Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 09:43   #1

Wiring behind the electronics panel

Hi,

I have this panel that is used to connect all the wires behind the electric panel:

does anyone know how to make sense out of it? what is this panel called? (so that I can google it) Is it pretty much every vertical line connected together? or do all the "-" mean ground?

Where do you press to insert or release the wire from each hole?

Thanks a lot!
A.
masterov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:56   #2

Re: Wiring behind the electronics panel

ok, I figured out how to release the wire: you put a pin into the adjacent square hole, to release the wire from the oval hole. The question about what is connected to what is still open. For example why is 1, 2, and 3 span two sections? are they interconnected? I would have to disconnect all wires to test it with the meter properly, and I don't want to risk it, if someone here knows the answer
Old 04-05-2017, 11:52   #3

The picture is not loading for me
sbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 13:19   #4

try this link, please: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bws...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04-05-2017, 13:47   #5

Never seen this one. A picture of the front of the panel may help identify it
sbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 13:58   #6

this is not the back of the panel, this is mounted behind the panel. Wires from the panel go to it, and from it to various instruments / devices / etc. The frustrating part is that I can't trace which wire goes where. For example I have a switch that says "Navigator" but I can't find what it activates
Old 04-05-2017, 14:52   #7

Someone spend some cash on the installation, industrial grade terminal strips, spring loaded contacts mean that vibration will l little effect on the termination.

They be good, you can get them in may configurations .... your looks ( hard to tell with out checking ) like all the terminals are common long the each block.

So ... terminal block (8) would have 4 wire terminals(connections) that are common to each other - a meter will tell you the rest of the story
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 15:43   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Panel make & model? Boat make, model, & year?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 15:59   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterov View Post
ok, I figured out how to release the wire: you put a pin into the adjacent square hole, to release the wire from the oval hole. The question about what is connected to what is still open. For example why is 1, 2, and 3 span two sections? are they interconnected? I would have to disconnect all wires to test it with the meter properly, and I don't want to risk it, if someone here knows the answer
Yes, normally you would expect all the wires in section 1 to be connected together, likewise with 2, 3 etc. All the ones with "-" are the negative bus ie. ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi2016 View Post
Someone spend some cash on the installation, industrial grade terminal strips, spring loaded contacts mean that vibration will l little effect on the termination.

They be good, you can get them in may configurations .... your looks ( hard to tell with out checking ) like all the terminals are common long the each block.

So ... terminal block (8) would have 4 wire terminals(connections) that are common to each other - a meter will tell you the rest of the story
^^ +1
Further to this, one would expect there is a wiring diagram somewhere showing all the terminal strip numbers and where the wires go.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 18:51   #10

looks to be DIN rail mounted terminal strip as stated above labeling is usually on the side of the terminal look to either end of the strip for a name.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:37   #11

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

As" Persistent" stated this is a DIN rail mounted terminal strip. Probably Weidmueller is the manufacturer. The left hand side with the - sign in the center of the terminal is your common negative bus. This is considered to be a junction box. By the numbered wires I see, they have used a multi conductor cable. I would expect to find another JB at some other place in the boat. I have used a lot of these in industry but not common on the average boat. I have to ask, how big is this boat?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:59   #12

Boat: Columbia 36

Time to get out the multimeter.... but I have to agree with one above. This type of spring connector is going to be prone to vibration and corrosion in a marine environment. Replace with screw terminal strips and good marine grade sealed crimp terminals.
mbath56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:30   #13

Boat: 1984 Mirage 27 (Perry)

The grey doesn't help much as a lot of manufacturers use the grey. It looks very similar to an Eaton "Spring Cage Terminal Block" or several other brands. But it is definitely for industrial use and not really designed for marine use. You should be able to find the manufacturer and part info on the flat surface end of one of the blocks (molded in fine print). One side will be an end cap and the other will be the end of a terminal block. It may have a stopper block in front of it though. I am in industrial automation and similar things like this are everywhere in panels.
Thuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 15:22   #14

Just to bring this to a close. @Wotname was correct: all the vertical holes are connected together. I also found a diagram, which can be deciphered to provide an explanation:

Not the most intuitive thing, but makes sense once you figure out how to read it.

The boat is a year 2000 X-Yachts X-412 @ UNCIVILIZED
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	152082  
Old 17-07-2017, 17:08   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ Good to hear that it is resolved

Regarding the wiring diagram, while it might not be very intuitive, it is very detailed and that is always a good thing. Every detail tells you some information and as you say, once you get the hang of reading it, it becomes quite informative.

Well done!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, wiring