Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2010, 19:09   #46

I've often thought it would be great to have some reasonably decent counterfeit currency onboard. Then when the thieves went to a bank to change it into something usable locally, hopefully they'd be nabbed and I'd get some justice! Same with fake credit cards, fake jewellry etc.

Cheers.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 19:28   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Interesting idea, however it probably only really protects the next victims...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 19:44   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
surely they are not the next victims if they have been protected?
kharma my friend
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 21:35   #49

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Ther is only one thing............Stink bombs.......the more stink the better........Stink Stink Stink.......gagging and ralphing........then more.....a cloud of noxious....well Stink!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 22:03   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
forget stink bombs try pure ammonia,will knock some one on the recieving end flat on their back,even better when administered by a water pistol or in eye drop contaner for concelement.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 04:33   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica View Post
I doubt a swimmer would be visible on the radar.
That's what I got from the "big three" as well.

Thanks for the heads up on JRC. I'll check them out.
billgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 04:51   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Power draw would be a pretty big consideration.
What do you figure, 20 to 50 watts @ 12 V ?
Old 16-12-2010, 14:05   #53

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
What do you figure, 20 to 50 watts @ 12 V ?

Dunno.

Don't have one.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 15:19   #54

Boat: Irwin Citation
Stay looking over your shoulder, be vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Please no more posts on guns. Let's keep it on what the OP requested- Other ways to prevent theft and invasion.
Thanks.

This blows away my whole post I was going to write entitled, "Kill... kill... kill them all." Vigilance and resourcefulness are key; Potential thieves do not like a hard target and I like being prepared for any given event.

A previous post noted use of wasp spray though, so if you have an aversion to firearms or are transiting areas that firearms are an issue it's better to be safe than sorry. There is another product on the market that is a "gel type" marine grade pepper spray that is effective to about 25ft. and has a relatively solid stream so you are less likely to have it blow back at you in winds.

Lots of petty thieves go with crimes of opportunity and if they believe you to be vigilant and perhaps watching for such activity this will often deter them. If it doesn't, then you needed to read that post that I apparently will never be able to post here entitled, "Kill... kill... kill them all"
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 18:44   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Please no more posts on guns. Let's keep it on what the OP requested- Other ways to prevent theft and invasion.
Thanks.
I didn’t see anything in DOJ’s opening post to suggest there couldn’t be discussion of the final option, he did say he doesn’t want this to deteriorate into a “gun thread”.

While I’m not only an advocate of being prepared to use deadly force in theory, I’ve been in the position of actually having to take that action more than once. I also carry a pistol and I’m a firearms instructor.

Having been faced with making the final decision on a person’s life, even if they are a scumbag; the though that always comes to mind once the threat is over is, what else could I have done?

I don’t want this to deteriorate into a “gun thread” either.

I think anyone who isn’t trained in the use of deadly force should never consider carrying firearms. This is not just learning how to shoot a gun, but understanding the distress, consequences and responsibilities of implementing this option. When I read posts about shooting innocent kids or burglars, I know I’m reading the thoughts of someone who has no idea how to identify, let alone manage a life-threatening event.

The best defense is awareness. If you just have to be in a place where there’s a potential for danger, you have to raise your awareness level. The best description of this is Jeff Cooper’s Color Code. If you’re one of those who believes you can go through life and never be assaulted, don’t bother with it (and good luck). If you think this is something of interest, just Google it, it’s on hundreds if not thousands of pages.

I’d like to use awareness and being prepared as the first building block in this discussion. The use of deadly force is the last. They’re are many things we can do before we get to the last level. Let’s discuss these.

Oh, and by the way, all spray repellents have to be used at very close range. Bug spray is worthless (ever see a cop carrying this stuff ?). If it gets that close, I don’t want to risk the lives of myself, family, or crew on something that unpredictable. The threat has closed the distance too much at that point.
Old 19-12-2010, 11:20   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker4142 View Post
I’m sorta surprised no one has talked about wasp or hornet spry. It will ruin their day and it has about 20 ft of spray. Better than pepper spray legal and easy to use
Wasp spray for self defense is a bad idea. Stick with the Pepper Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on humans. Wasp Spray will NOT work on those who cannot feel pain i.e. drugs or alcohol. Pepper Spray is an inflammatory which will cause the eyes to slam shut no matter the situation. That’s why over 40,000 law enforcement agencies carry it nationwide and even the smallest canisters will fire 10 ft while the larger will canisters will fire 25 to 30 ft.
mike2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 11:22   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker4142 View Post
I’m sorta surprised no one has talked about wasp or hornet spry. It will ruin their day and it has about 20 ft of spray. Better than pepper spray legal and easy to use

Also, wasp spray is NOT legal to use for self defense. Read the can: "It’s a violation of federal law to use in any manner inconsistent with this label."
mike2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 12:03   #58

Boat: 40ft Morgan Sloop - Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
I think anyone who isn’t trained in the use of deadly force should never consider carrying firearms. This is not just learning how to shoot a gun, but understanding the distress, consequences and responsibilities of implementing this option. When I read posts about shooting innocent kids or burglars, I know I’m reading the thoughts of someone who has no idea how to identify, let alone manage a life-threatening event.
I completely agree. Then you got all these "handgun-school" license holders carrying to be "responsible" in a life or death situation. It's a tough ballot to cast.

Pepper spray and the reappropriation of the flare gun is my preferred method of engaging pirates...oh yeah, and an early warning from a shotgun if at all possible.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:20   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Well.... there's always the Taliban costume with a dummy bomb vest strapped on top.... as they get close leap into the cockit screaming 'ALLAH HO AKBAR" and waving a cell phone...
That should make em think twice....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 13:21   #60

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Somebody isn't being serious.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funny, piracy