Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2016, 13:30   #31

Send a message via AIM to Rarest Iowa
Re: Windows 10 installed without my permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
A contrarian opinion: the cloud is mostly a way of getting more of your money, while you lose control of your reliability, security and privacy. Instead buy your own Network Attached Server (NAS) and create your own "cloud". This is not for everyone, but for reasonably experienced users it is a great option.

Greg
Not explicitly disagreeing with you Greg, but I would argue with you on reliability. We've been using Azure for low-level cloud workloads in our organization, and it's been great. Moving web-based processing has proven to be very beneficial for us. We're consider Active Directory migration, but the security aspect is concerning. While most data can be encrypted at-rest, but idea of privacy in the cloud, I agree, is a bit of a pipe dream.
Rarest Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 13:49   #32

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Statistically it is probably true that the service interruptions with a name brand cloud service are less than a typical roll-your-own server - it really depends. Some of the cloud servers have been down for hours at a time, albeit rarely - the problem being that it is not in the user's control. Of course to be better on a commercial level requires multiple locations with automatic redirect on fail - and off we go into geek heaven. Not really a topic for this forum. Agreed that for a consumer reliability is not an issue, but privacy and security are. When cloud services scan your documents/emails/chats in order to profile you for ads you have little privacy. And cloud servers are a magnet for hackers, as a breach can reveal large numbers of users/passwords/data.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 14:14   #33

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Actually the Mac security is years behind Windows!!! They you boot a Mac, a few keyboard commands (well documented on the Internet) and you can bypass the admin security. It's not even hard! I used to do it regularly in a previous job for people who lost their admin passwords!
pcmm & bletso:
Here you go ' 5 ways to secure OS X - TechRepublic '. Should cover most known issues.
Midnight Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 14:24   #34

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Actually the Mac security is years behind Windows!!! They you boot a Mac, a few keyboard commands (well documented on the Internet) and you can bypass the admin security. It's not even hard! I used to do it regularly in a previous job for people who lost their admin passwords!
Quote:
Nothing new here - Windows IS malware.

I recommend downloading a control panel named GWX (named after M$'s GWX.exe which is the app which Gets Windows eXperience). The control panel blocks all of the Win 10 upgrade nonsense.

Ideally you should not allow M$ to update automatically, just notify you. Then look through the updates and don't install the bad ones. This takes a bit of time to research so not really practical for most users. BTW Win 10 Home users no longer have a choice as all updates are automatically applied without permission.

Personally I think the best thing for Win 7 users to do is clone their system, to an SSD if not already installed. Then take one copy and accept the Win 10 upgrade. Put that in a safe place and go back to using Win 7 until 2020 (Win 7 support ends in late 2019). By getting the Win 10 copy now you avoid having to pay for it after this July. M$ has been very cagey about discussing their billing plans but you should be prepared for an announcement this summer that all updates, including security patches, will be available on subscription beginning at some point in the not-so-distant future. M$ is not in the business of charity...

The real answer is to migrate to Linux. Arguably the best free consumer desktop is Linux Mint, and also one of the most popular. You can try it in a VirtualBox virtual machine, or install as a dual boot option.

Greg
Try SUSE Leap 42, needs lots of help for OpenCPN. Otherwise a lot easier than most Distros. BTW Linux user since 1996.
Midnight Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 14:44   #35

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

Quote:
M$ has been very cagey about discussing their billing plans but you should be prepared for an announcement this summer that all updates, including security patches, will be available on subscription beginning at some point in the not-so-distant future. M$ is not in the business of charity...

The real answer is to migrate to Linux. Arguably the best free consumer desktop is Linux Mint, and also one of the most popular. You can try it in a VirtualBox virtual machine, or install as a dual boot option.

Greg
I used to work for a technology retailer in B2B sales. MS reps have made no secret of the fact that MS is pushing everyone into subscription based scenarios for all their software. That is one reason for cutting support for the older OS versions. As CarinaPDX said, I would look for all MS software to be available only on a subscription basis in the next 2-5 years.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 15:42   #36

Boat: Compass 29

I moved to Apple Mac about 10 years ago for my business & personal. Never looked back.
yachttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 15:56   #37

Same problem on my home PC.

Uninstall the windows 10 install App update:

How to Remove the “Get Windows 10” Icon from Your System Tray (and Stop Those Upgrade Notifications)
ronjgarner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 16:15   #38

Hmmmmm, wonder if MS etc. have any interest in the malware industry. Of course not, you say, we can trust these guys!

But what exactly is it they can be trusted to do? No difficulty figuring that one out. Once a pirate, always a pirate.
Old 30-05-2016, 16:24   #39

Boat: Bristol 41.1

As incredibly intrusive as Windows 10 is, I am really surprised that there hasn't been more of a pushback against Microsoft. This seems like a perfect occasion for a class action lawsuit. I believe that Microsoft is currently being sued in China, and has been successfully prosecuted in Europe for its business practices.

Microsoft is not your friend. Worried about Big Brother spying? Windows 10 is there. Looking at your keystrokes, documents, Skype conversations, etc. All legally listed in the 68 page User Agreement.

Yes, be afraid. Be very afraid!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 16:30   #40

Boat: a sailing boat

I switch all updates by default on any new thing.

No problem using 10 though. Windows as any other.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 17:12   #41

So you can insult me if you like, but I'm old enough to pre date the ubiquity of everyday computer/internet addiction and am not convinced that it has improved life in general.(and yes I am aware of its advantages and that I am indeed using it to state this), but do we really have to be subjected to all of this information overload, constantly? I know many people who can't fathom doing without the internet daily.

This is one of the reasons I'm going cruising: to get away and find peace.
sailorjed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 17:12   #42

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Windows 10 isn't that bad, but you don't need to be Nostradamus to see why they are pushing out Windows 10. London to a brick Windows 10.1 will be subscription and your Windows 10 will no longer receive critical updates until you subscribe.

I moved to Linux for my host OS about 2 years ago and never looked back. The only thing Windows 10 is used for by me is the entertainment PC connected to my TV set. A role which Win 10 is very good at. I'd say unless you need to run specific Windows applications, give Linux a try. Like some other posters, I use Mint for the boat's laptop and Ubuntu for the home/office. Interesting to read about Ubuntu spyware, but in a world where we need to provide identifiable personal information and, at times, credit card details recorded for Apple, Microsoft and Google accounts, I'll take the lesser of the evils. Besides, Linux is the easiest ever to turn off automatic updating which is a pretty critical feature in regards to living off the grid with limited Internet connectivity.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 17:37   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjed3 View Post
So you can insult me if you like, but I'm old enough to pre date the ubiquity of everyday computer/internet addiction and am not convinced that it has improved life in general.(and yes I am aware of its advantages and that I am indeed using it to state this), but do we really have to be subjected to all of this information overload, constantly? I know many people who can't fathom doing without the internet daily.

This is one of the reasons I'm going cruising: to get away and find peace.
It COULD be a quality improvement if the whole damn movement wasn't about getting all the money, gaining control (of who knows what). Not to be be the ultimate judge, but it doesn't seem to have done their souls any good.
It's a wonderful medium, and just like total crap television, almost total crap. . . except for the great stuff that people contribute.
Old 30-05-2016, 17:43   #44

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Boo hoo. If you do not know how to fix, go to nearest computer repair guy and have him fix it for $50 or so. I understand the feeling of violation but the fix is easy.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 22:16   #45

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
Microsoft sucks. Apple sucks. Twitter, Facebook, etc., etc. all suck. Ah... today's world of electronic gizmos, gadgets and communication tools.

Remedy???... Cast off the dock lines and give family/friends a plastic cup with a string tied to it. You have another cup on your end. Tell them as long as the string holds out, they can contact you.

(make it a very short string and be happy!)

. . . LOL . . . How true!
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind