Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 14:43   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull
Re: Atlantic crossing

We have little poor weather experience but have been in squalls sailing and anchored. I have worked in the GOM as a boat captain for the oil industry and am a graduate of the Chapman School of Seamanship, I have been in some really nasty stuff myself. It really all comes down to prepping the boat early and making the best decisions you can at the time. I also plan on changing my deck scuppers over to a valve system so I can switch to filing the tanks with fresh water after the rain washes the salt off a bit. But that is the the least of our worries really. I'm more concerned with the best time of year and a route that would make sense for someone without a death-wish. Thanks for your question Dave.
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 01:23   #32

Thanks to all those who took the time to provide helpful answers.

I think for the time it would take it would probably be just as worthwhile to drive to the east end of Russia and hop over the Bering Strait.
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 01:29   #33

Maybe, just maybe, you should buy a terrestrial globe 1st
vRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 01:55   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vRUN View Post
LOL... +1
Old 28-11-2013, 04:31   #35

Quote:

How do you mean?
Old 28-11-2013, 04:57   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
How do you mean?
How? By giving money to the guy selling globes...:-))
Old 28-11-2013, 06:17   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, I'm not going to say that they shouldn't do it. What I'm going to say is that anyone who is ready to do a trip like this does not have to ask such rudimentary questions. By the time they are ready to make such a trip in a reasonably safe manner, they will know how to answer all of these questions for themselves.
Aren't they starting the process of research by posting here? Gotta start somewhere.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 06:57   #38

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Atlantic Crossing

Man up and do it the traditional way:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kon-tiki.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	71189  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 07:14   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
And a road map showing the (non-existent) highways in Siberia and NW Alaska.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 00:31   #40

Y'know, for people who are supposedly knowlegeable some of you guys really are just a bunch of jerks. I asked the question in good faith, and as some people have managed to give me insightful answers then the question isn't impossible to answer.

Those that have suggested buying a globe or buying a map are pathetic quite frankly.

Thanks again to those who provided considered and helpful answers.
Old 15-01-2014, 01:24   #41

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Y'know, for people who are supposedly knowlegeable some of you guys really are just a bunch of jerks. I asked the question in good faith, and as some people have managed to give me insightful answers then the question isn't impossible to answer.

Those that have suggested buying a globe or buying a map are pathetic quite frankly.

Thanks again to those who provided considered and helpful answers.
Captain America, I'll try to explain this to you. The question you've asked is virtually impossible to answer. Sort of "How big is a fish?" question.

You've noted that this needs to be done single-handed by someone with no appreciable sailing experience, further you've said "money is not particularly important".

yes - you've gotten some very flippant answers. I'm guessing you're writing a book and this scenario somehow needs to be worked. I'll try to give you a realistic answer below - but the other posters aren't jerks - they were simply poking at bit of fun - because the question is no answerable in its form.

for an outright amateur, single-handing anything larger than a 35 footer (and single-handing is not for pussies or the uninitiated) is stretching the imagination (so is an amateur single-handing across the atlantic).

England to the Canaries - you have to leave England before the end of August or the Biscay can be a killer. Say 3 weeks to the Canaries (assuming no long stops for sight-seeing). Now he waits until after mid-november (hurricane season end) and sets sail. Assuming he catches the trade winds quickly, he will be across in something like 18 to 25 days, arriving before christmas.

Single-handing that trip is truly an achievement, even for a seasoned "old salt". You have to realize that the sailor will get very little sleep, and in the event he runs into bad weather, he will be extremely hard put to manage it all by himself.

You asked originally if it should be power boat or sailboat. The power boat would have to be huge to carry the requisite amount of fuel.

Hope the above helps you - but the real problem is you don't know enough to ask the question.

Tell us when you finish the book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 01:44   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Captain America, I'll try to explain this to you. The question you've asked is virtually impossible to answer. Sort of "How big is a fish?" question. You've noted that this needs to be done single-handed by someone with no appreciable sailing experience, further you've said "money is not particularly important". yes - you've gotten some very flippant answers. I'm guessing you're writing a book and this scenario somehow needs to be worked. I'll try to give you a realistic answer below - but the other posters aren't jerks - they were simply poking at bit of fun - because the question is no answerable in its form. for an outright amateur, single-handing anything larger than a 35 footer (and single-handing is not for pussies or the uninitiated) is stretching the imagination (so is an amateur single-handing across the atlantic). England to the Canaries - you have to leave England before the end of August or the Biscay can be a killer. Say 3 weeks to the Canaries (assuming no long stops for sight-seeing). Now he waits until after mid-november (hurricane season end) and sets sail. Assuming he catches the trade winds quickly, he will be across in something like 18 to 25 days, arriving before christmas. Single-handing that trip is truly an achievement, even for a seasoned "old salt". You have to realize that the sailor will get very little sleep, and in the event he runs into bad weather, he will be extremely hard put to manage it all by himself. You asked originally if it should be power boat or sailboat. The power boat would have to be huge to carry the requisite amount of fuel. Hope the above helps you - but the real problem is you don't know enough to ask the question. Tell us when you finish the book
It´s not a book, I heard it's a movie titled "All is lost"
Old 15-01-2014, 03:47   #43

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

capt america -- i first read this and thought he has not a clue -- and i agree with carstenb you need to know the questions before you ask it

we have sailed the atlantic - 2 handed from the carib to azores and on to portugal --

not sure you have done any homework on anything -- maybe like so many young people today you don't want to do the hard work necessaryy to get the necessary infor -- before we even got around to buying a boat (10 yrs ago) we had read a number of books on boats and sailing, taken a couple of lesson, and attended a number of boat shows - then spent a lot of time with boat brokers and found one who really took time explain the differences in different types of sailboats -
and before we took off from the usa for the caribbean we spent a lot of time researching places and routes and weather and timing ect

it appears you want to take a short cut -- bad news - there is no short cut - so take the time and do you research then ask intelligent questions and you will get good answers but until then ----
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 04:16   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Atlantic Crossing

Quote:
Hello!

Would anybody be willing to take on this scenario challenge? It's a genuine question hoping for a genuine answer.

So, you have to advise an absolute amateur how to cross the Atlantic from England to North America.

The only priority is to make it there in one piece.

So the information required is, which route would you advise them to take, how long would you expect the crossing to take, what essential supplies would be required and what would be the best choice of vessel to make the journey.

Please no answers like 'I would tell them not to do it'. I understand completely that for an amateur to take this on would be utterly ridiculous.

Remember the priority is just to make it there. How long it takes and how much it costs are not particularly important.

Please also try to give reasons why you would recommend one route over another or one ship over another.

Thanks in anticipation,

C.A.
Okay... I'll give it a go... but I'm cheaper than these guys..
The boat I'd pick would be a Westerly Longbow.. a decent example can be picked up for around £17,000 - £20,000.. that's with a good rig, decent sails and a furler and gennaker... and fully kitted with anchors, chain etc.
Its a tiller steered boat so I'd get 2 Raymarine tillerpilots, for navigation I'd use a Notebook with a nav program and GPS tracker and a HH GPS as a back up. VHF radio + HH. that's it for the aids.
For power I'd fit an Aerogen wind generator and carry a spare car battery over and above the house and engine batteries.. along with a 10W solar panel... these 2 items would be stowed and kept separate from the system.
If the cold box has not already been converted to a spillover frigo-box I'd do that.
For Nav purposes I'd buy 3 passage charts to cover UK down to the Canaries, a Pilot book for the N Atlantic and three charts that cover for Martinique to St Martin.. A good 2hp outboard and dinghy I'm now ready to sail.
Now its time for your amateur to start the practical side.. we'd spend the 1st week sailing between Hurst and Salcombe experiencing different conditions and types of entries into some tricky ports/anchorages and getting past tidal races.. the second week would involve a channel crossing to the Channel Islands and the kind of tough sailing/navigation to be found in that area..
As to provisioning.. set off with 2 weeks supply of food and stock up as you go from port to port..
Now some have said 2 weeks to the Canaries from the UK... they've either never done the trip.. or have had absolutely perfect conditions all the way.. figure on 4 weeks minimum to make it safely and comfortably.. stock up in Las Palmas with 6 weeks of food.. the water tankage should be enough for the trip but I would also carry 10 x 5L jugs of water as well.. just in case the tank fails or fouls..
Route... assume your starting from Poole.. along the S coast to Falmouth.. wait for a good window then non stop across the W Approaches and Biscay down to Baiona.. rest up a couple of days then down to Cascais... wait for a window then run before favourable N'lies the 750 odd miles down to Las Palmas..
Here you have a choice.. carry on down to Cape Verdes and cross from there.. its shorter hops..
from the Canaries its 3000 ish miles in disturbed weather.. from the Cape Verdes its 2200 in steady trades and current..
this is where your by now 'experienced' solo sailor has to make up his mind.. personally I'd go S to the Cape Verdes..
Total cost less than £30,000
Hope this was helpful..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 04:58   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Okay... I'll give it a go... this is where your by now 'experienced' solo sailor has to make up his mind.. personally I'd go S to the Cape Verdes.. Total cost less than £30,000 Hope this was helpful..
The OP was heading to North America... Any good reason not to do it around may - june and from Azores a route to Bermuda?

Tags
atlantic crossing