Thanks all!
I think your chances of going RTW have increased markedly simply by extending the time frame to several years (time to learn and a probably more enjoyable overall experiance means more likely to complete it) and by an increased budget (from working along the way, coupled with your own acquired knowledge to base your spending decisions on making things cheaper than now).

As you have already learnt, more than one way to skin a cat Just gotta find a way that works for you - in your shoes my plan would not be overly fixed long term - the only certainty in life is change, so keep your options open as much as possible.

As a Westerner and a US qualified teacher with a degree (I presume?) in decent subjects should have no problem finding legal work around the world, including in Asia / SEA - might not be a career path to long term financial riches (that translates back into the USA) but IMO the life skills you will acquire from simply wandering around the world / working foreign / sailing abroad will stand you in very good stead in whatever career / business you later get into........especially if you have an enquiring mind (aka being nosy ).

With decent proffessional qualifications in the bag IMO a couple of years or so in the career wilderness is neither here nor there. At 24 I was around 5 years into a banking career. Off the top of my head I can neither remember the name of the firm I was at nor exactly what I was doing - although I am sure it felt important at the time. or someone told me it was And no doubt I learnt "stuff" that was later useful workwise, but nothing that anyone with half a brain couldn't pick up in an afternoon .........but of course I ain't now CEO of Goldman Sachs (nor was I CEO of Lehmans ) - if only I had clung to that greasy pole...................

Life is the Voyage, a boat is just one means of transport - not the end in itself.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 17:24   #81
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Yeah David... but if you'd clung to the greasy pole... the six pack would be a keg, your ass would be flat, cholesteral/stress high, sense of humour low... first name Nasty, second name Bastard....and..
We would'nt be blessed with your fine physic, your dry humour and sagacious advice...
Have I earnt that $50 yet...??

Old 28-03-2010, 17:41   #82
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Have I earnt that $50 yet...??
Nah. more smoke, more smoke

(yeah, I had to Google Sagacious , sounded like some kinda sexual practice / lifestyle )
Old 28-03-2010, 18:47   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Jay... might be worth alook...
1965 Tartan 27 sailboat for sale in California
just noticed same boat Sausilito at 10k... ...?? take a friend who knows boats if you can...

Old 29-03-2010, 00:24   #84

All these out-of-town boats tempt me. The Tartan in Nor Cal looks more seaworthy than the Ericsons for sale here in So Cal. However, I can't take time off work to move the boat down here. I'm working till late June. Reading about boats is great and I won't stop doing that, but I'm itching to sail more (aside from my weekend sailing classes - not enough to quench my thirst). Hmm...

I may just buy one here now and then sell it to buy another one this summer or fall if I don't think the one I've got will take me where I want to go. I think the most important thing is to start sailing.
Old 29-03-2010, 00:38   #85

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Hey!

Maybe someone else already said this or something similar, I've only read the odd pages

Buy your boat and quit your job if that's what you want. Go sailing. Doing this, you've already taken a huge step. You'll immediately get the feeling of freedom, i.e. you have the option of going anywhere, even if you don't. Start out just coastal hopping, even the anchorage around the bend will bring a new horizon. Stay as long as you like wherever you like, then move on. Either you grow tired of it and return to land or you keep going. if you keep going you'll one day wake up on the far side of the world wondering how you got there.

You don't have to sail far to be cruising.

/Hampus
Old 29-03-2010, 01:36   #86

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
All these out-of-town boats tempt me. The Tartan in Nor Cal looks more seaworthy than the Ericsons for sale here in So Cal. However, I can't take time off work to move the boat down here. I'm working till late June. Reading about boats is great and I won't stop doing that, but I'm itching to sail more (aside from my weekend sailing classes - not enough to quench my thirst). Hmm...

I may just buy one here now and then sell it to buy another one this summer or fall if I don't think the one I've got will take me where I want to go. I think the most important thing is to start sailing.
Maybe buy a dinghy and start really getting a feel for the wind and waves and how it all works for now.

Your day will come sooner than you think. Perhaps a trailer sailer will make the next few years easier at work while you save a little bit more for your adventure!
Kordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 02:18   #87
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Seems like a reasonable plan, gets you in the game and gaining experiance, big difference between being crew and skipper - albeit valuable to get experiance as both.

Selling a boat though - a whole different can of worms One thing to bear in mind is the main reason that certain boats are cheap is that few want them.......great when buying (especially a 60's / 70's RTW capable small yacht), not so good when selling - it can be a question of not simply price but actually finding a buyer. Oh, and don't overcapitalise if buying and looking to sell - rarely will anything add value, simply make her easier to sell. Buying a "maybe" yacht for a later RTW may be the worst of all worlds from your position (your ideas and needs will change based on your own experiances) - I would go for something that folks like locally, which in your price bracket won't be RTW capable let alone ready......and something that does not require refurb (the odd repair, maybe) and ready to go........downside to all that will be size, upside will be resale ability (if you maintain her) - still won't make money though
Old 29-03-2010, 03:51   #88

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
jbosborn,

Take my advice, don't be like me. In 1974 I wanted to do what your attempting now. I got howled down and told I was crazy etc: My problem was I listened, and gave up. Then life got in the way, and that was that. I'm now into my 1st 3 months of cruising in 2010. I actually kept dreaming and now at 57 I'm out there.

Don't wait as long as I have.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 10:36   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Selling a boat though - a whole different can of worms One thing to bear in mind is the main reason that certain boats are cheap is that few want them.......great when buying (especially a 60's / 70's RTW capable small yacht), not so good when selling - it can be a question of not simply price but actually finding a buyer.
I agree. Finding a boat that you like and can afford is difficult enough without having to worry about selling one that you have outgrown.

If you are prepared to wait two or three years before leaving - which I think makes sense, as it would allow you to build experience and capital - then buying a trailer sailor makes lots of sense. But if you are determined to leave this year, I'd suggest staying clear of boats that you know to be unsuitable for your intended purpose.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 10:53   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svanen View Post
then buying a trailer sailor makes lots of sense.
I don't think a trailer sailor is an option for me, unless I ditch the trailer. I'd have to buy a truck, which would be the lesser of two problems. The other challenge being there is no where I can put a 25' boat plus truck where I live. My one bed-room apt. in So Cal doesn't come with a 35' parking space.

Tags
round the world