Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 15:57   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar Idiot lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
You might try Googleing the shop manual for the Yanmar 2gm. Perhaps, http://www.jeanneau-owners.com/Manua...e%20Manual.pdf . Take a look at pages 12-2 and 12-3. There are two possible instrument panels. Look and see which one is yours. One has an instrument test switch; one does not. In any case, a wiring diagram is your friend. That and a VOM meter will find your problem.
A word of caution to the OP. The manual referenced above refers to later 2GM20 (and other xGMxx engines) built after ~ year 2000. The "instrument test" switch (DPDT) is actually both tach instrument light switch (in one position) and a cooling water lamp/buzzer test switch (in the other position). The switch is shown pictorially on page 12-1 as a centre off switch. I am presuming the tach light side is a normal action and the cooling water test is a momentary action.

Earlier xGMxx engines only had a SPST light switch which only operates the internal tach instrument light or (depending on instrument panel type), no light switch at all.

The OP has stated his engine is a xGM rather than a xGMxx and being an 1982 vintage, the above manual is not relevant. Yanmar has not changed its wiring very much over the decades but it does change occasionally .

From what the OP has posted, I'm sure his wiring is not stock standard Yanmar but he can be guided (not lead) by what has been posted so far.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 16:05   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar Idiot lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
wiring diagram....
I am curious as to the revision and date of the publication this came from. I do note that is relevant to E serial numbers onwards for various numbers but I would like to know the date of the publication if you has such information.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar