Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2010, 10:44   #46

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
It's refit year for my little Sunset Chaser and we're not about to be back on the water anytime soon....
The main stuff:
- Build new motor mount
- Transom modifications to handle new motor mount
- Reinforce a few dozen bolt holes through wood parts, then re-bed and reinstall hardware
- New electrical panel (apparently car/gadget switches don't like water....)
- Repair minor hull damage from an, er, dock incident (note, not all "permanent" docks will actually stay put overnight)
- Lots of paint touch ups
- Repair trailer tongue and winch stand (!@#$ing rust....)
- Paint the name on the boat, properly

So my outboard is lying on the floor of the garage, there are cleats and bolts lying all over the place, there's currently no way to tie her to the trailer, and in any case, my wife has the car and it's going to be below freezing tomorrow morning.
Here's hoping next summer comes early and is long and warm
Old 21-10-2010, 11:03   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i am not tied to any dock , nor am i 8 on ht e hard.i have a perfectly good abandoned formosa with a few problems-- of which i am fixing only the most problematic---replace packin ggland--will be done in the water, on a mooring--yes i have lots of toilet ring wax seals..LOL.....
replace deck backing plate-- round one of epoxy and wood goes in today--never hire a worker with poor work ethic and a problem with drama---like production thereof...LOL; and i NEED to replace and back my existing chainplates-- the ones that were repllaced ar egood-- the rest get backed and /or replace. i have visible cracks as they were not braced withy blocks behind them where they pass through and around my caprail. twistoflexed to crackage. anythng else gets fixed on th ego , as it were. my forestaysail is gonna be a baby stay with removable rigging for a bit--a self tender....until i can get it rigged proper.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 12:45   #48

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
IdoraKeeper - love the impromptu RBT!

Zeehag - no kidding on the guy with a poor work ethic. My corrolary to that, learned from a nightmarish marine plumber, is to never hire someone who tells you he hates his work. It showed, believe me.
Old 21-10-2010, 13:09   #49
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My 'ESSENTIALS' on my list is sealing all deck fittings and the hull deck join, a toilet(tho' I do have a bucket) and the new Vetus forehatch....
I am SO fed up with a soggy bed... the rest is mainly cosmetic....

Pigs BUM!!!

Didnt you mention "rewire' in a previous post?????? and "Rip out Interior and re-model"

You can't have it both ways (theres a word for people like that misanthrope?)

I think you are one of these Gunnas not Doers!!!!!!!!
I'm GUNNER do this and I'm GUNNER do that............

Come out there in the deep water and drink Conch Brandy with the rest of us.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 14:12   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
IdoraKeeper - love the impromptu RBT!

Zeehag - no kidding on the guy with a poor work ethic. My corrolary to that, learned from a nightmarish marine plumber, is to never hire someone who tells you he hates his work. It showed, believe me.
i would rather have bad boyfriend--lol--

mark--stop making the life sound so damnably good until after i get out there...LOL

work is being done now an the noise sounds positive..>LOL..i love it when a plan comes together...LOL

too bad the fired one kept my pieces nd parts.... ggggrrrrrr....

Old 21-10-2010, 14:54   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Pigs BUM!!!

Didnt you mention "rewire' in a previous post?????? and "Rip out Interior and re-model"

You can't have it both ways (theres a word for people like that misanthrope?)

I think you are one of these Gunnas not Doers!!!!!!!!
I'm GUNNER do this and I'm GUNNER do that............

Come out there in the deep water and drink Conch Brandy with the rest of us.

LMAO.....
There's Remodel and there's my remodel.....
Insulation... not essential... dry however is...
Rewire.... peice of weewee.. only have masthead tri, and depth/speed/log and ST1000... 2 solar panels and 2 batteries... oh and 3 car type cigar lighters... 2 days max.
Remodel consists of cutting out the raised bit in the middle of the v-berth where the toilets supposed to go and creating a nice flat surface the width of the boat thats comfortable. Then remove the crappy bulkhead dividing fore from saloon then cut out a section of the stbd setee midships and fit the 'bog' in the hole then rig the sink so it folds down and hides it when not being sat on.... pee goes over the stern.. unless I'm running before... max 2 weeks... maybe three..
New windows and forehatch... it'll take more time for them to be delivered from the UK than to fit...lol
The VCTar and paint job not essential... could antifoul drying out at the slip... the mast also cosmetic.
I reckon the hull-deck joins gonna be the backbreaker... done it a coupla 3 times before on other boats but was in a yard and had workmates to help... solo's gonna take time an a lotta swearing...
There's a must do list and a MUST DO LIST.... one a someday the others a today...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 16:34   #52

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Further, there are some of the most wonderfully beautiful areas to fix your boat in 'Paradise'. East coast USA has the Caribbean; Europe has Turkey, Mallorca; Australia has Asia and West Coast USA has.... has......... well, the West Coast USA.... has Hollyood so you can just fix it with foam, paint and gaffer tape Just Green Screen it

Mark
Mark,
You are right about the West coast as far as California and Oregon, but obviously haven't been to the PNW. From Puget Sound all the way to Alaska there are several lifetimes worth of anchorages.
All you need is to not need constant warmth.
That's what heaters are for. This year, we even used our furnace in July.

Steve B.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 14:52   #53

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50
To answer to SaltyMonkey,

We have a "1 piece" propeller shaft rope cutter...that never avoid the fishing net or big rope to foul our propeller.

I think it may help to get rid of small ropes, but certainly not to avoid the propeller to be seriously fouled...and, by small ropes, we are talking about the ones that usually are not a problem when they go through the propeller.

The only interest is that it give us some reduction to our insurance annual cost...

For the ones that are in 2 pieces, I would even fear to get more damage to the shaft and the propeller than without any of these gadgets...IMHO of course.
Old 08-01-2011, 17:14   #54

despite me not being at dock--i am changing out stove--have a not working galley maid and it is going to another boat-- my fprce 10 from my ericson is coming into formosa--
that is my remodel..LOL>...other than myt forepeak/anchorlocker-- fix a bulkhead and deck backing plate-- done- just have to reinstall my windlass and finish off the bulkhead and ....
at same time replace packing gland and chainplates-- then i am able to leave here- main projects are for function and safety. cosmetix be damned....unless the cosmetix in volved are having something to do with safety.....or function!

btw--t he galley maid is a functional stove--just isnt hooked up so leaves in favor of my force 10....
Old 03-04-2011, 07:26   #55

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Challenge: Has Your To-Do List Got You Tied to the Dock ?

Now that it's getting warmer, I'm sure sails are going up more. Hopefully everyone has their to-do lists completed or at least a good amount completed. Happy Sailing!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:46   #56

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
Now that it's getting warmer (...) Happy Sailing!
Why so much disrespect for our Ozzie and Kiwie members?

;-)))
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 18:02   #57

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I have a list as long as your arm but I just got my boat two months ago. Never the less I have cleaned her at the dock then left the marina under sail to put her on the hook.
I Pulled the heads of the locked up engine because I'm trying to unlock her on the hook as well as added new led's for the nav lights. I have a lot to do and a five year plan to do it and a complete rewire is in the works but most of it is cosmetic.
A lot is cosmetic, more then I want or can mention and I will do it on the hook at night after work. But a dock to me is a unnecessary expense. I can bank more on the hook because soap, water, scrubbing and replacing running rigging are cheaper.

My main thing is completely rebedding everything and painting everything on the hard next year or the year after. Also having a good look at the Deck to Hull joint for safety while I'm there. Rigging will also be replaced as needed but that's like brakes on a car. You gotta do the safety related repairs no matter what.
I'm with Mark and Zeehag on this. You can do a lot when not at the dock and save a lot more on the hook. Not to mention you get to sail on the weekends which is why I bought a boat to begin with anyway.
But I have no wife or kids to hold me back and I don't one. Remodeling to me is getting a better looking girlfriend with a larger boat then mine.
Old 05-04-2011, 18:05   #58
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
Now that it's getting warmer, I'm sure sails are going up more. Hopefully everyone has their to-do lists completed or at least a good amount completed. Happy Sailing!
oh please...

sheesh like I needed m' nose rubbed in it???

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 18:23   #59

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
So now you have accidentally become that %$&$%@%$@%@$ that screams though the (mooring, fishing area, swimming area) in your dink with no regard for others...

Sometimes when people go through a mooring and throw a wake, make some noise, snag a line it's just an unintentional blunder.
When I see a guy drive by in a boat, I reel in until he goes past.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:49   #60

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
When I see a guy drive by in a boat, I reel in until he goes past.

Still there is something to be said for a little common courtesy at a mooring. I row row row my boat through whisper quietly with no wake.