Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2021, 22:21   #46

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93
Re: wireless masthead wind instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1404 View Post
No, as you said now part of Raymarine. I think that Raymarine only bought Tactic for their wireless technology.
And it still kindof "seperate" to the rest of Raymarine stuff. There is a gateway, but you need the specific screens to run the sensors. Not PnP
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:42   #47

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hallo Slovak In the USA you have Defender amongst others selling TackTic

https://www.defender.com/raymarine-w...nstruments.jsp
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:20   #48

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn33 View Post
Hallo Slovak In the USA you have Defender amongst others selling TackTic

https://www.defender.com/raymarine-w...nstruments.jsp
John
Thanks for that pointer. Ironically, the packages offered are bundled with the i50/60/70 instruments and not the Ticktock displays; buying each separately adds up to a hefty investment.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:44   #49

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi Slovak:- Would it be worth your trying a phone call or text to ask for cheaper options? The main Raymarine site may be more responsive. Good luck.
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:50   #50

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovak View Post
Thanks for that pointer. Ironically, the packages offered are bundled with the i50/60/70 instruments and not the Ticktock displays; buying each separately adds up to a hefty investment.
The packages you linked to are not wireless (Tacktick).

Here: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1355632

PS We have Tacktick system (since 2011) and like it (so far...).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:29   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
The packages you linked to are not wireless (Tacktick).

Here: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1355632

PS We have Tacktick system (since 2011) and like it (so far...).
This looks like what I have as well. With mine, the displays connect wirelessly, as does the anemometer (linking to the display). The hull transducer is wired to the hull transmitter, which then transmits the data wirelessly to the displays.
Old 14-02-2021, 08:36   #52

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtjp View Post
As an owner of the latest Sailtimer system, I would strongly, strongly, encourage you to look at other alternatives. I've had blessedly few truly bad experiences with sailing gear, but this experience, both in performance and customer service, was beyond terrible. I would be happy to share my email chain with the company (the only form of communications) with you through other channels. The company's response to the many issues I experienced was to either deny the problems existed or to blame every problem on the owner.

EXACTLY my experiences. Hundreds of dollars spent for worthless pieces of junk. It appears to be a one man company with little engineering knowledge who refuses to admit when the product is defective.

I too have numerous emails I'm willing to share that shows Mr. Craig Summers incompetence. I also researched his lack of engineering education or job experiences.
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 10:44   #53

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I did not read all replies admittedly. I would hazard a guess that wireless might protect you from lightning coming down a wire. I have a cheap weather station mounted 70' from the house. Works like a charm after 3 years. It could be a throw away @ about $150.
Re: my own post. It is ACURITE. The outdoor unit is probably not what you would want but the wireless has been flawless as has been the small solar panel keeping the batteries charged. For what it might be worth, it might be worthwhile contacting them and inquiring about their products.
Surely someone must make something as reliable for the mast head when they can at that price.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 04:36   #54

Boat: 45' SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
I'm about to install a B&G wireless this month. I will update everyone here with installation and use details afterwards.

I went with B&G wireless because even though it's a relatively new product, bluetooth isn't new tech and what few reviews I could find included several people who actually installed the bluetooth antenna inside at their nav station with good results.

I decided to base my electronics around Vesper AIS wi-fi and NMEA2k backbone for redundancy. Wind will be the "weak link" that depends on wireless only, but if it dies, I'll simply use the Mk1 eyeball on the old $30 wind indicator and reef early.

I'm going to experiment with places for the antenna and I'll let everyone know. I hope to install it Wednesday.
Does anyone feedback on a B&G install? I'm about to install a WS320 on my 60 ft mast and am hoping I can keep the wireless hub below deck. I'll be able to test it, of course, by walking the wind sensor around the boat before putting at the masthead. But just curious if anyone has any tips. I've read a number of posts on various forums that it does not need to be line of sight and seems to work mounted inside.
Downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 07:29   #55

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster View Post
Does anyone feedback on a B&G install?
I installed the B&G this season. I really would prefer wired, but I was concerned about the wire pull. As it turns out, there have been no problems. I’ve basically forgotten it is wireless.

That said, I had mixed feelings about the install. The printed instructions for pairing the BT are not clear, and we called B&G support, who had us try very specific things about the order of turning on the system and inserting the battery. In the end they concluded we had a bad unit, and we had to get WM to send us a new on (B&G would have, but they were out of stock). Once the new unit arrived, everything went smoothly.

I should add, B&G was initially hesitant to declare the unit broken, because apparently they have a lot of trouble with people who can’t follow simple instructions. When it became clear we were really doing the things their phone support asked, they were very nice about taking care of it.
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 07:56   #56

Boat: 45' SV

[QUOTE=DanielI;3450137]I installed the B&G this season. I really would prefer wired, but I was concerned about the wire pull. As it turns out, there have been no problems. I’ve basically forgotten it is wireless.....

Thanks. I really debated between wired and wireless also. I think wireless technology was not mature enough a few years ago for harsh marine environments. But might be ready today - fingers crossed. For me the I like wireless because it eliminates the 20 meters of sensitive data cable traveling through the boat and all the way up the mast. Wireless data just seems like an elegant approach to the problem.

Where did you mount the wireless hub? Above or below deck?
Downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 08:37   #57

Boat: Allmand 31

Re: NASA Marine Clipper Wireless Wind Display Unit with MHU & Data Box
I have had this wireless display here in Miami, FL for five years now,
and it has been through several Tropical storms and one near hurricane.
And steer to the wind with my Raymarine autopilot NMEA 2000 (SeaTalk NG) with a NMEA converter (Actisense.com).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12281489117...gAAOSwBOReqSRy
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:20   #58

Boat: Prout Quest 33CS, 33ft, "Cat-a-tonic"

I managed to drop a 2012 Tacktick T120 wind transponder from the masthead to the deck. The vane and wind cups survived but one of the 2 solar panels cracked. One panel still gives about 2.8v but the cracked panel only 0.3v. Anybody know a source for replacement panels (25mm x 20mm 3v)? Googled but no joy yet.
Cat-a-tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:21   #59

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-a-tonic View Post
I managed to drop a 2012 Tacktick T120 wind transponder from the masthead to the deck. The vane and wind cups survived but one of the 2 solar panels cracked. One panel still gives about 2.8v but the cracked panel only 0.3v. Anybody know a source for replacement panels (25mm x 20mm 3v)? Googled but no joy yet.
Contact Raymarine directly. They bought this product out in 2011.
The are usually very good at helping. In fact, my rudder indicator went and they sent me a freebee..Call us on +1 603 324 7900 or Toll Free +1 800 539 5539
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 21:53   #60

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-a-tonic View Post

If you can´t get the original part, it might be an idea to look at the small panels of cheap solar garden lights.

Regards,

-Richard (VK4WRS)

Tags
head, mast, men, rum, wind