Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 01:37   #31

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsailor View Post
And yes, not sure how open the software will be now.
(Allegedly) the spec will be open, so it's really only a question of time until someone will get pskmail to do it
Old 02-02-2010, 06:38   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Chris:

I have the ts-480 without the tuner (with 200W !!). It is the perfect radio for a boat. I use the SGC-230 tuner with it and either a Shakespear vertical whip (23' or so) or I hoist a 50' wire with a halyard. This combo is like magic. I think I have two options for the radio: a narrow filter and the digital recorder option. That last one works like a cockpit recorder and I can "rewind" the reception of say a weather forecast when I want to hear that sentence I missed again.

My unit is opened for use on all bands incl. marine SSB. I know it isn't legal to use it for marine SSB but I have also never heard of any trouble related to that.

The console of the radio uses just a modular cord (6-conductor RJ-12) and the microphone an 8-conductor RJ-45. You can extend those easily and the console is so small that I move it around the boat like between nav-station and pilothouse.

A big part why this is such a good radio is it's DSP processor. I can copy transmissions where others only hear noise like loud beeps etc. I hear the same nothingness until I dial in my DSP to suppress the noise. This feature alone often makes me the "relay-guy" on the cruiser nets because I am the only one copying that boat that's underway.

But you must realize that it is a HAM radio meaning it has a lot of controls and buttons compared to a marine SSB and you really need to learn how to use them before you get better results than a good marine SSB radio.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 15:46   #33

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Nick, do you find the whip antenna adequate? I would love to go this route. Would I benefit from mounting the whip atop my mizzen mast? Last question; why is it illegal to have the Marine SSB unlocked if you have a HAM license?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 21:50   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Chris,

You can't mount that whip atop your mizzen... it's 23' long and needs a support bracket a couple of feet above the base anyway. Our's is mounted on the stern and you can put the upper bracket on the pushpit (we have it on the radar arch).

Yes, this type of antenna works very well, at least as good as an insulated backstay. I made several very long range contacts with it like from the Caribbean to Portugal, Italy, Greece, Holland, Germany, Russia, Japan and Australia. There's no limit.

Make sure it is vertical (not macho raked back) because that would make it directional.
We have the Shakespear that comes in two parts. Before that we had the version with 3 parts but that one failed in a hurricane (I could have fixed it though). The 2-part version is much stronger.

What I mean with unlocking is unlocking a HAM radio for use on marine bands, not the other way around. The TS-480 is a HAM radio and it isn't supposed to transmit on marine bands because it isn't type-approved for that. It is legal on marine bands in emergencies only (we use it regularly on marine bands though, but I have a marine SSB too). You can have it unlocked when you buy it (for free that is). Also make sure they unlock the receiver so that you can receive the full 0-50 MHz. That is the "International" setting.

I would buy this again if I had the choice. I like Kenwood much MUCH better than Icom... the manual is so much better... that alone would make me choose Kenwood over Icom any day. But make sure you get a good tuner for it. You need that SGC SG-230 smart tuner... the cheaper types don't handle the power of this radio (I think they are all up to 100W and the SG-230 is either 200W or 500W, something like that). The tuner cost almost as much as the radio . . .

ciao!
Nick.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:05   #35

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Thank you Nick! I'm learning. BTW, have you all heard "Radio Widow" by Eileen Quinn? She sings about losing her husband to the SSB and it's REALLY FUNNY!!! See here: Amazon.com: Radio Widow: Eileen Quinn: MP3 Downloads

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:53   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes I know that song... it's in my music library ;-)

I think there's a hidden HAM in 50% of all men and in 10% of all woman. The problem is that it needs a big chunk of commitment to actually becoming a real HAM and that is the reason there are only a few out there. In 7 years Caribbean I met less than 5 cruisers that I would call a HAM of which one is actually running a Winlink node on the boat (Bernie in Trini).

ciao!
Nick.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51   #37

To help with the installation of WINMOR RMS Express, also definitely read the very excellent Winmor Primer here. (Takes a little while to download.)

http://www.winlink.org/webfm_send/109
Hamsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:41   #38

Easy Download WINMOR RMS Express

Hi All,

The WINMOR RMS Express software is now available for download
on the Winlink 2000 website.

Look for RMS Express Full install 0.4.2.0.zip
Also download A Winmor Primer.pdf (Takes a little time to download)
Also read the RMS Express "Help" file.

See more WINMOR information here:

WINMOR--A New HF Transmission Protocol for Winlink 2000 | Winlink 2000
Old 16-03-2010, 22:08   #39

Latest Winmor RMS Express version.

The latest version of Winmor RMS Express is always available here:

Look for RMS Express xxxx Full Install.zip

If it does not automatically renew after RMS Express startup, you might have to uninstall your old version, then download and reinstall the new version.

To uninstall:
Click on Start,
My Computer,
Control panel,
Add or Remove Programs
Remove RMS Express Setup.

To download: http://www.winlink.org/WINMOR
Old 21-04-2010, 19:22   #40

Download and READ A Winmor Primer.pdf from the above link.
Or here A Winmor Primer.pdf (wait for the download).
Follow the instructions.

Winmor (RMS Expresss) now has CAT Rig Control for your radio.
Email connections over 3600 NM away have been done !
Speeds between Pactor 2 and Pactor 3 have been achieved.
It is still FREE, unless you want to donate something.

Tags
radio