Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2019, 03:50   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Wind speed Tacktick Mn-102 change of bearings

Our refurbished windy continues to perform fine (seasonal use).

With regard to the battery question, I had the same thought. I did open up the unit, but for some reason (which I can’t remember now) I was unable to make the replacement myself. Perhaps I felt I might do more damage in the process — I honestly forget.
Old 28-05-2019, 08:14   #17

Decided to replace mine with a wired Nasa target unit, fraction of the price, and the head is easily replaceable (once you reach the masthead...)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:56   #18

I didn't have much luck. I could not figure out how to get the B&W disk out, since the hole in the side was too high to get a screwdriver under the disk, and the metal clip would not yield. I tried injecting CRC and WD-40 UNDER the disk to get it into the bearings but not only did this fail, but the silver on the disk melted away!

Giving the disk up for lost, I tried everything to get it out and eventually had to cut it apart with - - big toe nail clippers (sorry you had to read that)!

I removed the black retaining disk below the B&W, but still no results with the WD40. I tried unscrewing the cup assembly, but after 2000 turns figured it was a press on.

I thought I could try and tap the shaft out the bottom, but this didn't work with light taps and while I waited a few days to figure out whether I should get a small sledge hammer, presto! The thing loosened up and started spinning like new!

So now, two questions:

1. I would buy the lower replacement unit, but the only one sold is for the version that looks like an inverted rocke nose cone. I have the one that looks like an inverted Budwieser bottle! So is there a way to get ONLY the B&W disk or do I have to buy the $86 nose cone unit and take the B&W disk out of that? And will it fit in the older Bud version, and work?

2. I still see a lot of versions of the entire unit for sale and the pictures feature the Budweiser version. If that's still in production somewhere, why isn't the lower half of that for sale? Can't find any useful parts anywher for the Bud. Makes me want to switch to whiskey.

Thanks everyone for reading this. I hope I made it funny enough to finish!

Quasimotor
Quasimotor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind