Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 07:51   #31

Boat: Bayliner Buccaneer 295
Re: wireless masthead wind instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtjp View Post
As an owner of the latest Sailtimer system, I would strongly, strongly, encourage you to look at other alternatives. I've had blessedly few truly bad experiences with sailing gear, but this experience, both in performance and customer service, was beyond terrible. I would be happy to share my email chain with the company (the only form of communications) with you through other channels. The company's response to the many issues I experienced was to either deny the problems existed or to blame every problem on the owner.
Definitely agree with the above post. As a previous owner of a unit just before this one came out, you'll find out why the battery is replaceable now. Hopefully the bearings are better....? Mine didn't last 2 weeks. Another discussion here from the CnC forum.

https://cnc-list.com/empathy/thread/KFTH33QU5ZX57QBENOLPVNEC6KHWOP3V
BULLITT1829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 07:51   #32

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

I forgot to mention, the masthead unit has a small rechargeable battery, powered by a small solar panel (2"x1") on the unit. So far, 6+ months, always worked fine.
The masthead unit is clipped into its mast-base, easy to remove when a storm is coming (but for going up the mast).
gertonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:17   #33

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latecomer View Post
Ahoy!

Greetings to all..

I'm currently in the market for wireless masthead wind instrument after jigging around with my 50yr old Keyon AW-100..incidently, I have replaced the masthead wiring inside the mast but decided to go wireless, partially due to time constraint, and also because the mast is no longer in a convenient position for me to work on it - mast is now secured horizontally across the top of cabin for transport.

Based on the foregoing, I have decided to explore the wireless option, and I just stumbled across "Sailtimer", however, like most of the other wireless wind instruments on the market, it is very pricey.

Here is a link to the wireless masthead "Sailtimer" wind instrument:

https://electroeshop.com/index.php?r...duct_id=730525

Question: Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this particular unit or in general with the wireless wind instruments?? If so, I will be more than happy to hear about.
Been using TACKTICK WIRELESS INSTRUMENTS for about 8 yrs now, never had a problem. They are a bit pricey(maybe for a reason?) but I picked mine up at a boat show at a price way under the wired systems.. The masthead is solar-powered and has yet to fail. Read Units are also solar-powered and hold a long charge. Just my experience with this product.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 10:46   #34

I repair quite a few of these instruments and find it is a rare sailor who has an accurate, working wind instrument. Lightning, water entry, UV damage to plastic parts, and failed wiring are the main culprits. Boatyards are also a hazard as they are often required to disconnect and or remove the masthead unit and its wiring in order to work on the mast and they never seem to notice they have just smashed something.

The track record for wireless is mostly about linking dropouts because they rely on bluetooth which is low power and not always easy to link. Otherwise they would have considerable advantage but the industry does not seem to be there yet.
thlamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:30   #35
jha

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423 (42ft)

I inherited the Tacktick now Raymarine system. The 3rd masthead sender unit stopped working at the end of last season and I will have to replace it this year. I cannot recommend this system. Require solar power so night sailing might be an issue.
jha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:35   #36

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jha View Post
Tacktick now Raymarine system....Require solar power so night sailing might be an issue.
We've done many overnights and multi-night trips... no issue with masthead transmitter.

However, for/during night trips we do hookup 12 volts to the cockpit displays (easy to do).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 05:47   #37

Boat: Gulfstar 41

I replaced my Kenyon masthead unit with the TackTic wireless unit and it has worked flawlessly for 10 years. I bought the smaller of the two models (advertised for boats of 30 feet), but couldn't find any real reason to go to the more expensive model. I highly recommend it.
lewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 08:30   #38

Boat: Prout Quest 33CS, 33ft, "Cat-a-tonic"

I've been running Tacktick wireless instrumentation since 2010 and they were second hand then. Also a Tacktick wireless masthead wind transponder which was new in 2011 after a dismasting lost the old second hand one.

The only problems I've had are:
1. Rechargeable batteries eventually failing and Raymarine charging a fortune for replacement kits. Do it yourself for a fraction of the cost if you can find a source of replacement batteries (getting increasingly difficult).
2. The masthead unit suffers interference from mobile phone masts (line of site). Mine won't connect until I'm half a mile down river from my home marina.
Cat-a-tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:06   #39

Boat: Tayana 37

I'm about to install a B&G wireless this month. I will update everyone here with installation and use details afterwards.

I went with B&G wireless because even though it's a relatively new product, bluetooth isn't new tech and what few reviews I could find included several people who actually installed the bluetooth antenna inside at their nav station with good results.

I decided to base my electronics around Vesper AIS wi-fi and NMEA2k backbone for redundancy. Wind will be the "weak link" that depends on wireless only, but if it dies, I'll simply use the Mk1 eyeball on the old $30 wind indicator and reef early.

I'm going to experiment with places for the antenna and I'll let everyone know. I hope to install it Wednesday.
Old 23-01-2021, 13:56   #40

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

I installed a B&G wireless wind in 2019. Really pleased. No drop outs, even in the marina with lots of other wifi devices around.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 20:49   #41

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanX View Post
Hi Latecomer, it depend how tick is your wallet, I did find a unit HY-WDC2E on Alibaba at us $139.00 + shipping of course it is a wire unit. I am a fan of OpenCPN and looking at the moment to integrate an Ultrasonic wind SP/DIR. As well you could spend lot more money to get the same data on product like Calypso, Airmar, DavisPro, LCJ Capteurs, Openwind...etc. I suppose you could replace the MCU in the unit for an ESP module and here you have your Wifi or BLE. Good luck for your project. Here are some interesting URL to look at:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...673b151a019Ijo

https://faire-ca-soi-meme.fr/domotiq...ction-du-vent/
Very interested if you have this working with OpenCPN
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 17:34   #42

Boat: 2005 Hunter 44AC

I have a Garmin GWind. It was already on the boat when I bought it. It frequently disconnects. Most of the time, in fact. New battery did not help. Newer version is a different technology and is not compatible. It will be replaced next month with a wired model.
jackert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 13:06   #43

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
search hard...
I recall scathing personal reviews of sailtimer...
e. g.,
but best to collect reliable reviews.
Stay away from SailTimer. I lost $hundreds on a unit they could not make work and wanted me to keep paying for international shipping to send it back for yet another try. I know other people with similar experiences.

Ken
===
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 21:11   #44

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Many positive experiences with TikTok instruments, which are now Raymarine. Are these still on the market, as I can't find any reference on their site.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 21:56   #45

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovak View Post
Many positive experiences with TikTok instruments, which are now Raymarine. Are these still on the market, as I can't find any reference on their site.
No, as you said now part of Raymarine. I think that Raymarine only bought Tactic for their wireless technology.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast, men, rum, wind