Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 14:41   #46
Old Salts

I just sent an email with the photo from the original ad to 11 San Diego marine surveyors asking for help identifying the builder.

Am thinking it may be a Birchminster 27', which is another mystery boat because there's virtually nothing on them or the company.

Birchminster Marine Corp was based in CA and filed a bancrupcy appeal in 1982. That time frame and location fits, but there are no details on the law suit beyond the fact that it took place.
Old 11-06-2009, 15:01   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobola View Post
I just sent an email with the photo from the original ad to 11 San Diego marine surveyors asking for help identifying the builder.

Am thinking it may be a Birchminster 27', which is another mystery boat because there's virtually nothing on them or the company.

Birchminster Marine Corp was based in CA and filed a bancrupcy appeal in 1982. That time frame and location fits, but there are no details on the law suit beyond the fact that it took place.
Have you checked the Birchminster 27 sail logo? It's completely different from what you have.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 15:27   #48
Old Salts

I have, but since the logo on the main sail and the emblem on the side of the hull don't match...that brings up even more questions.

The hull was built in 78, based on the MIC, but the title says the year is 83. I'm guessing that when the late owner saw the hull he had it fitted out in rapid fashion, because money was not an issue, and he was an avid sailor.

So, the discrepency of the MIC date and the title date might indicate the hull changed hands and a new builder finished it, which would fit right into the Birchminster banckrupcy lawsuit time frame. And a new hull owner wouldn't use the emblems of the bankrupt original builder because they need to sell the boat......so they make up something......to get it out the door.......

My money is on the Coast Guard to come up with the answer on the builder.

As for the mystery emblems, who knows?
Old 11-06-2009, 15:37   #49

Boat: 36' custom steel
Some google searches on Birchminster:

Hi everyone, it has been awhile since i have been here. I have finaly gotten off my duff and wrote down the Hull # for my cm26. It says made in mexico, BTG 26 0001M78J. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone. Happy sailing!!!
Hull #

Hi Dwayne,
You may have a unique boat there, in some respects...what follows is somewhat speculative, but, hey, I'm trying.
You didn't say whether the HIN you reported came from the hull itself or from some paperwork, but, assuming it's accurate, you would appear to have a post-Clipper Marine CM26, again, assuming that it's actually a CM26 that you have.
BTG appears to have been a short-lived boat producer based in Santa Ana, just as Clipper Marine was. The company was called Birchminster Marine, and was in business from 4/1978 to 9/1980. The number indicates that yours could be hull number 1 from BTG. The datestamp is either May or October, 1978, which is probably at least a year after Clipper Marine ceased operations.
We know that Clipper had an operation in Mexico, so if there is reason to believe that your boat was built there, it seems reasonable to guess that BTG made an attempt to revive the Mexico plant. That's all I know (or can guess about) at this point. Thanks for supplying that information,

This is a whole new wrinkle (pic)

The picture in the link looks nothing like Bob's boat. Well, the hull kind of does, but up from there, no way. But i think that's Greg's boat in Seatle, not Dwayne's boat.

I think somebody in Mexico got a hold of Clipper Marine's molds, put on a different top but used the hull mold. That might explain a hull number that doesn't read right. Or something like that.
Old 11-06-2009, 15:52   #50
Old Salts

This is interesting. I took a second look at the photo on the stern and it looks like the the area just under the MIC was covered over.

If my hunch is right, then the second owner of the hull put their own code above it.

If that filled in area was carefully scraped off, would I find my answer..???

Hmmmm.......

Old 11-06-2009, 16:05   #51

The Clipper Marine Company, was founded originally in Sausalito, Ca. Their goal being to build trailerable 'glass boats.In so doing, they were the first to use the swing keel in a small boat. The boats were all designed by W.I.B Crealock who has been a long time associate of Pacific Seacraft. The first dozen or so boats were all 21's, with cast iron keels. As soon as the production got rolling in '72 or '73, the assembly line was moved the down to Santa Ana. The plans then were redrawn, and soon a bilge keel 23 was being produced. This was one of the first of the Clippers to use high-performance NACA foils, and it is supposedly a good performer. The 26 MK I with a doghouse, and later the MK II flush deck were enlargements of the original plans for the 21. These were all pretty good sellers and so the decision was made to produce a 30 and a 32 with an optional ketch rig. The 30 and the 32 were built heavier than the preceding models. The mast is beefier with about a 25% greater cross section and thicker walls. The hull and deck are a full 1/2 inch thick. The hull is 1/2 inch hand laid glass and the deck is 1/4 inch glass over 1/4 inch fir plywood with another 1/4 inch of hand laid glass below. Fibre glass construction was in its infancy in 1975 and so not knowing for sure it's ultimate strength, they built it hell for stout. In 75 the 30 had the engine well forward in the cockpit just behind the main sheet traveler with only lower cabin windows and no forward hatch in the main cabin. The later models in 76 had the upper windows and the 2nd hatch just aft of the head as in the 32. The rig on the 26 and 30 is nearly identical, the 30 having a six inch higher mast and more sail area. They added two feet to the 30, a mizzen and an aft cabin to make the the 32. The 32 was the largest trailerable boat produced up until that time. Meanwhile, they started also producing more of a raceing type in the 1/4 tonner ( a 26 footer with a high aspect fixed fin keel, and a cutter rig) It has some of the sweetest lines for a Clipper that Crealock designed. And with so many sail options One would be hard pressed to find storage if they were all on board at the same time. Also a couple of other 24 and 26 foot designs all based on the original 21 hull design. And Crealock was involved in the redesign of each one. After this the company started to slide downhill. But in about 1976 there was decision made to produce a 37 foot spartan, capable but still economical blue-water cruiser type boat, and Crealock commenced a completely new design. The drawings were completed, and a hull mold was started. But the owner and CEO rode off into the sunset one night with the company bankroll, and the company filed bankruptcy. The mold for the 37 and the drawings were returned to Crealock, and after making some minor design changes, the first of the Crealock 37,s were produced Cruising Consultants who subcontracted their work out and then later by Pacific Seacraft. And from then on they have been one of the most sought after sub 40-foot cruising boats.

history

By my count that is four 26 footers. And I don't think we know what all four of them looked like. Bob, have you measured the actual LOD of your boat?

Could one of the molds ended up in somebody's hands after CM banko and, voila, Bob has one of those?
Old 11-06-2009, 16:07   #52

Go for it, Bob.

Under the filled in area it says, "Made in Korea." LOL
Old 12-06-2009, 08:25   #53
Old Salts

A surveyor in San Diego responded to my email and suggested that the BT6 is actually BTG, which makes this a Birchminster.

I tend to agree with him. Problem is I can't find a photo of a Birchminster 27' to verify this.

Maybe the person in the factory who was creating the HIN's used a 6 instead of a G, because they didn't have a G, or got them confused...??

The timeframe of the build and Birchminster's demise fits.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:59   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See the Birchminster 27 sail logo
http://www.msogphotosite.com/MSOG/pdfpage/mslogo.pdf
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 07:58   #55
Old Salts

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in so many weeks.

Well, the boat, 15 hp outboard and now the trailer are now all legal and titled in my name.

The trailer was probably built in the early 80's, and seems to have never been titled or registered. It passed inspection and was titled the next day by the good folks at a Missouri DMV office - a major accomplishment..!!..woo...hoo...

The space for it is cleared and ready (next to a big metal building on a friend’s property near me) and the move will be this weekend.

Am thinking of completely removing the galley (on the port side) and making that area a quarter berth, to match the quarter berth on the stbd side. May install the sink and build a shelf unit just forward of the new quarter berth…we’ll see.

Was amazed that the 4 tires were pumped up to 35lbs and worked perfectly for the trip to the HWY patrol for inspection, and then back to the sellers place, having sat for 8 years.

I've decided the boat was built by Birchminster, unless I find some proof otherwise...still a bit of a mystery.

The work begins…………

Old 29-07-2009, 15:54   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobola View Post

I've decided the boat was built by Birchminster
LOL. And who among us can say it isn't a Birchminster?

Mystery builder; mystery boat. Sounds like a good match to me.
Old 17-08-2009, 09:55   #57
Old Salts

Moved the boat to its restoration location this past Saturday.
Borrowed a Ford F250 with a V10 motor for the move.
Connected the trailer to the truck and plugged in the wiring connector and all the lights worked, after rapping my knuckles on one of them. Amazing, considering this thing sat for the past 8 years.
And none of the 4 tires needs replacing.
Lady luck is smiling on me………
Old 17-08-2009, 09:59   #58

"Lady luck is smiling on me………"

Indeed!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crealock