Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2015, 19:05   #1

Boat: Oyster 49
Wind instrument NMEA 0183 or N2K

I am looking to upgrade my wind instrument to get one that can be calibrated to read TWD the same on both tacks. My masthead unit is Raymarine and only three years old. When I tack the TWD calculated from the wind sensor and speed though water will vary by 20 degrees. The sped through water is reasonably accurate based on calibration, so the problem seems to be the mast head unit and the inability to apply corrections for up wash on different tacks and point oF sail. I am looking for something more accurate so I can track wind shifts to optimize tacking amongst other things. I am a cruiser but want to compete in regattas, and be competitive and know that I am sailing the boat well to hit my target speeds. Currently I have no confidence in my wind instrument.
From practical sailor and other reviews the NKE HR sensor combined with an NKE multigraphic display seems to give me what I am looking for without having to go to a B&G with regatta processor, but this is all 0183.
I updated my MFDs a couple of years ago and went with the Furuno system using an N2K and Ethernet bus with the idea that when I updated my instruments they would all be N2K. I have two Furuno MFDs, a navigation computer running Maxsea, AIS, gps, flux gate heading sensor and radar on the Furuno system. The instruments are all Raymarine ST60 with NMEA 0183 which can be accepted by the Furuno. I also have a wifi multiplexer to transmit all of the instrument data forwarded from the Furuno system. The instrument data is sent to an iPad running iregatta. My autopilot is also Raymarine and will be replaced in a few years with an adaptive control system - I am also considering NKE with a Jefa drive.
I know that N2K avoids all the daisy chain issues and has a faster data rate than 0183, but with a wind sensor is the faster sampling rate worth it. I am looking at smoothing the data to get rid of noise from mast movement. Similarly with boat speed through the water needed to calculate the TWD, is sampling rate an issue? For the wind and water sensors is there any point in waiting for N2K sensors along with a system that permits calibration without spending $5,000 on a regatta processor? Is the NKE the right way to go?
Also has anyone interfaced NKE with Furuno.
neilsty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, nmea, nmea 0183, rum, wind