Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 15:49   #1

Question Challenge: Heaving-to with Self-Tacking Jib

A question for owners of boats with self-tacking jibs:

How do you heave-to? The boat just comes about and sails off on a different tack - doesn't it?

If have not tried it, but the charter fleet for which I teach has a few Hanses.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 16:03   #2

options

You'll need to test some of these out, to see what can work.
  • Tether the jib clew to a weather fitting. The fitting must be robust.
  • Roll away the jib, hoist a storm jib with two sheets; heave-to as traditional.
  • Roll away the jib, lift the mainsheet car to weather and sheet in flat, adjust rudder to compensate. (in non-storm conditions, play with sheet/car position to reach equilibrium.)
  • Rig twin jib sheets when needed for heaving-to.
  • Start engine, roll away sails, set auto pilot/windvane to keep it into the wind with the engine just ticking over enough to overcome leeway.
Really, when you think about it, there are a lot of ways to do this. Just takes some time to work through them.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 16:18   #3

Thanks for the response. There is one other factor that led to my asking the question. We use a heave-to, sail-to, heave-to method of crew overboard. Time is of the essence.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jack
Old 05-11-2008, 18:55   #4

Heave-to, sail-to, heave-to with self-tacking jib

Okay, this is completely opinion with no basis in experience, but the best routine would be to use the quick stop (point directly into the wind until all way is lost, possibly until sternway is gained), during which the tether can be retrieved ready for application. Sail-to the COB/position where heave-to will allow the boat to drift to the COB. Heave-to using the tether.

Same situation, alternative resolution: Quick stop as before, retrieving extra sheet (Genoa? Spinaker?). Sail-to, then heave-to using extra sheet.

Final suggestion, probably won't work if the wind is up, roll away the jib. Slack sheet to nearly broad-off, tiller hard to leeward; the boat should fill and gill very slowly by itself. Rig two sheets for jib, unroll and sail-to. Heave-to using two sheets.

The first two may be quick enough if the gear is ready to hand. The last would likely be the slowest method/most number of steps.

Another thing you should do is contact Hanse yachts. They may have a specifc technique they've developed.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 17:19   #5

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I was taught the figure 8 for MOB. No heaving to or jibing required, although heaving to would help if you overshoot on the last upwind approach. Is the heave-to, sail-to, heave-to method better?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 20:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I was taught the figure 8 for MOB. No heaving to or jibing required, although heaving to would help if you overshoot on the last upwind approach. Is the heave-to, sail-to, heave-to method better?
There are some distinct advantages:

- It can be done by one person easily.
- You never lose sight of the MOB
- You end up hove-to, with MOB on leeward - easier to pick up.
- No flapping sails and flying clews.
- The jibing is done in a controlled fashion with sails sheeted in. In big winds you can chicken jibe. (Been there, done that.)
- Overshooting is seldom an problem.

While discussing this approach in instructor's clinic I was conducting, we realized that self-tacking jibs presented a problem. My solution was a figure eight, but I promised that I would seek the advise of others.

Jack
Old 06-11-2008, 20:52   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
The quickstop, heave to is designed to keep the casualty in sight; too many times in the past the victim has been lost during the figure eight. With a self tacking jib, the best bet will be to keep the jig sheeted tight, make the approach with the wind more abeam and luff the main. Fan the rudder to slow down more. The wind will not flow properly over the jib and hopefully will not have much fwd thrust. Then sheet in the main just enough to keep the bow from blowing down. Practice, practice, practice!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
With a self tacking jib, the best bet will be to keep the jig sheeted tight, make the approach with the wind more abeam and luff the main.
The self-tacking jib will simply tack and the boat will continue to sail, ratgher than heaving-to.

Jack
Old 07-11-2008, 09:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Too bad. SOL?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:45   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42
If it were me I'd head up immediately, cast off the jib sheet, hard sheet the main, furl the jib and proceed with a recovery bald headed. You won't stop quite so quickly but you will stop in short order. Most yachts will lay too with a hard sheeted main only and with the relatively small roll of a non-overlapping sail on the head-stay, a weather-cocked rudder should hold you steady enough for a recovery.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:28   #11

Boat: Fantasia 35
You could also take jib sheets from the jib clew (or boom end) and secure them with jam cleats (or release knots) near the jib tack. The sheets would then go to sheet blocks located well forward and then secured near the cockpit. The jib sheets will not hinder the normal operation of the self-tacking jib. Pulling on the a jib sheet will release it from the jam cleat (or knot) and allow the jib to be set to windward. The disadvantage is having extra lines on deck.
Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:43   #12

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
There are some distinct advantages:

- You end up hove-to, with MOB on leeward - easier to pick up.

Jack
I read something recently that suggested testing this in strong winds in *your* boat to get a feel for how fast you will drift to leeward - too fast and you will be pushing the MOB hard.

On the original topic we have a self tending staysail, which is going to be a likely choice for heaving to if we haven't got the storm jib out. Was figuring on leading a sheet back to the genoa blocks to achieve this. Not familiar with Hanse but do they not have blocks for spinnakers that could be used?
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 14:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
I read something recently that suggested testing this in strong winds in *your* boat to get a feel for how fast you will drift to leeward - too fast and you will be pushing the MOB hard.

On the original topic we have a self tending staysail, which is going to be a likely choice for heaving to if we haven't got the storm jib out. Was figuring on leading a sheet back to the genoa blocks to achieve this. Not familiar with Hanse but do they not have blocks for spinnakers that could be used?
The sheet led aft should do the trick.

In my experience the motion of the boat pushing water tends to keep the MOB away from the hull. While trying to "rescue" a TV antennae that came off near Cape Scott, that was the issue - it keep getting pushed away from the boat. Parenthetically, I did learn that the MOD needs to something (like a PFD) onto which we can grip or snag with a boat hook.

Any MOB drill needs practice.

Jack
Old 10-11-2008, 13:11   #14

Re: OP's question, I'm sure it depends on the boat. In the Freedom 20's with self-tacking jibs that we use locally, the windage is enough to make the bow fall off and keep the boat hove-to.
Pete R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 13:54   #15

I think you are screwed with a self tacking jib, the boat is going to want to drive. Maybe try blowing the jib sheet and backing the main but it won't be easy for the new sailor. The art of sailing backwards is not often taught. Only racers clearing foils prior to a start seem to use the technique.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote