Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2022, 14:03   #31

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Yacht Devices NMEA2k to Raspberry Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My wifi is flawless onboard. These days radar connects over it , etc.

Bluetooth has no effect on it
Maybe Jedi has a cordless phone
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 14:06   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Maybe Jedi has built part of the Internet we’re posting on and knows a bit about networks

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 14:10   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Yacht Devices NMEA2k to Raspberry Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Maybe Jedi has built part of the Internet we’re posting on and knows a bit about networks

It’s not a wifi network. I’m on 4G

Maybe GBN has installed approx 10000 access points in USA and Europe and actually understands wifi contention
Old 22-10-2022, 14:30   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It’s not a wifi network. I’m on 4G

Maybe GBN has installed approx 10000 access points in USA and Europe and actually understands wifi contention
No, you said wifi, your “wifi network was perfect”. You can read it a couple posts back.

I’m very happy you installed 10000 access points. How many did you do per day? Also, I love 2.4GHz band wifi that is not affected by interference from microwaves, it’s magic!

Unfortunately, I can not afford such gear anymore and now my wifi (and for sure the Yacht Devices Wifi gateway as well) gets interfered like heck from a microwave. It’s RF technology fact, no way around it other than shielding that this product doesn’t have. Because we couldn’t afford it otherwise.

Old 22-10-2022, 14:46   #35
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
No, you said wifi, your “wifi network was perfect”. You can read it a couple posts back.

I’m very happy you installed 10000 access points. How many did you do per day? Also, I love 2.4GHz band wifi that is not affected by interference from microwaves, it’s magic!

Unfortunately, I can not afford such gear anymore and now my wifi (and for sure the Yacht Devices Wifi gateway as well) gets interfered like heck from a microwave. It’s RF technology fact, no way around it other than shielding that this product doesn’t have. Because we couldn’t afford it otherwise.

I had 110 employees in three countries we shifted and installed and debugged more wifi then you’ll ever see

Thats not the point

Yes my boats wifi is perfect.

What I mean by that, is it delivers what I want. Firstly it’s primarily a nmea2000 interface so wifi throughput is orders of magnitude above the CAN bus , hence even if I suffer degradation it’s still way faster then I need.

I’ve been running the boats wifi for two years continuously. I have Wireshark diagnostics based system onboard. I can see the message throughout and monitor the 802.11 activity.

I actually know what I’m looking at.

I am sick and tired of so called “ experts” telling me my own system isn’t working when it’s staring me in the face that’s it’s working and working well.

Stop telling me my stuff isn’t working your not here on my boat.

I can guarantee you my boats wifi has not been affected by a microwave. It would have to be 2-4 metres from the system on board. That’s unlikely and even then modern microwaves do not generally cause issues (C)

( at home I have three access points , on 2.4 ghz plus 2 on 5ghz within 3 metres of a 1200 W big microwave , no problems ) I have 6 wifi devices within 1metre of the microwave , again no issues ( I have a full house of sonoff wifi switches no interference from microwaves )

If you microwave stops all your onboard wifi dead , put the microwave in the bin.

It’s annoying when you dream up this nonsense Nick and it’s more annoying when you tell me it’s affecting me.

Wifi on board is a perfectly acceptable communications medium for non priority non mission critical data , it’s now in use by every major mfd manufacturer.

Let’s stick to the issue. If you want cabled Ethernet bridges , hey knock yourself out. I’m telling you and others my experience is fine with wifi bridges and I save pulling cables around the boat to boat

Ps : I also have a Bluetooth Ve.smart network ( 4 nodes ) it works well too no obvious interference from passing microwaves on a beam reach.
Old 22-10-2022, 15:42   #36
Nearly an old salt

I should point out I had wifi networks on the last three boats. Two had microwaves. The wifi remained working while heating up the left over soup ! In all cases.
Old 22-10-2022, 18:47   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I should point out I had wifi networks on the last three boats. Two had microwaves. The wifi remained working while heating up the left over soup ! In all cases.
Of course it keeps working, interference must be really bad for it to break, but interference there is by law of nature.

TCP protocol was designed to handle all sorts of interference… from the time of using modems. To find how a microwave interferes, just look at a long data transfer test while switching on the microwave.

Like others and me posted, when you see no difference, you are on a different band, not the 2.4GHz band. Some devices, like the Yacht Devices Wifi gateway, only have that single band, so that’s it, there is no 5.8GHz for that. When you use an Ethernet version connected to your wifi router, which undoubtedly is 2- or even 3-band, you can have NMEA streaming to your device on 5.8Ghz without ever touching 2.4GHz.

Old 23-10-2022, 20:00   #38

Boat: Outremer 55L

We don’t have a microwave but do have a bunch of transmitters including SSB but haven’t noticed any interference with our YD signal despite it connecting to our router via 2.4GHz WiFi (they are 20cm apart behind our nav station panels). Our laptops are connected to the router via Ethernet and our phones and tablets via 5GHz WiFi. All good in the hood, but will keep in mind the Ethernet version for future replacement if needed.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 23:48   #39
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Of course it keeps working, interference must be really bad for it to break, but interference there is by law of nature.

TCP protocol was designed to handle all sorts of interference… from the time of using modems. To find how a microwave interferes, just look at a long data transfer test while switching on the microwave.

Like others and me posted, when you see no difference, you are on a different band, not the 2.4GHz band. Some devices, like the Yacht Devices Wifi gateway, only have that single band, so that’s it, there is no 5.8GHz for that. When you use an Ethernet version connected to your wifi router, which undoubtedly is 2- or even 3-band, you can have NMEA streaming to your device on 5.8Ghz without ever touching 2.4GHz.

I see no measurable interference and I’m 2.4
Sone channel hopping is occurring but this is normal
Old 24-10-2022, 01:11   #40
Nearly an old salt

If you put a wire shark protocol decoder you can see 802.11 management frames as well useful things
Old 24-10-2022, 02:59   #41

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
It is possible that you and Jedi are "talking past" each other. Jedi is specifically talking about interference on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band. Microwave ovens often leak quite a bit of "noise" around that frequency. They will often shut down 2.4 GHz WiFi as well as Bluetooth (just above WiFi at 2.45 GHz).

If you are using something other than 2.4 GHz WiFi then you will not experience the interference Jedi is warning of.

Regardless of the WiFi band you are using, it is undeniably true that a properly wired Ethernet connection will outperform a WiFi connection regardless of the band. Whether or not that difference in performance will be noticed in a specific network will be determined by the actual data patterns in that network.

A properly designed wired Ethernet LAN will perform at its rated speed regardless of the number of devices on the network. Every device on the network will have full duplex access at line speed all of the time. The only real downside is running the wires. This can range from trivial to not feasible and may make a wired network in a specific situation a non-starter.

A properly designed WiFi network can give one device half duplex access to the WiFi network at a time. Every device added to the network increases the probability that two or more devices will want to access the network simultaneously causing delays to one or more of them. Compounding the problem is the fact that the devices don't have to be on your boat. Other boats using the same WiFi frequencies cause the same potential delays when you are in range.

I'm not saying that WiFi is never appropriate or that it is not appropriate for your application. I (and I believe Jedi) are saying that WiFi is much more likely to be a problem and wired networks (where feasible) are much less likely to be a problem.
Definitely true and I had to make some changes at home because the chess site I play on would drop out occasionally in the middle of games which meant automatic loss of those games.

So I ran a cable from the router to my computer instead of using the router's WiFi. No more problem.

Its an old Cat 5 cable but still better than WiFi. I believe I was on the 5 GHZ freq with the WiFi.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 03:46   #42
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Definitely true and I had to make some changes at home because the chess site I play on would drop out occasionally in the middle of games which meant automatic loss of those games.

So I ran a cable from the router to my computer instead of using the router's WiFi. No more problem.

Its an old Cat 5 cable but still better than WiFi. I believe I was on the 5 GHZ freq with the WiFi.

Like many things there are several reasons for wifi disconnects. Often it’s substandard equipment or poor installations. Often it’s bad configuration settings as well.

Very few people understand wifi at a protocol level so many end with these sub-optimal systems

I run my whole house , all room lights , heating , cooling etc via wifi , I’ve around 50 -60 devices on the wifi. I run several 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi APs each tailored to the services they are delivering. Each are connected to the 1Gbs fibre link to the home.

While the system had its teething problems once configured properly there are no dropouts or random disconnects.

Like everything it’s a knowledge issue /learning curve

Tags
nmea, yacht