Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 12:45   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
But I do agree on the coral reef being precious and on us trying to avoid making any damage to it. Off course!

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 13:28   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Dare I remind you of the great "Turtle" saga. How after hurricane IKE put "Turtle" and 85 of her dockmates ashore in a marshy spot in Baytown Texas and how her mighty (and studly) skipper, with help from his stronger friends stood up, repaired and then skidded her 55' back to the water, all by hand.

Yes Dear reader with only the most basic of tools such as levers, comealongs, log rollers, and pork lard(20lbs) 10(12?) mostly old fat white guys moved a Pacific Seacraft 25 back into the water without causing further damage to the boat or, more importantly, them selves.

Making "Turtle" the only boat in the place to get out without having to pay the City of Baytown or its minions their outrageous $253.00 per foot moving fee...........but I digress..............m
Old 11-10-2010, 13:49   #18
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post

Making "Turtle" the only boat in the place to get out without having to pay the City of Baytown or its minions
Not the only one....but yes, that way a nasty bit of business pulled off by the City of Baytown. That was an impressive job for mostly old, fat, white guys!

Which marina did you end up putting Turtle in? Send me a PM, we should have a beer sometime!

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 12:48   #19

louisiades

[QUOTE=barnakiel;536775]I am reading a blog of some sailors who got washed onto a reef back in 1979. The boat got lifted by big swells and ended up on the other side ... with no way out.

But where there is will ... With the most primitive tools, they did cut a 30 meter long channel in the reef, it took them slightly over 2 months in 45 degrees

Yes that also happened 2 years ago on the first Louisiades rally when "Quintessence" hit the reef at Du Chateaux and the next day popped over it into the lagoon and then came to rest gently on the sandy beach.
The local natives finally helped greatly by digging a trench through the sand and then the coral reef. (unfortunately not before pillaging the yacht)
The hull and motor were still ok and so it was able to leave. Later some of the gear was returned to the owners.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 13:17   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
A coral reef is immeasurably more valuable than a boat. This was a bad decision.
Not in my book it ain't
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 13:20   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
A coral reef is immeasurably more valuable than a boat. This was a bad decision.
Unfortunately that was not a commonly held belief at the time.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 13:56   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
What?......Dang!...now I have to go through out all my Chinese junk and pollute even more.

Well......................so long folks....Ill be off line awhile...Iv got to toss my Toshiba..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 13:56   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
I just can't imagine having to cut a channel 30m long and 2.7m deep even with diving kit. Wonder what they used, axes perhaps.

Saw the James Caird (Shackleton boat) at the London Boat show a couple of years ago. Oh wow, its tiny no bigger than a day sailing yacht

Dulwich College - The 'James Caird' at Dulwich College

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 14:12   #24

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Now that has to be the smallest Ketch on record.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 15:54   #25

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I just can't imagine having to cut a channel 30m long and 2.7m deep even with diving kit. Wonder what they used, axes perhaps.
They started with some heavy duty fishing gear set on wooden spars (I think the word is spear or harpoon) but these did not last long, later some friendly ships helped them make tools similar to what one uses when mining by hand.

The funny vane is those guys were ... miners by trade. So maybe their expertise ;-))) was of some help.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 23:46   #26

Boat: Vagabond 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
Dare I remind you of the great "Turtle" saga. How after hurricane IKE put "Turtle" and 85 of her dockmates ashore in a marshy spot in Baytown Texas and how her mighty (and studly) skipper, with help from his stronger friends stood up, repaired and then skidded her 55' back to the water, all by hand.

Yes Dear reader with only the most basic of tools such as levers, comealongs, log rollers, and pork lard(20lbs) 10(12?) mostly old fat white guys moved a Pacific Seacraft 25 back into the water without causing further damage to the boat or, more importantly, them selves.

Making "Turtle" the only boat in the place to get out without having to pay the City of Baytown or its minions their outrageous $253.00 per foot moving fee...........but I digress..............m
I LIKE IT!

Tags
reefs