Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 18:20   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Windows: 7 or 10???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Neither.

I switched to Ubuntu a couple of years ago and never looked back.

Ubuntu is just one of the popular mainstream Linux distributions, but I like it so I haven't really checked out other distributions recently.

I do have to work with Windows every now and again, which usually results in a serious case of TRA (Technology Related Anger) within half an hour
Since you're a user (and true believer I think ) can you confirm or deny my Linus concerns? I don't doubt that it's stable, efficient and all that, but from what I think I know, there is a learning curve to get it installed, configured and all your software working. Also possibly an issue with drivers if you add extra hardware.

Now if you would volunteer to fly over and set up a system for me I would jump right on the Linux bandwagon.

PS. I have experienced TRA more than once in the past. I blame Bill Gates.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:24   #17

For the OP:

There has been some good discussion of this issue on this forum. Do one of the Google searches for Windows 10 or W10. There are a bunch.

Most of the issues have been discussed right in this topic, and they include speed, which seems no different.

The biggest issue for cruisers is internet updates and drivers for whatever peripherals you may have, like your handy dandy GPS puck.

So do some more research, the info is out there.

Good luck.

PS - my 2 cents is that if it ain't blazingly better, and you have everything working, why switch? I run XP on my desktop. They stopped supporting it a while ago, but it still works. W7 on my laptop with a number of different nav programs and a BU353 puck. Based on input from this great forum, I've turned off the W10 update crap, indeed, I've turned off Windows updates and check them once a month manually - save a lot of memory, especially for laptops.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:31   #18

Here's that link:

Windows 10 Update Cancel

From cruisersforum.com

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-149627-2.html

Post #27 page 2:

Here is a solution that will suit whoever has W7. This only applies if you have not already accepted W10.

The updates giving you trouble are
2952664 and 3035583

Search your updates and delete both. At the same time convert your update system to 100% manual. Both updates will return but at least you can ignore them.

Originally Posted by Nicholson58 [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Stu/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
I "UPDATED" to 7 because XP was no longer supported. Not only do they require updates, You cannot own the new office suit. My old OFFICE will not load by their $$ extraction plan. You must rent it now by the year. I suppose that when it expires while you are at sea, you will be incapacitated. I am so angry with their exploitation of the customer base. What a business plan. I may be going raspberry pie/Linux or re-loading 95, 98, XP and Office. Perhaps Mac. I think I am done with Mr. Gates knows best etc.
Re Office:

I deal a lot with MS Office of various flavours. IMO, Office 2013 is a classic example of enforcing the "cloud" upon end users whether they want it or not. Furthermore, it is also the most troublesome of all recent Office releases, seemingly suffering a range of gremlins not generally found in earlier versions.

Also don't forget the licensing model has changed. Subscription is indeed pushed, but if purchased outright the license is strictly for a single PC and cannot be transferred forever more to another PC as per the EULA (although this can be gotten around with some hassle). Earlier versions of Office are far less restrictive on use.

My advice if you're stuck with MS Office is to buy Office 2010 or 2007 from Ebay. There's still plenty of unopened genuine versions available at very good prices.

Better still, 99% of users of MS Office do not need to use MS Office. Try one of the many free variants instead like Open Office or Libre Office. Cost is zip and unless you're into macros or documents connected to data sources or MS Access databases or complex MS Office specific documents you'll barely skip a beat in the change over. There's no Outlook, but again plenty of free Email clients abound e.g. Thunderbird.

While your at it, chuck out Acrobat Reader DC. It phones home too, and plenty of lightweight alternatives are available like Sumatra PDF Reader that again will do 99% of what you require without the bloat and phone home "features".

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:32   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Thanks all.

My take so far, Win 7 or Win 10 will both do the job and Win 10, with one exception, seems to be free from annoyances. Also, seems like upgrading from 7 to 10 is not always painless so I'll stick with whatever OS comes on the machine I end up with.

The Mac would be nice but will stick with a Windows machine for a couple of reasons. First, there are some things I've found that won't run on a Mac and my IT friends all use Windows systems so I would give up my free tech support. Also I can buy a similar Windows machine for about half of what a Mac would cost. Maybe when I win the lottery or don't have boat stuff to buy.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:34   #20

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
but from what I think I know, there is a learning curve to get it installed, configured and all your software working. Also possibly an issue with drivers if you add extra hardware.
That was very much was the case, and I for one never had the patience to deal with all that

But these days, Ubuntu is pretty much 'plug and play' - or better, 'install and go'. And even if there is something to install, you can usually do it with a few clicks without even knowing how Linux works.
Installing comes down to "insert DVD > enter some basic info > get coffee > use computer".
A lot of my friends are now running Ubuntu, none of them very 'tech savvy' and a lot of different computers / systems, but none of them ran into any issues.

If you can download Ubuntu and burn it on a DVD, you can even take it for a test drive without installing it. It'll run a lot slower like that, but it's a good way to have a sneak peek before installing.

It looks a little different to Windows, so that might take a little getting used to, but that should be all.
Edit: oh look, there's even a tour: http://tour.ubuntu.com/en/

Even my mom, well into her 70's, made the switch from Windows to Ubuntu without any trouble. She has no clue what a 'terminal' is or even what Linux is, but it doesn't matter anymore with the newer versions (We're both on 14.04)
Old 22-02-2016, 07:29   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

If you get a preloaded machine GET PRO. I recently bought a nice laptop with Win 10, but it is the 'Home' edition. It won't connect to my other machines, including a Win 10 Pro because the LAN part is ham-strung in the 'Home' edition. Also be aware they tend to come preloaded with a ton of useless trash apps. I'm still trying to clean my laptop of all the 'free trial' versions of junk I don't want and the nag-ware that I should buy MS Office. (I use Open Office)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 07:30   #22

8 was a complete fail, so they brought out 10 to replace it. But the explanation for 8's failure was more than simply being a rubbish OS, it was that 7 was so good.

My answer, 7
Old 22-02-2016, 07:49   #23

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

I just completely reverted to 7. 10 was fine but chrome stopped working after 3 months. Read chrome won't work with 10 because something about the way the files are compressed? Others say It works, but after 3 months stopped working complained, got it back but stopped again so without chrome I was limited. I use Google on phone and tablet so it is used a lot. What really did it was some of my tools, like my action cam, wouldn't work on 10. So I had to dump It all and reload like a new computer. Love having 7 back. So that's my story . IMHO I'm with 7 until updates for tools and such and chrome working. Hope it helps.
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 07:50   #24

Boat: Robalo R245
Unhappy Re: Windows: 7 or 10???

I've heard rumors from industry insiders that when MS gets as many people switched over to windows 10 as they can, it's going to become an annual subscription product to continue to use it.
kimden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 07:56   #25

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

I have about 10 computers, both laptops and desktops running at our office. All have now been switched over to Windows 10. There were a few problems wigth other programs who had not completed their own updates for Windows 10 and therefore didn't function. Norton was one of those. All is working well now and does seem faster.

I have not adapted to the use of Windows Edge as a browser though and switched back to IE 11. Have a few crashes there, but always did when I have multiple windows up.

I guess I'd have to give Windows 10 a
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 07:59   #26
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

i had a superb 2 year old power-user desktop running Windows 7. Got tired of the Win10 nag and thought, free? OK. Disaster.
worked fine for two weeks. then all the "apps" like Outlook, Word, Edge started to decompose. the word that comes to mind is that the app freezes and hangs, then "melts" as the last screen of the user interface slowly degrades. Go to the support forums and you will find 50,000+++ posts of enraged and confused Win10 victims. It seems that some installs will automatically corrupt the Windows apps, partly with the automatic updates in the background. Windows admits it has no idea what is wrong and is very apologetic, but their only fix is to create a new user account and start over, then reinstall and re-copy all of your stuff from your old corrupted user file and hope it works for another 2 or 3 weeks.

Yes you must be Logged On to Mother MS all the time now. Windows 10 is all about them stopping piracy, which I don't blame them, but their engineering is woefully inadequate and it's not like they weren't making huge profits already.

the constant nag messages, the effort to push you to their sky drive or whatever they call it, is truly bothersome.

I had to go buy a MacBookPro so I could troubleshoot my formerly excellent desktop. Now I've become an Apple convert although I found a workaround for my Windows10 machine (run Outlook or Word as Administrator - an additional layer of right-clicking).

it's easier just to work on the MacBook now.

PS I have used computers since Basic+ and CPM, and used DOS from V1.5 all the way through the Microsoft world. They have lost me now after 30+ years.
Old 22-02-2016, 08:03   #27

Boat: Sea Ray 270

I usually run 3 computers simultaneously all day long. One is a Windows 7 laptop, and two desk tops are Win 8 (which I wish were 7 as well, but thats how it goes). I switched over to Windows 10 on all of them and in 2 weeks switched back. Why? Several reasons. 1. The performance is not as good on Win 10 as 7. Do a search online and you will find many individuals who agree with me. Now mind you, I have an optimized for performance 7 install and most people do not go the extra mile that myself and other geeks do to enhance performance. 2. Windows 10 takes a lot of control out of your hands and makes it automatic, for instance updates, which another person here mentioned earlier. 3. Ads, none on 7, Windows 10 has them. 4. Problems with drivers for some software, etc. Sure, MS will probably fix them eventually but that's just it. You ahve to wait on MS to do it at their convenience. Win 7 and to some extent Win 8 I can go in and make my own mods if need be.
Bottom line, IMO I would buy the Win 7 machine. Better performance, more control.
Added note: I don't know this but IMO MS will continue to dumb down Windows so that it becomes a completely cross platform OS for both desktop, tablet, and mobile. That was the whole reasoning for Win 8 to go in that direction. The fact is most consumers now use their mobile far more than a desktop. But there are just too many things productivity wise that you cannot do on a tablet or mobile. And to try and make a one size fits all architecture for all devices is a huge mistake IMO. You also have web design "creep" I call it. Lots of people who need to justify keeping their job so they come up with "newer" and "better" ways of doing things or how things look, when the existing application works just fine.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 08:12   #28

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

If something is as good as many of the replies above suggest, then one has to wonder why Microsoft is giving it away. One can argue they are simply righting the problems of Win 8, helping out frustrated customers, preparing to charge an annual fee, ultimately moving everyone to the cloud and leased software, getting greater control over the use of other software (both their own and other companies), inserting backdoors for government use, preparing for stricter copyright enforcement under the new trade act.... the list seems endless.

I have Win 10 on one laptop (which used to have the hated Win 8) and Win 7 on another. It works great except for constant messages that I can upgrade to Win 10 for free. You gotta wonder what is going on.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 08:17   #29

Boat: Catalina 30 TR

I am an OS junky, I guess, but you can try all of them and find the one you like. Go get VirtualBox (free) https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and then you can try different ones until you find one that meets your needs. If you don't like it you delete it.

I use Windows 10, but I have an my old physical Windows 7 machine running as a VM. This way I can use old programs I have installed and take my time getting a new machine the way I want it. I can take the VM and run it on my Macbook if needed. Once you get used to Virtual Machines, you will find all kinds of cool things for them. I have a VM for programming, one with a web server and SQL database, one Ubuntu box running Owncloud (free Dropbox type server) to store files that I can get to easily with no storage limits, etc.

You can run Windows on Linux or a Mac, or Linux on Windows or a Mac.

One thing I really like about VMs is the snapshot ability. Before you go and install a weird program or decide to mess with things, you can snapshot it and then if it doesn't work out, you revert to the snapshot and try again.

Sorry for the rambling.
CShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 08:20   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Haven't seen this specific question asked but if I missed the thread feel free to berate me and direct me to the discussion.

Time for a new laptop and I find a lot still loaded with Windows 7 (usually 7 Pro) but most loaded with 10. Will mainly use it for email, browsing, saving some boat files, docs and manuals, an occasional movies and of course OpenCPN.

So which way to go. I hated Win 8 and tiles but a salesman (who was trying to sell me a Win10 laptop so I'm taking what he said with a grain of salt), tells me the tiles are gone and Win10 looks and feels more like Win7.

Another point, seems like each succeeding version of Windows is more of a resource hog than the one before, requiring more power and memory to run. Is that the case with Win10 vs Win7.

Any other issues or questions I should ask.

And before this suggestion pops up, don't think I want to go with some Linux version. I may be wrong but from discussions I see about Linux it requires more time and effort to install, compile, configure, etc and I just don't have the time or interest in getting involved in something like that.
I mistakenly downloaded 10. I am not a computer geek by any far stretch of the imagination. I find it adds a step to everything. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind