Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2008, 05:13   #16
cruiser

I don't know, Ronnie.

I might respectfully suggest that it is the "time travel" nature of the question that caused me to answer the way I did. David said we could "know everything we know now, but be 21 again." This means I understand life to the extent I do now for my answer. I'm not 21, but 21 with the mind of an old-timer.

The old-timer mind looks back and knows the girl is more important than the boat. Maybe this is where you are missing what I posted. If you could post again once you are older and have found one and I think you may have a different take.

My life story goes *exactly* like what you call the "worst possible thing", including taking a girl from Manhattan who was a model/Miss Teen NY/tv commercial appearing type and saying, "let's go live on a boat, cruise when we can pay the boat off, etc..." Now, the dream is as strong if not stronger for her than it is for me (she is into the more exotic destinations). After that path, here she is doing some morning chores on our old boat (see attached pic)

Oh yeah... and she was 21 when we married (I was older though).

No sign of a divorce yet, and we're 5 years running, been together for 7.

Lastly, there are indeed some problems that can arise by living on a boat solo before finding the girl:

1) The girl won't be able to move into your 27' boat.

2) The girl may be skeeved out by your boat lifestyle because it's all she has ever seen you do and doesn't know if you're capable of being responsible/solid for her.

3) Contrary to popular belief, "boats don't get you chicks"

4) Living on a boat isolates you from meeting girls compared to land life, narrowing your chances

5) If you live on a boat first, it may seem to her like it's your dream and she's joining you.

6) It may always seem like "your boat" and not hers.

So yeah... I'm pretty passionate about this stuff... but don't mean anything negative toward you about it.

I respect your opinion, but had to add in what has actually happened to me since it was indeed the "worst case scenario", but I lived through it.

Ex-Calif: Definitely agree. Large expensive weddings are a huge waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniesimpson View Post
trying to find a girl, and then figuring out the sailing part is the worst idea possible. start sailing, and the girl part will sort itself out. the WORST thing you could do is to find the girl, and be living a traditional land life, and then be like "ok, were going cruising now." it takes a special girl to live on a small boat, take solar showers on deck, spend days (or weeks, or months) at sea. With that said, your relationship should be in a cruising environment/ lifestyle from day 1. whatever you do, don't marry her. 21 year olds (or 23 year olds for that matter) aren't meant to get married. That's what your 30's are for. every single friend i had that got married under 25 either got a divorce, or regrets the hell out of it. EVERY SINGLE ONE. and the ones that say they are super happy got fat and live a really lame life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aloft.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	4889  
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 10:59   #17

I more or less agree with Sully.

When I was 28 I got divorced and bought a 27 foot sailboat for $4,000. Aunt Tilly didn’t help and the cruising kitty was just large enough to let me goof off and sail around New England for the summer. I thought about chucking it all and just heading south for the Bahamas, but I didn’t have the nerve and I really regret that.

In my 20s I thought camping was great fun and my "yacht" was paradise. She had an ice box that would hold a 6 pack of beer, a dozen eggs, a pound of bacon, and maybe some hamburger patties. She had a clunky toilet that usually worked, nice foot pump water that only tasted a little funny, a Coleman style camp stove, a cold water shower, and a nice V berth and a washable sleeping bag. I met some girls who really liked sailing and doing other things on her, but I think they were kind of horrified about the idea of living on her.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:59   #18

Boat: Leopard 46, The Selkirk Grace
Engage Brain!

Quote:

i bought my boat, and have been outfitting it, repairing it, upgrading it, etc, for the past 5 months, with an intended departure date of Oct 1, headed for Hawaii, and then south. if you are 21, and have 30 G's, I say go for it!!! I quit my job, dropped out of college as a senior, and left my old life behind. nutting up and welcoming change, rather than fearing it was the best thing that I have ever done. Even if I sink the boat/ run out of money/ fail at the whole documentary thing, whatever, this has been the most rewarding experience of my life. absolute and complete freedom is what i have experienced for the past 5 months, and i can not go back.
The case says " and you have all the knowledge that you now have and not just what you had when you were 21...."

I would have finished the college while I was scouting and learning about boats, navigation, radios and the great art of boat repair. Having the certain knowledge that if something went wrong I would have an INCREDIBLE interview story. It would clearly set me aside as a stand out and keep me in $$$ if I needed it. On top of all of that, chicks dig it!

If you think the 21 year old mind is right, then read the diary of a sailor on a boat delivery. This guy had way more prep than you ever thought possible and one heck of a lot bigger budget. Robb's log is at:
Tritons at sea

And why would you choose Hawaii to start with? Reaching Hawaii is a huge undertaking in a small boat. Read all of the logs from the TransPac. What are you thinking? Oh girls...? They are everywhere my friend. Hawaii is not the only place.
SelkirkWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:48   #19
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I can't answer it because, at age 21, I was far too ambitious to settle for taking off on a 30K budget, including the boat. Everyone is different, of course, but for me I do not really regret spending the next 30 years getting educated, paying off student loans, establishing a career, raising and educating a son while slowly developing sailing, navigation and boat maintenance experience. I am now financially able to completely pack it, go sailing on a much more comfortable boat without worrying about maintenance costs, excursions/meals ashore and I have a great little beachfront property in the caribbean. AND barring a HUGE disaster, I should not have to worry about money for the rest of my life.

While one can never say with certainty where any other road would have led, I suspect that taking off at age 21 on someone else's money would have changed my life completely - and not necessarily for the better. Firstly, I enjoyed the struggle that was required to buy and fix up my first boats; or at least, it made me enjoy and respect them more. Secondly, I fear that the 'couple of years' would have led to a couple more, and then a couple more, and I would now find myself in my mid-fifties and worrying about the future.

As to finding the 'right' girl first - sorry Sean, but I'm not with you. You would be just as apt (and perhaps more apt) to find the right girl once you are out cruising, than by trying to score them through maintaining a lifestyle you intend to abandon. In terms of career and vocations I have never done anything for the purpose of meeting, or impressing chicks (at least, not since high school).

Can I live without a woman? Not for very long, I'll admit. It is and I suspect, will always be a weakness for me as well. But I have also never let a woman interfere with my doing something that was of critical importance to me. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've always found that if you lead your life the way you want to lead it, woman who are attracted to that lifestyle (and hopefully to you) will find their way into your life.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:17   #20
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
OK, I take it all back. If I had been lucky enough to inherit 30K when I was 21 I could have either:

1. Bought my first house (and they were still great investments then), rented out rooms to other students to cover the mortgage and I would probably have been able to retire 5 years earlier than now! Or,

2. Bought a cheap boat, kept a little cruising kitty and gone off for adventure. I am sure I would have found some great female companions along the way and, as to now? Well, I'd probably not have to worry about the future because I would likely now be dead (or close to) from a life of excess combined with privation.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:27   #21

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Well, lets say she left you USD30k
$30,000?! Damn her eyes! Aunt Thelma was worth half a million at least, and I was her only nephew!
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:42   #22
Kai Nui

If I knew then, what I know now...

I would point the boat west, and just keep going. I would allocate that money to essentials, and work along the way for party money. I would spend my idle time writing the book I have been talking about writing for longer than I like to admit.
No wife, no kids, no property.
High latitude sailing would be on the agenda.
All of the stuff I have accumulated over the years pales in comparison to the experiences I have had. I would gladly give up all that stuff. Even now. Time is short. Being able to go back, and have time to have all the esperiences that I won't have now due to age, health and time would be the ultimate experience. Someone once said, youth is wasted on the young. I agree. I ha an idea of what I wanted then, and it worked out OK. Conventional wisdom says I have led an exciting life, but I know now that there are experiences that I missed out on that I will not get another chance at.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have left at 18, and never looked back.

Here is the boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4368.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	5045  
Old 12-09-2008, 20:05   #23

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
Kai Nui, you obviously understand who I am and what I am doing. As for everyone else, I didn't mean to offend anyone when I referred to "worst case scenarios", I was just stating my own personal worst case scenario. Every single one of us is unique and has a different path that our lives will follow. What works for some doesn't work for others. Me personally, I want to sail around the world, as a single 23 year old guy, and see what happens.

As for the people that were giving me words of caution before single-handing to Hawaii:

Thank you. It really does mean alot to me that a stranger would take the time to write an emotion-driven post advising me to take crew, wait, not go, etc. Your words of wisdom do not fall on deaf ears. I acknowledge that I am incredibly inexperienced, but I think I can do this. And for some reason, I feel very strongly about doing it single-handed. (At least to Hawaii, anyways) A friend of mine summed it up as "keep the heavy side down, keep the water on the outside, don't run into stuff, and reef early". That's pretty much my plan, to be honest. My boat is a veteran cruising boat, and I am sure that it is up to the task of crossing oceans, even with me at the helm, alone. I know that I don't truly know what i'm up against, but I am used to identifying and solving problems as they occur, and this is the mindset that I am taking with me. Yes, i'm sure stuff will break. And i'll fix it to the best of my abilities. People always give me these hypotheticals like "what are you going to do when you're in a hurricane and a sperm whale rams a whole in your boat, you're dismasted, your boat explodes, and you get shot by a stray bullet from a Pirate's AK-47 and your comm is down, all at the same time?" Let me answer that question with a question. "what are you going to do when a drunk driver t-bones you at 60 mph? What are you going to do when an overtired trucker falls asleep and doesn't stop and just runs you over from behind while you're doing the daily commute to work?" Stuff happens in life. Sometimes you're meant to die. If that's what happens, that's what happens. I am trying my hardest to plan for the worst, and be ready for it. I know that to many of you, I sound like an arrogant, stubborn young kid with no respect for his eleders' opinions, and to some extent I would say that is accurate, but in reality I think that I am just very driven and focused on what I want to do at this point in my life. I am not cocky, I do not think this will be an easy trip, given my lack of experience and being alone, but I truly believe that I can do anything that I truly set my mind to. Every single day that I am above ground seems like a bonus to me. I think about the fact that I pretty much got blown up by an RPG and I should be dead. Then I look at what I am attempting to do with my life right now, and just smile.

I am still planning to leave San Diego, solo, on Oct. 1 for Hawaii. and then head south.
Old 12-09-2008, 21:27   #24

Stepping up to life!

Quote:
I think about the fact that I pretty much got blown up by an RPG and I should be dead. Then I look at what I am attempting to do with my life right now, and just smile.

I am still planning to leave San Diego, solo, on Oct. 1 for Hawaii. and then head south.
Ron,
While I truly mean and meant what I said in the case, you have now changed the data set. If you are trying to find yourself in life and you feel called to do it on a sailboat, I say "Good on you." While I would have sailed down the coast of North America, then out to Tahiti and if I felt I had to, maybe up to Hawaii following in the tracks of other prudent sailors, perhaps you have decided to set prudence aside. I respect you for that.
May you have fairwinds and come to find yourself along the way. If you can repair your own boat, you can repair the boats of others and there is money and satisfaction in that. One (of several things) I would recommend is to keep a blog. Let other people know what you are doing and experiencing. Look for help from the friends you meet along the way, and friends that find you through your writing.

Good Sailing!
Old 13-09-2008, 01:44   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
To Ronnie's eloquent words, let me add:
There's little challenge in attempting the easier things, and often as little reward in accomplishing them.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 02:02   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

This thread has developed in unexpected and interesting ways Kinda why I left it alone to develop without my usual 27 cents worth

Quote:
Me personally, I want to sail around the world, as a single 23 year old guy, and see what happens.
Easy for me to say "Go for it!" or "Don't do it!".....but I figure only you know whether you can and events will prove one way or another. You sound like you have a good grasp on your (Donald Rumsfeld style ) unknowns - but you may in reality be a completely deluded f#ckwit (no offence ) who manages to get far enough along your learning curve from pure gold plated luck or you may be 120% prepared and experianced and fail in your ambitions simply due to good old fashioned bad luck.......life is like that - only way to find out whether you will suceed is trying. In any event, IMO changing to a Plan B is never a failure - it's just another route to one's destination.......whatever that may be - the big destination is usually in one's head.......

Bon voyage - and be informative to read how the voyage(s) go.

On a seperate issue, I suspect that I should have added to my original scenario - "also pretend you have an imagination and a sense of adventure"
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 04:53   #27

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous cat View Post
And away we go!
Navigation: Previous Boat | Next Boat

Click on image to enlarge 39' Lindsey Globemaster Motor Sailor FINAL PRICE REDUCTION
  • Year: 1972
  • Current Price: US$ 10,000
  • Located In Palm City, FL
  • Hull Material: Fiberglass
  • Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel
  • YW# 66791-1745166
  • Sale Pending
I had a survey done on this boat last year. Well let me rephrase that, the surveyor called me after about half an hour and left the boat. Enough said. No fixer uppers for this thread.
Old 16-09-2008, 17:43   #28

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Quote:
Ronnie,

If anyone can do it, you can. I wish you would wait to leave until mid-October, so that Matt and I can say a proper goodbye, but we will try to return to the marina before you leave....and if not, then we will track your progress via your website and I am sure we will meet again somewhere in the South Pacific.

Follow your dreams and do not let ANYONE stand in the way.

- Michael

(Slip E-32, right across from you.)
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 21:46   #29

I am 21 and seriously considering the purchase of a sailboat after I finish school (Biology Major, Spanish Minor, 1.5yrs left) to do long extensive travels in.

My grandparents lived in the Caribbean and I've sailed with my grandfather when I was younger, but this was years ago and I don't know how to properly manage a boat. My grandmother is left alone and is now real sickly herself. I mentioned I planned to go backpack Central-South America for a year+ and she thinks I should just purchase a boat. I have a handful of cousins/uncles/aunts that island hopped after school, mostly by working in bars and hitching rides. My family seems to think it would be perfect for me. I would also likely have the money via work and inheritance.

I'm a loner by nature, so I would definitely not want a woman around all the time. I'm finishing school (pre-med) but I really don't have much ambition to jump into anything right away...if at all. I really don't know if I have the mentality for a mundane 9-5.. I would like some kind of small coastal liveaboard I could single hand. Does anyone have good links on where to begin? I plan on taking courses and probably weekend renting to find out if I can handle it ofcourse. I would have close to 2 years to prepare. But really any advice is useful and greatly appreciated. Perhaps I'm young, nieve, and have no idea what I'm getting into...? I have enjoyed lurking these forums for awhile now and am amazed at all the collective experience it has!

Ronnie,
That's totally awesome dude. You seem like a solid guy. I'm digging the website and I'll definitely be keeping up with it. I wish you each the best of luck in your travels.
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 07:53   #30

Going to the Carib Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post
I am 21 and seriously considering the purchase of a sailboat after I finish school (Biology Major, Spanish Minor, 1.5yrs left) to do long extensive travels in.

My grandparents lived in the Caribbean and I've sailed with my grandfather when I was younger, but this was years ago and I don't know how to properly manage a boat. My grandmother is left alone and is now real sickly herself. I mentioned I planned to go backpack Central-South America for a year+ and she thinks I should just purchase a boat. I have a handful of cousins/uncles/aunts that island hopped after school, mostly by working in bars and hitching rides. My family seems to think it would be perfect for me. I would also likely have the money via work and inheritance.

I'm a loner by nature, so I would definitely not want a woman around all the time. I'm finishing school (pre-med) but I really don't have much ambition to jump into anything right away...if at all. I really don't know if I have the mentality for a mundane 9-5.. I would like some kind of small coastal liveaboard I could single hand. Does anyone have good links on where to begin? I plan on taking courses and probably weekend renting to find out if I can handle it of course. I would have close to 2 years to prepare.
Well, being that this was supposed to be a hypothetical case and we are on the second "real" case, ........

Your post does not say where you are, so I am going to assume, until you say otherwise, that you live somewhere where boats are available. Here is my short plan:

Sailing stuff:
-get into a good sailing course (ASA or other) learn the basics
-get on as many boats as you can, does your school or anyone nearby have a sailing club? Can you get on a race team or just get sailing time?
-you have lurked this site, so you know many of the issue other guys have faced. Read the posts on small boats. I am a Cat person, but for single handing a 30 ft monohull is probably the easiest and most affordable, (though slow).
-buy a boat and start outfitting her. Once you have had some navigation lessons, you will know what you need.
-you are working on your Espaniol, Muy Bien! This well help in Puerto Rico, and all along the ABC's and South and Latin America. If your Spanish is good enough you can get employment in a boat yard and know boats in and out if you are so inclined (8-5 drudgery and employment laws may make this hard).

Not related to sailing.
-Keep a log book or blog and record the "highs and lows" (this experience will help later on when you feel it is time to go on in your education, particularly med-school if you feel so inclined.) As I have said before, differentiation HELPS.
-start planning a very general route as a function of when you would leave and where you would be for each areas hurricane season. You may not follow it, but at least you will have the knowledge.
-get your passport, shots and when you have completed the last step, a VISA or two if needed.

I am sure everyone will have opinions on the right boat and there are already reams of data here and on Sailnet.

Fair Winds and Bright Stars!

Tags
anchor