Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 13:02   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Challenge: How Much Extra Fuel and Water Do You Carry on Deck, or Below Decks ?

With just under 14 months to go before departing on my 5-7 year world cruise, I am trying to think of everything I can.

While I have a smaller boat, she is built to go far, so I have large tankage. But an extra 5 gals of fuel is priceless when you need 5 more gals to get in.

I hold nearly 80 gals of water, and will have a water maker. But I will also be carrying at least 5-10 gal of water under the V-berth in 1 gal jugs, mainly used for emerginces, and I will change out the water every few months to keep it fresh. NOTE- Be sure to get the kind of 1 gal water jugs with the milk style screw on lids, not the pop off lids.

So I think I got water covered, but I will also carry two camping style folding clear 5 gal water jugs if I need to lug water from and island. $10 each from Wal-Mart, and take up almost no space.

I want to carry 5-10 gals of extra fuel incase I have a fuel tank or fuel line falure. Also in some islands it is easyer/cheaper to fuel up with the dingy and tranfer fuel.

So now that space is always a premium, where to put 5-10 gals of extra fuel jugs? I think I will make a mount in the lazzerate under my tiller. Out of sight, easy to get to, easy to secure. Diesel below decks has almost no issues compared to gas. And the laz is basically part of the engine room on a Westsail anyways.

But I want to hear from those of you true salty hard core cruisers who say extra fuel jugs on deck is a waste and not needed. Please, tell me why?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 13:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: How much extra fuel and water do you carry on deck? Or below decks?

Think about people that dont even have an engine...sailboat...rowing oars would better serve you from what I have been told...search google under Atom sailboat..he gives a good explanation as to why not needed..I too would rather have an engine and extra fuel....DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 13:18   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Roads View Post

So I think I got water covered, but I will also carry two camping style folding clear 5 gal water jugs if I need to lug water from and island. $10 each from Wal-Mart, and take up almost no space.

If you've ever lugged water you will know that these collapsible jugs are nearly useless. Very difficult to fill and hell on the hands if you have to carry them more than two yards. Get the hard blue jerry jugs. I know you're worried about space but they are light and you can leave them in your bunk if you have to. Might be real cozy. As for fuel jugs, can you keep them in the cockpit ?
Old 10-11-2011, 13:26   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

I lash my fuel jugs to the mast. There is a good place on my boat that is out of the way. If you had mounts made for them there it would be even better. I think it is great to have absolutely nothing on the deck but sometimes it is inevitable to have something on the deck. If your deck gets swept or your mast goes down that five or ten galons of fuel can mean alot.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 16:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: How Much Extra Fuel and Water Do You Carry on Deck, or Below Decks ?

I would keep at least one 5 gallon jug ...... and enough fuel line to run into it, in the event you get contamination of your main supply. Enough to get through the reef and dock.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 17:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Much Extra Fuel and Water Do You Carry on Deck, or Below Decks ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I would keep at least one 5 gallon jug ...... and enough fuel line to run into it, in the event you get contamination of your main supply. Enough to get through the reef and dock.
Don't forget the rubber bulb pump....
I generally strap them on deck if voyaging... sometimes fuel is dearer at the next destination so its nice to bulk buy when you can.
When I cruised the Med I carried 3 x 25 on each side...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 17:29   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have 4x6 on deck fuel, and 3x6 water. i lash them to rail and to mast base of main mast.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 17:40   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Although I carry 100 gallons of diesel in the normal tankage, I've got 4 jerry jugs that can be used for transfers from shore. If I need them for something like the Baja Bash, they get lashed to the windward rail.

I think they look cool, and they tend to be more useful than crew when it comes to keeping the boat flat.
Old 10-11-2011, 18:24   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If one eschews the extra fuel, one tends to pay more attention to sailing in marginal conditions rather than lighting off the diesel. This leads to building sailing skills that will be of help when the donk quits for whatever reason. Not a popular idea, but one that has appealed to me for years.

And FWIW, our previous boat carried only around 200 L of fuel, and we managed some 86 K miles of cruising in her... all without carrying jerry jugs on passages. Insatiable II is blessed with some 600 L capacity, but we find that we still tend to sail in wind strengths where most of our fellows are motoring away.

Finally, we have used collapsible jugs for ferrying water for many years, and find them indispensable. We have about 6 on board (pretty well fills up the dinghy ) and use them when needed. They do tend to get pinhole leaks, but for this usage they are not a problem... just a nuisance!

And while Bash may think jugs look cool on deck, I think they look kinda junky. YMMV.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
fuel, water