Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 07:42   #1

Anchorage tips on parshelly protected water please

Anchorage tips on parshelly protected water

Last summer the planned Anchorage Fort.Morgan, AL

See red circle I thought I had South and East or combination of the two wind protection.

The anchorage dept. 3-4’. my 2500LB hull has 18" draft

Weather predictions where calm well at 2AM I was being bounced around had front and rear dansfort anchors
30+MPH wind.
I instantely went to start engine goodness it did.

The wind was gusting more than 40MPH enough to snap my 3/8” rode
This just before I restart engine.
Seas where 3’ on short ride to dock it was very ruff that morning.

Should I have been closer to the west and north peninsula.
Vessel is a Tall lightweight 23.5’ aluminum plitohouse.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ftanchorage.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	163335   Click image for larger version

Name:	ftanchorage2.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	163336  

Name:	ftanchorage3P.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	163337   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPLASH2.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	163338  

Old 03-02-2018, 08:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Anchorage tips on parshelly protected water please

First thing, get a bigger anchor rode. I wouldn't use 3/8" on my 18' ski boat. Your boat may be lightweight but it's not that small and with the pilot house has a lot of windage.

Where you anchored looks OK on the chart but when waves start building they easily wrap around a point and hit things that look like they are behind land. In an open area like that I always try to anchor as close to the shore and a far behind any protection as possible. However don't forget if the wind shifts 180 degrees that could put you into shallow water or even on the shore when the boat rotates around the anchor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:03   #3

I'm thinking this Moblie is a huge bay w/ cross currents tidal changes/super tankers ect. there really isn't a protected water to be on the hook safely.

unless I cruise all the way back into a smaller tributray like Bon Secour river.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well of course the perfect anchorage would be totally surrounded by land and fully protected with a good sandy bottom, no rocks and free pizza delivery. Unfortunately in the real world you can't always get perfect.

Yes I can be tricky anchoring in a large, open bay like Mobile but people do it all the time, safely and comfortably. You just have to pick the right spot for the boat and weather which isn't always doable. So sometimes you have to travel to a better spot.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:11   #5

Boat: Boatless

More importantly, you need a good anchoring system...A strong anchor on all chain so that you cannot chafe the rode through.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 15:45   #6

I like this anchorage at Ft.Morgan,AL I actualley was safely on the hook the following evening at same anchorage.
yes I agreed I needmore chain currently have a 8LB danforth and 10'lead galvinized chain.
I have a homemade manuel rode barrel winch holds 300' of 3/8" so I don't set the hook to deep.

it mite have been a blessing in disguise that the rode broke rather have that than a bow lift eye ripped out of bow the vessel was bounceing this violently.

I certainly would have preferred to be closer to land maybe tucked up close only problem w/ being real close like gangplank close is theres locals fishermen on the west

peninsula and I don't want then throwing there lead though my windows for some reason they don't take to kindly to boaters that close to land interferring w/ land folks.
Old 03-02-2018, 15:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Steve,

Let me repeat and emphasize. 3/8" is too small. You need bigger line, not lots more chain. Yes chain is good but for your situation 10-15' or so would be acceptable.
Old 03-02-2018, 22:06   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, anchoring in three feet of water is always risky at best, no matter what your draft. Doesn't take much wind to set up a severe chop in such shallow water, and then you are in danger of pounding on the bottom. Bad kinda place IMO, but I have no knowledge of that area of the world... maybe that's as good as it gets!

Jim
Old 03-02-2018, 23:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, anchoring in three feet of water is always risky at best, no matter what your draft. Doesn't take much wind to set up a severe chop in such shallow water, and then you are in danger of pounding on the bottom. Bad kinda place IMO, but I have no knowledge of that area of the world... maybe that's as good as it gets!

Jim
Anchoring in 3' in an exposed anchorage..bad idea.
Anchoring in 3' in a well protected anchorage...quite nice (assuming tide is accounted for).

This was an exposed anchorage. The OP's suggestion that it was safe the next night was totally predicated on mild conditions. Well, you can anchor safely in a lot of dangerous locations, if the conditions are mild.

That's an exposed anchorage for just about any wind except out of the south. Anchored in an exposed anchorage means you have to stay on top of the weather and be prepared to react at any time. We wouldn't overnight there unless there was a real pressing need to do so.

Given the speed of your boat, lots of better options within 15-20minutes run. I'd have to check the charts to confirm but a quick look on Google earth: Dauphin Island, Hereon Bay, Oyster Bay all look like viable better protected anchorages in that area, a short run from where you were.

PS: 3/8" line is way too small for sleeping at anchor. Doesn't need to be all chain but get some bigger line.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:55   #10

Did you listen to NOAA weather prior to anchoring there? Normally they would have predicted those kinds of winds and changes.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:31   #11

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
First thing, get a bigger anchor rode. I wouldn't use 3/8" on my 18' ski boat. Your boat may be lightweight but it's not that small and with the pilot house has a lot of windage.

What SkipMac said. Not only is 3/8" undersized for your boat's windage and subsequent momentum, it's also a pain in the hands to pull up manually. I never put anything less than 1/2" line as anchor rode on any power boat I owned. On my 22' Boston Whaler I had 5/8" line just because it was easier to handle and stronger. CaptSteve1, with all due respect to a fellow boater, I recommend doing a little refresher on anchoring gear and procedures. I don't know all the particulars on how you were anchored but if your boat was bucking and yanking enough to break 3/8" line I suspect you had too little rode out, you didn't have a float on the anchor rode to dampen the load and your chain rode was short. I would recommend 15' as a minimum. I am continually puzzled when marine supply stores, manufacturers and other mariners suggest that ground tackle should only meet minimum requirements. The three most common reasons it seems are to minimize weight, maximize storage space and most commonly to reduce expense. Your ground tackle is vital to the safety of your boat and your life. When I put the anchor out I want it to stop the boat from moving, keep the boat from moving and in emergencies I want it to happen NOW! As my building contractor often reminds me the building code specifies the absolute "minimum" safety and structural requirements. Same thing with boat specs. If you lose your boat or someone loses their life do you want to say "Well, I did the least I could do?" Sorry, got into one of my pet peeves. Don't even get me started about bilge pumps.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 17:31   #12

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Did I see it wrong "anchors fore and aft? Try putting both anchors off the bow
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
What SkipMac said. Not only is 3/8" undersized for your boat's windage and subsequent momentum, it's also a pain in the hands to pull up manually. I never put anything less than 1/2" line as anchor rode on any power boat I owned. On my 22' Boston Whaler I had 5/8" line just because it was easier to handle and stronger. CaptSteve1, with all due respect to a fellow boater, I recommend doing a little refresher on anchoring gear and procedures. I don't know all the particulars on how you were anchored but if your boat was bucking and yanking enough to break 3/8" line I suspect you had too little rode out, you didn't have a float on the anchor rode to dampen the load and your chain rode was short. I would recommend 15' as a minimum. I am continually puzzled when marine supply stores, manufacturers and other mariners suggest that ground tackle should only meet minimum requirements. The three most common reasons it seems are to minimize weight, maximize storage space and most commonly to reduce expense. Your ground tackle is vital to the safety of your boat and your life. When I put the anchor out I want it to stop the boat from moving, keep the boat from moving and in emergencies I want it to happen NOW! As my building contractor often reminds me the building code specifies the absolute "minimum" safety and structural requirements. Same thing with boat specs. If you lose your boat or someone loses their life do you want to say "Well, I did the least I could do?" Sorry, got into one of my pet peeves. Don't even get me started about bilge pumps.
Anchoring anchorage is somewhat new to me it is bought on to me because of the lack
Of bayside waterfront hotels searching from Ft.Morgan,AL all the way East to Panama city,FL. weekending on the vessel is like a complete new experiences that I'm liking,

I’m sure I had a very short rode probablley 15’ Rope +10’ chain. w/ 8LB danswhorth forth aft anchor was a smaller danswhorth.
No I don’t have a anchor ball.

Here’s what I have all homemade stuff.

Rode barrel winch/ orgainizer
Anchor bow pulpit
8LB danswhorth
10’lead galinized chain
300’ 3/8” rope
Rear is smaller danswhorth
5’chain
70’ 3/8 rope

Anchoring Stuff I like to have
Anchor ball
Builtin cleat to top lifteye.
Dift sock/anchor
Electric barrel winch
Though hull/deck cap pipe.
Extra set of inside cleats to stow chain
Secondardy stowed anchor securing w/ bungees.

I’m planning/designing a shockcord made of a bunch of bungee cords wrapped in canvas tied directly to front lift eye though the anchor pulit.
Currentely when on the hook I tie rode directly to star front cleat (not my pulpit it’s for dropping stowing).

?1.so the same wind will produce higher waves in shallow water compared to deeper water is because earth is denser than water and offers greater resistance for water to bounce off of correct?
?2.If I had more rode would the bucking be minimzed?

?3.same situation if I deployed a drift sock anchor w/ a shockasorbing shockcord would the vessel hold its position in the shallowish water? Or would the sock even spreadout?

?4.can I use a Tide laundry detergent bottle for a anchor ball?

Since hurricane Ople some 15 years ago demolished the 2 Ocaloosa Island, FL (Ft.Walton Bch) landmark bayside waterfront hotels the Leeside/marine and the Greenwood hotel there are now only two that I know of in my cruising area.

PC has the buccaneer they have a tourist observation dock not designed to overnight a 23.5’vessel. I may opt. to moore here during mid Sep.however I like padlock vessel to dock.
The 2nd hotel over 100year old place dauphin Island ,AL no ice machine no HBO $100.per night.year round, old island hotels usalley have rats.

There is a place cinco bayu I’ve driven by not cruised by. I think are condos w/marine.
Then there’s my first choice the prirates cove Ft.Wal w/ marine and near by convenieces
Like food stores restanutes beachs sect.
Pirates Bay I think I like this place.

I want to rent possiablley buy a place bayside waterfront/ marine or even transient slip w/ shorepower anywhere in my cruising area prefeabelly near Ft.Walton Bch

edit after closer observation I see more whitecaps the closer to land the seas get.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	anchorhornreinforcedP.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	163598   Click image for larger version

Name:	DONE 2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	163599  

Name:	winch2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	163600   Click image for larger version

Name:	ftanchorage3Pp.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	163601  

Old 11-05-2019, 07:41   #14

seams I’m a creature of habit. I was able to set the hook at almost the same anchorage Monday 5-5-19 from 8pm -10am just a tad west of boat ramp and east of pass.

What the heck This rougue wave comes from nowhere, there are parked tankers in the area didn’t see any cruising around or any boats period creating waves this wave made itself.I'm thinking the force of incoming waters from the gulf are bouncing off these tankers on the hook, is this possiable?

What are the red blinking lights close to shore signifying? I’m thinking there are actuelly 2. to stay out area designated for ferry don’t anchor there.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:52   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
seams I’m a creature of habit. I was able to set the hook at almost the same anchorage Monday 5-5-19 just a tad west of boat ramp and east of pass.

What the heck This rougue wave comes from nowhere, there are parked tankers in the area didn’t see any cruising around or any boats period creating waves this wave made itself.

What are the red blinking lights close to shore signifying? I’m thinking there are actuelly 2. to stay out area designated for ferry don’t anchor there.
The wave was very likely a boat wake. The boat could have passed by a long way from where you're anchored and could be a mile away before the wake reached your boat.

The red lights? You need to get a chart and it will show you what they are (unless you are seeing a traffic light on shore near the water). Blinking red lights could easily be channel markers.

Tags
anchor, lease, rot, water