Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 14:44   #211

Boat: Glander Cay 23
Re: Challenge: Sail Around the World on $15k ?

I'm 23. I picked up a Bristol 24 for $1800. Yes she needed a bit of TLC, but I've been living aboard for a couple months now, and plan to cross the Atlantic next year. I've got some sailing experience in the Great Lakes and plan to get more this summer doing solo-sails and other cruises. I'd say go for it. Shop around though. I love my boat, but there have been a few deals that came along that make me wish I hadn't jumped into this boat so quickly. I've already spend $600 on new standing rigging, $1200 on sails, $250ish on varnish, paints, and other cosmetic stuff, $125 on anti fouling paint. $250 to get her launched. It's doable, but alocate your money wisely.
SPCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 00:11   #212

Hey jbosborn. Im 19 and from Michigan. Ive been planning to sail around the world for 3 years. I just recently moved down to Calabasas, CA. I've been taking a few sailing classes. Capt. Dan's Sailing School of the Channel Islands in Oxnard, CA
I first took a class threw this guy on craigslist. He asks for $30 and hour. Most trainers ask for $120+. My advice is to at least take one or two classes. the the instructor. that u need to learn at a advance level. prioritize your time. For instance have him/her take you out for 7 hours in a storm. Also look into getting donations. Ive looked into advertisement and fundraisers. theirs websites that will advertise a video of you and your goal. surprising the feed back is a miracle.
Im focused on seeing the world. So i will be taking my time port to port. Renting slips here and there. backpacking, exploring. working on the coast near my boat probably bartending. as long as you learn from your experience and take a piece of it with you. you'll see the world differently when you return.

Well good luck my friend, I hope you figure it out and return safely.
Kylethextreme49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:43   #213
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Congrats on your first post. But addressing it to someone who last posted in April 2010 probably wouldn't get much response.
Old 18-01-2015, 04:45   #214
Armchair Bucketeer

Just because something can be done does not mean it is likely nor is wise......for "you".

Boats is full of those choices!

For OP his plans are a great starting point. But only if kept in the realms of daydreams! We all start somewhere.

For cheap you need knowledge. Or luck. Lots and lots of luck.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 20:36   #215

Get an Alberg 30 or 35. There was one on NY Craig's list for 5k. Assume another 5k for refit and you have 5k left for fuel and food (that's a lot of rice and beans) also you could sale your car and other earthly possessions before you go and take a CC. You got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
D.C.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 21:56   #216

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

5k for the boat and 5k to refit? You don't sail much do you?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-04-2015, 06:20   #217

I refit for near 5k not long ago. Granted my boat was not 5k but rather 15k and had a near new diesel, standing and running rigging, decent sails and new auto helm. Seems possible for a man to purchase a 5k Alberg 30 and spend another 5k (assuming she's no dog and that she don't have to win any beauty contest and that our friend is willing to do much of the work and not have to rely on pricey marina labor)
Leaving 5k for provisions. As to your comment "you don't sail much" it is true I only sail half the year. But to my ear it sounds like you don't dream much.

D.C.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 09:31   #218

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

About 10-15 yr ago a CFer (hooligan) went around for under $10k to buy and outfit.

http://solantamity.com/Extraneous/MuggingsPlus.htm

Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:51   #219

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

I wonder what Webb Chiles spent on his open boat? The "hard way" but none the less, done!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 18:28   #220

Boat: Hunter 216, 21'

I live on my boat relatively inexpensively, then again i don't have an inboard motor, i light with kerosene not electric, and i don't stray to far from my home port of point place. I'd say go for it and buying a boat for 5k that's seaworthy is not out of the question i bought mine from a learn to sail program for 1k and it didn't need much in restoration, but i wouldn't suggest sailing around the world on a hunter 216 though.
kwf937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 03:57   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It can be done... rigging can be replaced with galvanised wire and mechanical fasteners when needed.. sails repaired by yourself, carry sailcloth, needles, waxed thread and palm, glass fibre, epoxy and polyester filler, wood plugs and some 12inch squares of ply for emergency repairs... some epoxy that cures underwater is also a must. Good set of hand tools, drill, saws etc..
Fresh greens/fruit are essential to keep healthy, grow bean sprouts in a bucket of water(use rainwater gathered in catcher), buy green banana's they ripen as you go, carry semi dried fruits and canned..
Also fish gets tedious so supplement now and then with soya mince with beef stock cubes.. makes a great chilli. Onions are great they last ages and are crammed full of vitamins, garlic is another long life and good for blood... for your rice boil with some turmeric 1/4 tspn.. another source of anti toxins and great for sorting out boil and sores.. just clean the area, sprinkle on and cover with band aid, dries it out and aids the healing. Chillies are strong in antibiotics so use the dried ones when fresh run out in your cooking.. adds a nice kick. Green bananas sliced into thin rounds and fried are delish snack food, Coriander grows easy and fast, tastes great so a small pot of earth is good to carry as well.
Alcohol is incredibly cheap in many places so occasional indulgence is cool.. just stock up where cheap and refrain where expensive... also a good sterilizer..
Store clothes and spare bedding in strong re-sealable ziplock type bags.. two clean spare sleeping bags sealed away are a must, they stash into awkward spaces easier leaving space for the less pliant gear... Drink tea at sea.. save your coffee for anchor.. you need to keep the bowels going and coffee is a blocker..
Varnish your eggs to make em last and store in the bilge.. or hard boil em and store in large plastic jars in vinegar..pickled eggs.... yummy. carry as much extra water as you can in 2 litre plastic coke bottles or whatever you get hold of.. that way if your tank pollutes you have a safe separate supply..
Phew... that's it for now... Over to the next guy...
Great stuff boatman. Gonna implement a bunch of your advise here in the tropics. Maybe I'll start w. growing some sprouts. Can't find them close to where I am at the moment.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:57   #222

Boat: Allied Princess

Watch the movie "Deep Water" and see if you're ready for that kind of trip. I'm not....yet.

Jm2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 22:12   #223

Boat: Pearson 281

Can be done. As boatman (and Toss) recommend, watch out for the shiny stuff. Plunge into the DIY, scrounging marina dumpsters , seek out gypsy scrappers (beware theives) the honest scrappers are the ones who are tolerated in old marinas and yards. Craigs list snd ebay can be your friends.
The moreb you learn about gear and materials the better you can judge home depot workarounds and what is worth buying new. I seldom buy old line for ground tackle for instance. Buy a boat in a size that is "supportable" over time. Will need to be comfortable with compromise/trade-offs. Refrigeration/ice box? Toilet/bucket? Engine/ yulo... on and on. Im older but have lived ans sailed w/o so called "luxuries" so f#@k a toilet , a fridge and when this engine goes I'll be fliat testing it BUT let me spend money on sails, good and various ground tackle ... choices, priorities that will let me go far on 850 per month blah blah blah not that I would kick a bunch of money and plenty of bells and whistles out of bed. Something like t. Lord let me get to sailing please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 20:28   #224

Boat: wharram tiki 26

I wonder if the O.P did go a sailing?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world