Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 05:24   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
wiring antenna for ssb receiver

I have the Kaito KA1103 SSB receiver. It has the small 1/8" mini jack for an external antenna. I have an alligator clip I want to clamp to one of my stays as an antenna. Do I connect to the inner terminal or the outer ring or both on the 1/8" plug?

Thanks
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:12   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: wiring antenna for ssb receiver

I suggest the inner, if the background receiver noise (static) increases a little then your external antenna is definitely working. If not, try the other combinations, you can't damage the radio this way.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57   #3

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
I have the Kaito KA1103 SSB receiver. It has the small 1/8" mini jack for an external antenna. I have an alligator clip I want to clamp to one of my stays as an antenna. Do I connect to the inner terminal or the outer ring or both on the 1/8" plug?

Thanks

I have basically the same question. The external antenna that came with my Kaito is made from very flimsy wire that seems like it would tangle easily. I noticed that the 1/8" plug on it is a mono plug as it has a single black band (stereo plugs have 2). I have a ketch rig and the PO installed insulators to the triatic stay so while the spars were down this winter I ran a length of 12 awg tinned single conductor wire up the mizzen with plans to clamp an uninsulated section of the wire to the insulated segment of the triatic stay hoping all this would create a better antenna. At the bottom end of the wire I intend to solder on a new 1/8" mono plug. I have the plug and my question is which of the two connection points on the plug do I connect the wire to? Or would it make any sense to split the wire and solder to both points?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Connect to the pointy end of the plug.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:21   #5

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Connect to the pointy end of the plug.

Thanks! Very excited to get this rig working as my spars have been down all winter and I cant seem to get reception on my Kaito at the house even with the external ant. I think there is just too much interference with houses and stuff around.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna