Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 00:45   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Wireless Mast Accessories

I am in the process of completely re-doing my mast. Wondering about wireless solutions for lights and even radar. My first thought is that hard wire is best but wonder if anyone has done this.
Thanks
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 20:17   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Wireless Mast Accessories

I'd steer clear of any wireless options for mission and safety critical equipment.

Do it once and do it right. Less hassle in the long run.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 20:40   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

Two things have happened since I built my boat in 1987, the wiring conduits have all filled up as I installed more equipment and LED lighting technology has matured.

I am considering rewiring with two loops, a nav loop and a house loop. each appliance would be switched at the appliance using Mosfets as switches and a data cable would be run with the loops to allow switching from the main panel.

The arrangement detailed above would also allow wireless switching if low cost reliable switches become available. One could start with non mission critical functions and switch to wireless if or when reliable switches had proved themselves.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 00:24   #4

Thank you for your input. I have a lot of research left to do. Spent many years in the computer network biz going back to the 80's and have watched wireless technology mature. As I stated, my first impulse is to trust hard wire but wireless is very tempting. I have seen some wireless radar units offered. Any experience with those? i.e. Furuno 1st Watch. I don't intend to do any off shore cruising with this boat. Inland waters in PNW which I sailed for decades with no radar. I have an old Furuno now which needs replacing.
Any random thoughts welcome.
Old 07-04-2016, 00:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Two things have happened since I built my boat in 1987, the wiring conduits have all filled up as I installed more equipment and LED lighting technology has matured.

I am considering rewiring with two loops, a nav loop and a house loop. each appliance would be switched at the appliance using Mosfets as switches and a data cable would be run with the loops to allow switching from the main panel.

The arrangement detailed above would also allow wireless switching if low cost reliable switches become available. One could start with non mission critical functions and switch to wireless if or when reliable switches had proved themselves.
What brand Mosfets switches are you looking at?
Old 07-04-2016, 05:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Thank you for your input. I have a lot of research left to do. Spent many years in the computer network biz going back to the 80's and have watched wireless technology mature. As I stated, my first impulse is to trust hard wire but wireless is very tempting. I have seen some wireless radar units offered. Any experience with those? i.e. Furuno 1st Watch. I don't intend to do any off shore cruising with this boat. Inland waters in PNW which I sailed for decades with no radar. I have an old Furuno now which needs replacing.
Any random thoughts welcome.
No matter the data path you will need power 12vdc wire) to a radar unit. They consume just too much juice.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:47   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm thinking issue with wire size now with LED's is more strength than current carrying capability, you should be able to run a very small gauge multi strand wire to power, anchor, running, deck and even spreader lights, freeing up a lot of room.
I've myself been looking at the new Raymarine version of the Tac Tic wireless instruments, Radar I think I would still want hard wired, I have my B&G wireless capable I guess you would call it via their Go Free wireless, and the resolution of it on my Ipad is pretty poor, I would assume it's a bandwidth issue? Plus I want a "real" marine waterproof display, Ipad is nice too, just don't want it being primary

Oh, and I'm not so experienced, but to me it seems inshore is where you need a Radar and AIS etc., not so much offshore?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
No matter the data path you will need power 12vdc wire) to a radar unit. They consume just too much juice.
True, but the few wires the better.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm thinking issue with wire size now with LED's is more strength than current carrying capability, you should be able to run a very small gauge multi strand wire to power, anchor, running, deck and even spreader lights, freeing up a lot of room.
I've myself been looking at the new Raymarine version of the Tac Tic wireless instruments, Radar I think I would still want hard wired, I have my B&G wireless capable I guess you would call it via their Go Free wireless, and the resolution of it on my Ipad is pretty poor, I would assume it's a bandwidth issue? Plus I want a "real" marine waterproof display, Ipad is nice too, just don't want it being primary

Oh, and I'm not so experienced, but to me it seems inshore is where you need a Radar and AIS etc., not so much offshore?
You have a point but my sailing is done in areas I know well and am not forced to sail in fog or at night. Definitely would want radar offshore. Big ships at night in fog are of concern when no option for holing up are available.

Tags
mast