We have a Beneteau 423 with a Maxprop and use the standard prop zinc anode. Out boat is on a mooring
. We usually have to replace it once during our New England
season. One reason I think they go so fast is due to the iron keel
of the Beneteau. Whilethe keel
should normally be encapsulated reality is that there are always a few rust spots, sometimes patches, especially on the bottom of the keel. I started using a line cutter
anode from made by SALCA like this one https://anodeshack.com/beneteau-coll...lca-zinc-anode
. Note it is a part made to fit the very small space between the cutlass and the front end of the prop. This seems to slow things down. We also have started turning off the negative disconnect as well as the positive when we leave the boat.
I used to put a guppy over the side, but found that it did not slow the rate of decay of the prop anode. I clipped the end of it to the backstay which I believe was all tied in to engine eventually via the mast
and the VHF
ground. I've intended to try this again and verify the ground.
Marinas are challenging. Improper wiring
and/or boats without zinc protection make you the anode for others. But, we have problems even without being in a marina so the marina may not be the source of your problem.
This year I think we may make it through the entire season (now, I've probably jinxed us).