Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 11:01   #1

Yagi Antenna Questions

I work from home, or in this case, from the boat, and I am working on getting a stable internet connection. Does anyone have any experience with Yagi antennas? The horizontal beamwidth is 25 degrees. I am moored on a dock in one of the calmest ocean marinas around. Has anyone had experience with them aboard a boat? I'm sure I have to just fine tune the direction to account for what little way the boat has. If I'm missing anything could I get some pointers? No pun intended.

Side Note: I have a wireless hotspot through TMobile, but I use a lot of data, so a wifi hotspot connection would work best. I have tried an omnidirectional antenna but had no luck.
NathanNoonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 16:47   #2

Re: Yagi Antenna Questions

Yagi, Beam, Directional antennas can help, but also may add more stray signals.
You might want to look at a sector antenna. Most yagi have maybe 10deg wide, sectors are 45+ deg wide. THis would have with the slight movement of a boat a dock. A sector antenna is also much smaller and could be permantly mounted with a known direction. to the wifi signal at the other end. YOu might want to look also a some of the sector access points. Ubiquiti sells some very nice antennas and access points https://www.ui.com/

Tags
antenna