Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 08:56   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: "Must have" safety equipment

Dual primary fuel filters so you can switch over from an obstructed one to a clean one.
Good horn.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 08:59   #17

A good dink, dont tow it! Most of your trip down is a lee shore so if you end up in the dink you should end up on land eventually. (have an epirb!)
I found Radar one of the most useful investments I've ever made. Dont rely on someone to see you, be on offense... see them first! Especially those Mexican ferries in the Sea at night!
As said, two good sized anchors, preferably a third lightweight one too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 09:07   #18

Boat: C&C Newport 41

idk if this qualifies as safety equipment or not but a good idea...

if you are sailing with companions who are a) not familiar with your boat or b) not as experienced as you;

isolate and mark lines and then agree to terminology (reefing means 'this, which means you do this then that then this then that). ideally you can say 'the white and green line' and not 'no, the other white line... not that one the other other white line... nope 2 to the left of that white line'. get a label maker or something and put labels where they make sense.

my other suggesting is to make sure you have the correct equipment in the correct place. scampering back to the cockpit to get a winch handle after going forward to reef the main only to find yourself handle less (while heeled over a a bazillion degrees) is never a good thing.

oh yeah... extra winch handles... those bastards go overboard like a puppy seeing a cat on dock!

-s
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 09:20   #19

Re: 'Must Have' Safety Equipment

Condoms. You know... Just in case.
Old 14-09-2011, 10:53   #20

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
When thinking about safety we ask two questions about each item/choice.

1. Will this item assist us to
a) save ourselves when the **** is hitting the fan,
b) prevent the **** from hitting the fan in the first place, or
c) request outside help to clean up all the ****.

2. Is it a "black box" type device which I cannot check regularly (ideally daily or weekly)?

Perfect safety items will answer A/B to question 1 and NO to question 2. Examples would be excellent anchoring systems, auxiliary rudder on a wind vane, rigid unsinkable sailing dinghy stocked with water and food on passage, multiple watertight compartments, bilge pumps, good tools, etc. We have all of these except the auxiliary rudder (but our cat has 2 rudders that can operate independently).

What we consider to be poor devices will answer C to question 1 and YES to question 2. Examples are epirbs and life rafts (a liferaft is conceptually still a C answer to Q1 because you still won't get back to shore by yourself and will need outside help). We do not carry them. We do not want our lives to EVER depend on a black box type device and this is a philosophical line drawn in the sand. (We are reluctant to request that others risk their lives to save our miserable skins, but that is another kettle of fish.)

Devices in the middle ground include a SPOT messenger, SSB radio, sat phone (you can check it's use daily BUT you are requesting outside help and not being self sufficient). We have these in case of medical emergencies and the SPOT is configured to say medical emergency, so we won't be tempted to use it in a dismasting, flip or similar storm problem. We must fight to save our boat if needed.

The authorities do not focus their requirements on anchors, rigging size, bilge pumps, appropriate tools, etc but on ways you can "ring them for help" such as epirb, radio, flares. Wrong focus.

Let 'er rip!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 13:22   #21

Re: 'Must Have' Safety Equipment

I'm a new here. I think all possible safety equipment must have in every trip.

But
@Jimbo485

I think is the most important equipment must have. Thanks for the tips.
ssagurit22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, safety, safety equipment