Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2008, 05:16   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
Hey Pelagic, I dissagree with you about turning before the 2 freighters overtake the Swan.

Thanks for taking the time to post the challenge. It was fun
You're welcome...and if we all agreed....it would be boring!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 05:24   #47
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Hooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Great Answers from many and as Dan said, quite a variety.

........more if you were to increase speed as someone asked what the max was …. Wotname, I guessed at that max speed but it was a red herring anyway)[/SIZE][/FONT]

.........A few holes have been punched in the simulator room after this exercise!
And maybe a few around CF as well. Thanks for the excerise Pelagic.
BTW, I found my own response to the question interesting. When it was first posted, I immediately thought "slow down". Then I considered what would happen if speed was increased. As there was not data given, I calculated it would be about 12 kts so I discarded that as an option. When it was posted to be 14 kts, I started to think - hey let's use this potential 40% speed increase as an option.
Looks like the red herring had me well hooked - should have stuck with the original gut feeling .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 05:29   #48
CF Adviser

I have some ideas for your new post but I will give it a rest for a while.....cheers!
Old 13-08-2008, 17:08   #49

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
should have stuck with the original gut feeling .
I don't know why you would now second-guess your well-reasoned response. Of course a Swan probably only goes 10 or 11 knots top speed, but since this is a paper exercise, the improbable was possible and you saw the advantage of speeding up when you had 14 kts available. Too many make the sophomoric mistake of discounting the use of speed or manoeuvrability to avoid a developing situation, rather than blindly following the standard prudent mariner maxim of "slow down or stop to better assess the situation."

Anyway, it was a fun exercise - thanks for posting it Pelagic. Don't be afraid to post another one. I enjoy a lively debate, but in the future could we do without the patronizing comments or declarations that a particular approach is "wrong" please
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 17:34   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
My first response was also to pass in front of P1 - With the extra speed it even seemed more feasible.

However - when I remembered we are all in "patchy" fog and navigating by radar I got a little sweaty. Cross in front of a super tanker out of control and doing 22 knots - yikes!

It is also very tempting to start thinking about what the scene looks like in 30 seconds. Speculating on what P1 might or might not fix and what OT1 & 2 will do or not do.

12 minutes is a fair amount of time. 1 minute is a good reaction time for everyone. I'd still throw out the anchor and evaluate in 1 minute.

While I certainly agree with Pelagic that you can complete a 180 turn inside OT2, it's very interesting that DOT thinks an about turn is the best answer.

Imagine you are listening to the radio and you discover that a semi-trailer full of electronics gear has been stolen in front of a Best buy store. It is being pursued down I-10 by the highway patrol - the thing is the rig entered the freeway on the wrong side, is traveling at 65 mph and is 2 miles ahead of you.

I don't think a u-turn is in your menu of options - Pull over and jump over the guard rail seems about right - LOL.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 17:37   #51
CF Adviser

Ok Lodesman !..... your conclusions were merely....mistaken!

Dan... your instincts are right and if you read my "formal" reply I actually slow down to steerage, effect a 180 when safe to do so (even if that meant waiting till OT's are abeam of me and going ahead)

All while communicating with Traffic and (hopefully) other ships for an emergency solution

The key is to turn around and get away from a runaway Ship going much faster than you can.

That is what the DOT are looking for if the circumstances permit, which in this excersise they do.
Old 13-08-2008, 17:49   #52

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 17:36   #53

Re: Challenge: Collision Avoidance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karletto View Post
+ the container ship would probably take measures to stop for example dropping stern anchors; using bow thrusters or it that broken too? ()
Hi containers ships do not have anchors at the stern, both their anchors are located at the bow. As for the bow thruster it will only work if you bring down the speed to less than 5 knots.

The best thing is to reduce speed to the minimum to maintain steerage way. Once T2 has overtaken you, move to starboard keeping close to the fishing vessels on the starboard side.
hiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 19:54   #54
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Challenge: Collision Avoidance!

^^ Gosh, I thought this challenge was put to rest 9 years ago
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
collision