Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2018, 08:39   #61

Boat: Bristol 32
Re: Wristwatches suitable for sailing, celestial navigation, anc scuba diving

to sail or rally or fly I love my Citizens Blue Angel Skyhawk. Fills all of the listed demands.
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:15   #62

maybe I am just "old school" but I think the best watch is a mechanical one... no batteries just the daily routine of winding your watch same time ... not only a routine (required) but but a little touch of control... my on board clock was windable, setable and above all adjustable to the second... loved that damn clock
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:16   #63

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Vintage Omega Seamaster

I have one and love it but it has now been relegated to a dress watch as my Citizen Eco drive dive watch keeps better time. But this whole thread has just made me order a Casio Protrek 2500. I'll let you know how I like it. Leaving for Africa in two days so I figured the ABC (altimeter, Barometer, Compass) functions could be useful. It also has tide tables but I will be in jungle
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:25   #64

Timex Expedition Scout.

Wal*Mart, Eugene, Oregon. US$26.

One year old. Worn daily on farm and boat.

It works. I forget it is on my arm.

I recommend.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:41   #65

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by I36guy View Post
Get a time hack from HF radio.

I believe that the broadcast HF time services are in the process of going away just as Shipcom did. If not now, then in a few years.

I am ending up with the conclusion that it's not worth spending the time and money to put together an HF system and learn to get good with it, because of the declining shoreside support. It's only going to get worse.

Quote:
Or, since you're into doing it "old school", just calculate the lunar distance to derive time.

I read up on lunars and understand that with the very best possible technique and equipment, under the most favorable conditions, an experienced navigator can shoot lunars with an accuracy of +/- one minute. While interesting, I'd rather have a good wristwatch.

Once you accept +/- one minute accuracy as good enough, there are all kinds of ways to get the time without resorting to lunars and without depending on GPS. Iridium handsets report the time to the nearest minute. You may pick up broadcast AM radio from time to time and catch a time announcement near the top of the hour. Any discount-store clock or watch will get you that close if you reset it before leaving port.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:45   #66

Boat: Swan 432

I 2nd the Rolex GMT recommendation and add the new Tudor GMT at 1/2 the price.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:52   #67

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I am very happy with my Casio protrek that I’ve had for 6-7 years solar powered. Time. Barometer. Solar power. Atomic updates. Compass. Tides. UTC time etc and waterproof enough for snorkeling.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 10:31   #68
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Shibumik-
You've been misinformed. Chronometers ARE individually certified. As are COSC watches, a newer version of the same standard. Breitling, Rolex, Omega, all will tell you the same thing, as does the Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_chronometer

The appellation "chronometer" on a watch face means that individual and specific watch has been tested in all six positions and, if necessary, repeatedly adjusted over a period of several weeks. My father's Omega does not say "Chronometer", even though it is the identical movement, because at that time the US distributor of the brand did not put the movements through that expensive testing procedure.

On Manhattan subways you will hear "Rolex, Rolex, ten dollar, ten dollar" from the peddlers. Once you pass the tunnels into Brooklyn or Queens, the same guy is offering the same goods for "fie dollah!". That's the only kind of Rolex you will get which is not a certified chronometer. Or one of the "homage" counterfeit companies elsewhere. If it was a recent watch and it did not come with the "Green Seal"....it was a counterfeit. Rolex watches are all COSC "Superlative Chronometers" now, according to them.

If you really want accuracy from any mechanical, or electromechanical, wristwatch, you have to let it break it, wear it regularly, and then ask your jeweler to adjust the rate of the watch. Chronometer or not, the movement is pulled by gravity. Wearing it on the left wrist versus the right, can make a difference of eight seconds a day (plus four, or minus four) just from the pull of gravity as your watch hangs "the other way". Putting a watch on the nightstand? Same problems, unless you've got one of the expensive "tourbillion" movements which are actually designed to resist gravitational effects in all three axis.

Digital watches simply don't have those problems. Even with hands, their "movements" are mainly just a stepper motor, regulated by the electronics.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 10:39   #69

Interesting thread. I was considering trying to build my own watch. My wish list was...

1) moving electro-mechanical hands - for the 99.999% of the time I'm not lost at sea this is just jewelry after all and I prefer the analog style

2) Solar recharging, or at least the battery should last 3+ years and there be a battery level/life indicator

3) Connects to phone over bluetooth to get GPS time updates and maybe to allow setting options when in range

4) When out of range of phone, tracks temperature to give "dead reckoning" time

5) pauses for 10s, beeps and lights up when you whistle at it, then resumes timekeeping.

6) lights up for 5s so that it can be read when you tap the watch face twice. Uses leds, no need for tritium or even lume

7) no buttons or crown. Completely sealed

8) about 42mm diameter, no more than 10mm thick

9) Sapphire crystal

10) nato band, strong pins

11) Alarm
sparkfunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 10:55   #70

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
There are several makers of watches with high-accuracy movements. They have thermal compensation and are more accurately rated during production. Error rates specified by manufacturers vary from +/- 20 seconds per year to +/- 5 seconds a year. Watch enthusiasts sometimes call these "HAQ" -- high-accuracy quartz -- movements. Posts on the watch enthusiast's boards indicate that most HAQ watches live up to these specifications and that manufacturers will repair the ones that do not under warranty.

There is also considerable variation depending on temperature. It affects watches of similar design similarly, and is the critical flaw in the approach of using 3 cheap watches and rating them.
I assumed as much about the HAQ watches but did not mention them for price reasons.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 11:50   #71

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not very interested in what time it is when I am under the boat. If I were, I would buy a dedicated scuba watch. Mares makes some pretty and not too big ones. Also Suunto makes very nice, flat, diving watches. They are $$ upwards but well worth the money.

In the cockpit anything does. My fave are USD15 Casios. Some USD +/-150 models are even more visually attractive.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 12:31   #72

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticmonkey View Post
maybe I am just "old school" but I think the best watch is a mechanical one... no batteries just the daily routine of winding your watch same time ... not only a routine (required) but but a little touch of control... my on board clock was windable, setable and above all adjustable to the second... loved that damn clock
Fine. As long as you recognise that the thread is about telling the time. Not wall hangings or wrist jewellery.

Further, when you refer to being able to set your mechanical clock to the second, where did you pick the time up from? Quartz timepiece? Atomic clock time signal? GPS?
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 14:47   #73

Boat: Northshore 38 & Norseman 447

Nothing mechanical is going to be + or - 10 seconds per year unless it's one of those strange accidents of balance that happen occasionally in the lives of avid watch people. And, of course, there's no guarantee that the mechanical watch which keeps perfect time if worn every day won't be something you can't wear in swimming in the sea.

Meanwhile, low end digital - that includes all the Casios I own - are not very accurate either. As some one said up-thread, their drift should be consistent but they will still stray several seconds a day. Then there's high end quartz. Yes, things like the 9F Seiko movements will be accurate but there's the cost and the fact they aren't designed for working a boat.

The qualities I value in a watch when aboard include accuracy, a slim form factor, lume that lasts many hours, allowing the time to be seen without me taking my hands off the wheel to fiddle with tiny buttons, ISO ratings for ruggedness and modest cost to ensure expendability.

My most accurate watch is a Seiko Kinetic - a.k.a. the BFK - which stores electrons in a capacitor rather than a battery. It's very accurate - perhaps not to your spec - but far, far better than the Casios. I would carry more than one watch on a trip but that's just me. Regardless, the BFK would be my ship time.
JohnAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 15:25   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post
Not to derail the thread, but many dive computers these days support multiple, independent gasses. My Oceanic OCi for instance does up to 4 transmitters, each programmed with their specific gasses.

One of the things you learn very quickly both cave diving and deco diving is absolute certainty that your breathing the right gas at the right time, even going so far as to cover the reg and or use different regs for different gases. And check and recheck before breathing off of a bottle, and every year someone does from breathing off of the wrong bottle.
You use a different gauge for each bottle, plus unlikely any tech Diver is going to rely on one computer with one battery to determine remaining gas supply.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 18:19   #75

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
One of the things you learn very quickly both cave diving and deco diving is absolute certainty that your breathing the right gas at the right time, even going so far as to cover the reg and or use different regs for different gases. And check and recheck before breathing off of a bottle, and every year someone does from breathing off of the wrong bottle.
You use a different gauge for each bottle, plus unlikely any tech Diver is going to rely on one computer with one battery to determine remaining gas supply.

Change comes slowly to the tech diving community.

Generally, the tech diving community is moving to rebreathers, which pose their own peculiar problems for integration with dive computers.

There are a handful of tech divers who embrace air-integrated computers in some way, for example, for bottom gas and maybe a stage, but not for deco.

The prevailing theory of SPG failure in tech diving is that if you have a failure of any SPG (AI or not), you turn the dive, and how much gas you have left no longer matters because it will not affect your decision making.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestial navigation, Cuba, diving, navigation, sail, sailing, scuba