Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 14:46   #1

Advice for boat on a lift during hurricane?

Crazy weather here FL. Live on the Hillsborough River in Temple Terrace and keep my 21' boat on a lift. Above the dam so no tidal influence and not much current and the water level won't go much due to dam and other water control structures. How high or low should I keep my boat due to high winds from hurricane? The lift is a professionally built 4 cables with cross beams and wood for boat support and completely covered with permanent wood frame and tin/steel /aluminum roof. Concerns: wind debris, sheeting destroyed, breakage , swinging etc. lift is rated for 4500 lbs. boat weighs approx 3500# . Advice??
Thanks
keithacausey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 15:43   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Advice for boat on a lift during hurricane?

Make sure your insurance is paid up and I would call your broker and discuss your situation.

There is no way to predict what's best. You could strap the boat down on the lift to keep it from getting blown off. But if you lose your whole dock, the boat being strapped down could destroy it. It's a crap shoot.

The best course would have been to put the boat on a trailer and put it someplace sheltered but it's too late for that. All bets are off as to how you will fare.

Other than moving the boat, anything you can do to remove windage would be advisable.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 16:02   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

There was a whole section of the ICW along north FL that had a small hurricane go through last year. Some of the really nice boat lifts looked good but many were torn apart. Some with boats still in them, hanging in the water..
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 19:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

That size boat, do you have or can you get a trailer?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 20:12   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

My prior boat was kept on a lift (by prior owner) in Florida and blew off, suffering severe damage. There is no safe option on a lift in a hurricane, IMHO.

Hope you can get it trailered somewhere more protected, and your insurance is paid up.

PS -- good luck
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Keith.
Good luck!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:06   #7

Thanks for the good advice. I do have a trailer, l just don't have any open places to keep it on the trailer. I live in a ten unit town home complex and the parking is tight with trees everywhere in that area. My car will be in the garage and the boat won't fit in there anyway. Insurance is paid up, just hoping not to have to go that route.
Thanks and keep sending in advice.
keithacausey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:33   #8
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithacausey View Post
Thanks for the good advice. I do have a trailer, l just don't have any open places to keep it on the trailer. I live in a ten unit town home complex and the parking is tight with trees everywhere in that area. My car will be in the garage and the boat won't fit in there anyway. Insurance is paid up, just hoping not to have to go that route.
Thanks and keep sending in advice.
UHaul is offering free 30 day storage. Don't know if that includes trailer/rv but may be worth a call.
Otherwise, strap it down more, take pix = proof to ins co of being responsible insured.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 19:51   #9

Boat: Freedom 45

we are in green cove springs. we tied it up the best we could to a concrete pier.
we have insurance but we are praying for the boat as we won't be able to as nice a boat again
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 23:20   #10

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

Never leave a boat on a lift even in tropical storm conditions - you'll very likely to lose it, and the lift.
Where to put it?
Ahead of TS or hurricane, talk/visit several marinas - ask about haul, lift out, chock and tiedown. Marina may have a good strong shed.
Be aware, however, there are few safe places in a Cat 3 or above. Have you spoken with your neibours? Advice is free, but the more you talk with people, the better you'll understand what NOT to do....

Many boats tie off across canals which is best option for me - we have boats of 18 - 65 ft tying across our canals - never lost a properly tied boat, when everybody uses many, many lines, and proper chafing gear.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:56   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Agree a lifit is a bad option, but at this point your options and time are running out. I would verify insurance (liability could be a big convern if boat goes for a flight) and strap it well to the lift...then get outta town...WAY outta town.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:55   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Seems to me that a lift combines two bad options. If high the exposure it wind is substantially increased. If low a tidal surge might capsize you. Cross ties across a canal seems a lot safer but the main thing is don't wait to leave the area.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hurricane, lift