Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2021, 17:36   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
WIFI offshore

Does anyone have any good suggestions for Internet nearshore?

I'm looking for a WIFI extender that can work with captive portal, and other logon schemes for free WIFI, plus a cellular hotspot that has a marine external antenna for when too far for a shore wifi.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 17:51   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: WIFI offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Does anyone have any good suggestions for Internet nearshore?

I'm looking for a WIFI extender that can work with captive portal, and other logon schemes for free WIFI, plus a cellular hotspot that has a marine external antenna for when too far for a shore wifi.
We use both wifi and cellular external antennas on our boat. Both plug directly into the laptop computer with USB cables and the connections are managed by the laptop.

A windows application called Connectify then broadcasts the Internet connection throughout the boat.

The WiFi extender we use (after years of trying to use other brands and types) is a Bear Outdoor Extender. It is directional and works well at quite long distances however you must keep it pointed at the Access Points. Works excellently in marinas to exclude multipath propagation of signals bounced off nearby masts. Works very well in anchorages to use WiFi from bars and restaurants as long as you can keep it pointed the right direction.

The cellular extender we use is simply a USB cellular modem with a sim card which is on a 15ft cable and is hung outside the cabin.

Again, both of these devices put Internet onto our laptop and Connectify spreads it around the boat.

On nearshore passages and in anchorages we almost always have Internet.
wingssail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 17:56   #3

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for.
Old 19-08-2021, 18:18   #4

How about the King Ks1000, anyone use it?

I'm a little leary of the USB, although it is plug, and play, I don't want to use my laptop to rebroadcast to my smart TV.
Old 21-08-2021, 17:15   #5

Last question, does the bearify work with captive portal logins?
Old 21-08-2021, 17:55   #6

Quote:
How about the King Ks1000, anyone use it?

I'm a little leary of the USB, although it is plug, and play, I don't want to use my laptop to rebroadcast to my smart TV.
Using the USB extender does not rebroadcast your smart TV more than any -other WiFi. It is protected by the same password protection and encryption as any other non-open access point.

If you chose to use a local wifi broadcast device such as Connectify than it will be visible, but people cannot see it without your giving them the password (other than some hackers perhaps). They will see your signal but cannot get on it.

Quote:
Last question, does the bearify work with captive portal logins?
If you mean Bear Outdoor Extender then yes, it does, but you'd still have to get past the portal to do anything else on the Internet, same as is you were any connection.
Old 21-08-2021, 18:44   #7

Forget wifi. 95% of marina wifi is hopelessly slow for today's streaming demands. It was set up for email. And what little speed they have collapses at 6PM as everyone gets on. Cell is faster, more reliable and usually cheaper on a monthly basis. We haven't used our $200 wifi amplifier for 3 years.

For cell the expensive cell amplifiers don't work well with LTE/4G. You get more bars but not more speed. What works best is a $50 MIMO antenna that plugs into your hotspot or router. Most people just suction cup the antenna to a cabin window. Putting it up a mast doesn't help because you loose too much signal in the long coax.

Join the Mobile Internet Resource Center. They study the problem all the time:

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 19:31   #8

Actually ny concern was more using my laptop as a laptop instead of a router, but I just found a router with USB WAN so I'm good. Also works with cell modems, and VPN.
Old 21-08-2021, 19:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Forget wifi. 95% of marina wifi is hopelessly slow for today's streaming demands. It was set up for email. And what little speed they have collapses at 6PM as everyone gets on. Cell is faster, more reliable and usually cheaper on a monthly basis...

I believe that the biggest problem in marina WiFi is multi-path propagation: signals bounced of many, many masts. I've found that since going to a directional antenna (a cheap one) we eliminated these problems and the basic (FREE!) wifi is excellent in many marinas and also useful receiving for signals from bars and restaurants when anchored off the town. We're streaming video every night and watching news videos much of the time during the day. We do this most places we cruise to. We only use cell data when WiFi is not available. The most we've spent is several years is $40 in a single month. Maybe you have a bit more money to spend

they are also selling stuff
CarlF, You speak so authoritatively. How do you know so much about all marina Wi-Fi? (or is that just an opinion based on your own experiences?)

The problem with cell is that it is data limited. Your cellular data plan won't stand up to the demands of heavy users streaming music, movies, and news like what most home internet users are accustomed to. Even "unlimited" plans throttle your data after a specified amounts.

But, dang, every month? I've got better things to throw my money away on.
Old 21-08-2021, 19:59   #10

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

Based off MillerTech and SeaBitsí blogs, I went with the Peplink Max Transit 5G and an external antenna. Based off Mobile Internet Resource Center, I went with the 50gB for $50 plan from TMobile, and because it has a dual SIM setup, I added GoogleFi as backup and overseas. This is about the best we can do near shore until Starlink, which in itself will be a massive power hungry, huge system
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 22:07   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Forget wifi. 95% of marina wifi is hopelessly slow for today's streaming demands. It was set up for email. And what little speed they have collapses at 6PM as everyone gets on. Cell is faster, more reliable and usually cheaper on a monthly basis. We haven't used our $200 wifi amplifier for 3 years.

For cell the expensive cell amplifiers don't work well with LTE/4G. You get more bars but not more speed. What works best is a $50 MIMO antenna that plugs into your hotspot or router. Most people just suction cup the antenna to a cabin window. Putting it up a mast doesn't help because you loose too much signal in the long coax.

Link for the antenna you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
Based off MillerTech and SeaBitsí blogs, I went with the Peplink Max Transit 5G and an external antenna. Based off Mobile Internet Resource Center, I went with the 50gB for $50 plan from TMobile, and because it has a dual SIM setup, I added GoogleFi as backup and overseas. This is about the best we can do near shore until Starlink, which in itself will be a massive power hungry, huge system
Have a link?
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 02:13   #12

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

I got this one: https://www.milltechmarine.com/Peplink-Mobility-40G-4x4-MIMO-LTEGPS-Antenna_p_648.html
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 02:39   #13

Musk needs to get his satellites in orbit quicker.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore, wifi