Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 07:13   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Wireless networking question

I recently installed a Raymarine E95 MFD. It comes with wireless networking capabilities. After doing the installation, when I tried to connect to the internet, the display sends me a message that it is unable to connect. I called Raymarine and they indicated that it is a known defect affecting some wireless networks (especially European, we are on the French side of St Martin). BUT… I would still like to be able to see my position and charts on my Iphone or Ipad at the helm station. Could I set up a 12v wireless router and create my own wireless network onboard even if it is not connected to the internet? Would it have the functionality to communicate with my MFD and phone/pad? There wouldn’t be any internet off shore anytime!
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:22   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Wireless networking question

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post

... I called Raymarine and they indicated that it is a known defect affecting some wireless networks (especially European, we are on the French side of St Martin). ...
Sure pigs fly. If Raymarine 'technicians' tell you it is a known defect affecting European networks, ask them to refund their shmok equipment and buy something from a company that does know better.

I am sorry this reply does not solve your problem. But without Raymarine gods explaining in what the apparent problem consist, one cannot tell how to treat the challenge.

BTW If all you want is see your boat on your i-Things, simply switch their internal gps positioning on. Nearly all mobile devices have gps chips built in. You do not need a wireless network for this.

BTW2 Yes. It is possible to set up an alternative wifi network onboard. Yes. It can be done with a plain wifi router. No, this is not what you will do (unless you are a keen and able network / software passionate). What you do is buy a ready made solution from one of many vendors.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:43   #3

Boat: Hylas 54

On my system, I don't need to connect to the Internet. You turn on the chartplotter and it is a wifi router. Turn on your iphone or ipad and go to the wifi settings and you'll see a raymarine wifi router. Select that and enter the password you set on the raymarine unit. The phone or pad will connect to that and you can use the rayview app to see your chartplotter. You shouldn't need any internet access.
Old 21-02-2017, 10:28   #4

Boat: longing for a trimaran

Wi-Fi does not equal internet. You connect to a network wirelessly using Wi-Fi. The network you are connected to may or may not have access to the internet.
tatomaceda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 11:36   #5

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

My A series raymarine talk nicely to my iPad but I can't connect it to a wifi internet router and therefore the Internet. Same message as above it sees the router and you put the connect password it and it errors
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 21:28   #6

you are confusing 2 different things.

you can use the plotter as a client. and connect to the internet for software updates etc.

or you can use the plotter as a server. it is the wifi network. you connect your phone to the plotter network. then run ray app to see it. no internet or other wifi is used or needed.

you choose which one is being used.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 21:34   #7

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Connecting the plotter to the Internet for software updates etc is the problem. The plotter does not like to connect to my wifi hotspot.

It does however communicate well with my phone and iPad to run the ray view apps
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote